AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 AM

Venom EU7 does have modern CCI (v3) filtering built-in:
"CCI™ v3 modules isolate power line noise from one component to another component. These new *CCI™ modules were originally developed in our military, scientific and medical imaging research programs. They are currently being used to great effect in Electrophysiology heart surgery. As used in the EU7, noise may be reduced more than -24dB from 100 KHz to 10 MHz!"

Hydra 8 is an olden goldie, will it surpass an EU7? It's a beast with large copper buss bars and the salt/sand(?) compound inside. Apart from the compound I'm not sure what kind of dB filtering is present in the Hydra 8.

I have owned both, I would definately go for the current EU7 as we now have more digital related noise and I think hydra8 was more fit for the earlier non-SMPS era.

As for cable, I run the Venom HC V1 (no filter) to the Venom EU7 (24db CCI filters) currently. If I would get a new cable today I would just go for the new Venom XC V10 C19 or any of the higher XC's and be done.

Last edited by crion2; 05-20-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:13 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Venom EU7 does have modern CCI (v3) filtering built-in:
"CCI™ v3 modules isolate power line noise from one component to another component. These new *CCI™ modules were originally developed in our military, scientific and medical imaging research programs. They are currently being used to great effect in Electrophysiology heart surgery. As used in the EU7, noise may be reduced more than -24dB from 100 KHz to 10 MHz!"
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 AM

Thanks guys! Many thanks!

So, what I understood is that the Venom EU7 does not have any NCI filters, but a CCI module (Component-to-Component-Interference) therefore it is best served by a NR cable (I have found this statement on their website: "The Venom V10 XC was designed for Shunyata Research power conditioners where the NR technology is not required"). So, since the Venom EU7 does not provide "traditional" NR, I guess my assumption would be correct. The Venom EU7 probably is a power distributor more than a power conditioner. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I have made up my mind to go for a Shunyata power distribution chain, now I just want to have an "easy" start (easy for the wallet, I mean).

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 AM

The EUropean Venom EU7 and the similar UK6 and the Aussie AU8 all have transient protection built in and they have approximately 24-28 dB of broadband noise reduction.

I would recommend the XC model cables for all of these power distributors. Then use NR models for the connections to the components plugged into the distributor.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:47 AM

Thanks Caelin, much appreciated!
Old 05-24-2020, 04:20 PM

I am back here reporting that my Delta NR cable is performing "as expected" (meaning that all the "sound descriptions/improvements" I was reading here are spot on in my case as well). And this happened after swapping only the power cord for my integrated amplifier. A new Venom NR V10 has replaced the VdH cable for the CD player yesterday, so now it is just settling in.

*The Venom NR V10 Schuko adapter has a "rotating part" on its upper side, is there any use of that. I saw no mention in the papers that came with the cable.

Aside from these, I was wondering if the Shunyata power cables have found any applications on the turntable side of the analogue world. I don't remember reading at all here about turntables and Shunyata power cables.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM

For the record, my recent XC cables came to the front setup, that meant a Sigma HC was freed. Plugged it into the Venom EU7 and daymn! That setup really sings now. It was current limited with the previous Venom HC v1.

For some reason I had the Talos/Anaconda setup there previously but funds were tight and only a EU7 and a venom HC made it back. Now it sounds better than ever so that should tell you something..
Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
For the record, my recent XC cables came to the front setup, that meant a Sigma HC was freed. Plugged it into the Venom EU7 and daymn! That setup really sings now. It was current limited with the previous Venom HC v1.

For some reason I had the Talos/Anaconda setup there previously but funds were tight and only a EU7 and a venom HC made it back. Now it sounds better than ever so that should tell you something..
Funny how that works...

Enjoy.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:48 PM

Does anyone know what is the purpose for the "rotating part" above the Schuko connector on the Venom NR power cable?