AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion > Completed Marketplace Sales

Completed Marketplace Sales Memorable AA Sales threads

Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Default The value in modded updated gear!

While I do not have the vast sums of $$$ tied up in my gear that many of my fellow members do, I do have the same investment of passion for our hobby. Back in the early 70's I had a system that many coveted. That went the way of a new beginning, and I rediscovered my passion for 2 channel audio about 7 years ago. My two daughters were going off to college and I was investing in a new business venture so funds were very limited. I went the vintage route searching for that "sound". You know the one I'm talking about, the one that brings a smile and says- oh yeah now we are getting somewhere. After going through tons of equipment (bought, upgraded and sold) I have ended up here.
My system consists of updated gear, DIY interconnects of Mil spec silver cable, modified Magnapan MG III's actively tri-amped, fed by solid silver woven speaker cables powered by Acurus amps using a Beheringer DCX 2496 crossover off to be modified by Engler Electronics, a modified Thorens TD160 turntable and the list goes on and on. The system sounds wonderful and draws me deep into the music. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and thoughts on gear, and especially music, and enjoy the lack of attitude in response to any of my posts. There is no snobbishness, nor the reverse snobbishness found on other forums.

I guess what I'm saying is thanks for allowing me to take this journey with you gentlemen, and all the best to AA in 2011.

Regards,
Jim
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 PM

Jim
Great post.

We are all just chasing that "sound" you describe. There are many ways to get there and there is no one correct answer, just a lot of great options. I have no doubt that your Maggie's are giving you hours of enjoyment.

Jim
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Jim
Great post.

We are all just chasing that "sound" you describe. There are many ways to get there and there is no one correct answer, just a lot of great options. I have no doubt that your Maggie's are giving you hours of enjoyment.

Jim
Thanks for the kind words, it is appreciated.
Regards,
Jim
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

It looks as though you have spent a great deal of time, effort, and thought putting together a system that probably meets or exceeds the musical enjoyment of a lot of our systems that have been put together piece meal by trying to "upgrade" our stuff one component, or one piece at a time.

I know that I have shipped out many great components and replaced them with things that may or may not have been any better, if as good, just searching for improvement that sometimes, just doesn't happen.

I've made many mistakes, sold speakers to replace them with new ones, and when they came in, I was greatly disappointed. Same thing with amps, preamps, integrated amps, cd players, wires, etc. etc. etc. And, the worst thing is that I have spent a great deal of hard earned cash with a lot of meaningless trades.

I wish like heck that I could just get a system, decide that it is "good enough" and quit trying to make it better.

Congratulations on a well thought out, well designed and I'm sure, great sounding system.

My advice. . . . Don't change a thing

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

The quest has been a long but interesting journey with the chance to hear and experience a lot of gear. It is interesting just how much synergy comes into play in a system. The one draw back to tri-amping is the expense of updating 3 amplifiers! I'm very happy with my rig as it sits and the longing to try new equipment has really subsided for me as my attention has turned to aquiring new media, especially Classical.

However a friend is bringing over his McIntosh MC275 MkIV to insert in the system on the ribbons after the first of the year which should be very interesting indeed.

Yea I'm saving my funds as we speak!

Happy Holidays,
Jim
Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
McKlipschead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
...However a friend is bringing over his McIntosh MC275 MkIV to insert in the system on the ribbons after the first of the year which should be very interesting indeed.

Yea I'm saving my funds as we speak!

Happy Holidays,
Jim
Danger, Will Robinson

Last edited by bradleyc; 12-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM

You have a wonderfully musical system to be envied.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 PM

As well said by "jprice", somehow, sometime, we made mistakes along the hifi journey.

I just did a reminiscing of what I used to have, sold and sorely missed. And oh yes, I have been trying to buy back these vintage beauties of yore (in excellent condition if possible, but so far, none turn up available).

You really have a well thought out collectable system. Indeed they will make wonderful musical enjoyment for many years to come.

Congratulation!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 12-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Chief Toneologist

Cool system Jim!

We not only have similar audio goals (chasing a particular vintage sound (I call it "Delicious Sound"), but I've owned a few of the components you do (e.g. the Acurus amp (and pre-amp) - great value, Magneplar speakers, the Behringer EQ, and the mythic Thorens). I also found DIY cables to suit me better - not because I'm cheap (I still have $2K of cables in some closet) but because I know what sounds I like and often times expensive components move the system in the wrong direction.

I know some people (none in this forum) are often puzzled by my choice of components: "What's a 30+ year old Thorens + SME tonearm doing in a system with MDA1000, MC501s and Sonus Faber Guarneris???"

As you, I've discovered that more and more expensive does not necessarily mean better. In the end nothing is as satisfying as putting together a system your way and with care and passion. Be it MasterLu's awesome set up or one of our more modest ones.

Alberto
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Yer Deity fer dis evenin'

I recently bought a used pair of 84' Klipsch Cornwall 1.5's and gutted the cabinets of all drivers and networks since they were sounding pretty dead and dull. I contacted Bob Crites and his shop sent me all the needed parts and quite frankly I think I have a better sounding speaker with better parts than if I just updated the networks alone.....

.......and for less than half the total cost of a new pair!