AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 12-16-2016, 08:55 PM

Default Whats your opinion on MQA

Been reading a lot about Meridians new MQA decoding and how its being considered the next step in digital playback.

I know Mytek now has a DAC (reasonably priced) that can decode the signal.
Has anyone heard it and what are your thoughts.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Until Warner releases their titles we are in a holding pattern. The best sound I have ever heard has been MQA. Then again I have a few MQA titles that are very ho-hum. Most of what is currently commercially available is not the music most of us listen to.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 PM

I can't tell a difference at the shows. Maybe in my home, but I don't think this is a game changer.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I can't tell a difference at the shows. Maybe in my home, but I don't think this is a game changer.
You must not have been at RMAF this year.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:58 PM

I was.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 PM

I have not heard MQA so I can not offer any opinion ..... only to say that I look forward to sampling MQA when it goes mainstream, if/when Tidal begins streaming, I will dive right in. I picked up a Meridian 808v6, well it's a 808v3 updated to v6, picked it up for new system I'm building. Can't wait. For anyone interested in MQA, I recommend you read Robert Harley's MQA and 808v6 review in TAS earlier this year. I'm a believer .... time will tell.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 AM

I have bought the small Meridian headphone AMP/DAC, tried it with my Audeze LCD-X, there is a slight improvement compared to normal 16/44 (or High res), but till now not fully convinced. (for me the proof is that I am still using my Chord Hugo a lot more)

Not yet listened to a full rig, will hold my final judgement till I do. There seemed to be a bit of a wave earlier this year regarding MQA, but looks like it has gotten a bit quiet ?

In the end I still think the way the recording itself is done is more important.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I have not heard MQA so I can not offer any opinion ...
That's a fair position, but it's not one I share.
I have an opinion about almost everything. How can one not have preferences? The important thing is to be willing to alter an opinion as facts warrant.

I've been in high-end audio for more than 40 years. (I started in my teens.) I've seen all sorts of supposedly high-end innovations come and go. I remember Bert Whyte extolling the virtues of CX noise reduction. I'm glad I never jumped into that! Remember the Elcasette? DAT? Minidisc? DCC? They are pretty much all on the ash heap of audio history.

When CD was first introduced, I found its technology very, very attractive but the sound ... not so much! I kept my LPs, and didn't add compact disc to my system until an album I really wanted to buy was only available on CD. That was years after CD first debuted.

I have many tens of thousands of dollars tied up in my audio system and one reason it hasn't cost me more than it has is that I'm not an early adopter, and I'm not a member of the Component-of-the-Month Club. Yes, I'm always willing to update the system but no, I don't need to be the first kid on the block with the latest shiny toy or newest brilliant innovation.

At the risk of being chided here, I think the SQ we can get today from "conventional" sources - by which I mean Redbook CD, SACD, LP, analog tape and digital files - can be incredibly excellent. Goosebumps! So, sorry, I'm not excited about what still appears to be a half-baked technology that's long on promise and short on actual implementation. I don't doubt that it can sound terrific. But so can LP. And - you can shoot me for this - so can FM even, when it's done properly. (Of course, it rarely is!)

Those who are early adopters and who are anxious to try new formats and technologies have my gratitude. You're the folks who identify the areas in need of improvement and build the critical mass for things such as CD to become commonplace and allow an economy of scale for manufacturers. I don't mean that to sound cynical; I know that many people find enjoyment in that kind of adventure. But I'd rather enjoy the music that I have than the latest hot ticket toy. Of course I'll explore MQA if it gains traction. So far, there's no real evidence that will happen.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:18 PM

Default Whats your opinion on MQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
That's a fair position, but it's not one I share.

I have an opinion about almost everything. How can one not have preferences? The important thing is to be willing to alter an opinion as facts warrant.

I've been in high-end audio for more than 40 years. (I started in my teens.) I've seen all sorts of supposedly high-end innovations come and go. I remember Bert Whyte extolling the virtues of CX noise reduction. I'm glad I never jumped into that! Remember the Elcasette? DAT? Minidisc? DCC? They are pretty much all on the ash heap of audio history.

When CD was first introduced, I found its technology very, very attractive but the sound ... not so much! I kept my LPs, and didn't add compact disc to my system until an album I really wanted to buy was only available on CD. That was years after CD first debuted.

I have many tens of thousands of dollars tied up in my audio system and one reason it hasn't cost me more than it has is that I'm not an early adopter, and I'm not a member of the Component-of-the-Month Club. Yes, I'm always willing to update the system but no, I don't need to be the first kid on the block with the latest shiny toy or newest brilliant innovation.

At the risk of being chided here, I think the SQ we can get today from "conventional" sources - by which I mean Redbook CD, SACD, LP, analog tape and digital files - can be incredibly excellent. Goosebumps! So, sorry, I'm not excited about what still appears to be a half-baked technology that's long on promise and short on actual implementation. I don't doubt that it can sound terrific. But so can LP. And - you can shoot me for this - so can FM even, when it's done properly. (Of course, it rarely is!)

Those who are early adopters and who are anxious to try new formats and technologies have my gratitude. You're the folks who identify the areas in need of improvement and build the critical mass for things such as CD to become commonplace and allow an economy of scale for manufacturers. I don't mean that to sound cynical; I know that many people find enjoyment in that kind of adventure. But I'd rather enjoy the music that I have than the latest hot ticket toy. Of course I'll explore MQA if it gains traction. So far, there's no real evidence that will happen.

Excellent post.

I was referring more to OP final sentence where to paraphrase he asked "if anyone has actually listened to MQA files and, if so, what are your thoughts".

I can't opine on whether or not it will be revolutionary as some luminaries in the audio press state. I believe it will be a significant format, if, and that's a big if, the market and major labels support it.

Personally, I bought the 808 strictly on its reputation as an excellent CD/DAC, one of the best one box unit available.

You are correct, the best MQA file may not sound any better than the best hi-red PCM, red book file or vinyl album. Much more to great sound than format!

It could be "revolutionary" in regards to distribution given the ability to stream a hi-res file, 24/192 or whatever, at a bit rate lower than red book. At this point, it sounds like magic.

Stuart is a smart guy. I too wouldn't rush it to market without a solid plan to ensure long term survival. Getting the labels to transcode (if that's the correct term) their vast collections to MQA must be an enormous task. But one that will be absolutely necessary for success.

I wish them well in their endeavors. My opinion is that they will succeed, I'm a believer.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 12-17-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I have not heard MQA so I can not offer any opinion ..... only to say that I look forward to sampling MQA when it goes mainstream, if/when Tidal begins streaming, I will dive right in. I picked up a Meridian 808v6, well it's a 808v3 updated to v6, picked it up for new system I'm building. Can't wait. For anyone interested in MQA, I recommend you read Robert Harley's MQA and 808v6 review in TAS earlier this year. I'm a believer .... time will tell.
I did read something by Harley that said MQA is night and day better than what we have now. Later something in Stereophile ( I think)that was a good deal less enthusiastic. i use Tidal and word is they will stream in MQA at some point. Bottom line for me is my DAC upgrade plans are on the back burner until we know more.