AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
James...I would agree with you generally that highly accurate/revealing components may not be welcome in some systems (based on owner's listening preferences) but Michael Fremer has used high-powered SS highly accurate and revealing electronics from Musical Fidelity for quite some time. So I don't think it's that. It may be that there might have been an impedance (or other type of) mismatch between his pre-amp and the 7B SST-2's. Not sure. I am assuming this just came out in the latest Stereophile issue and I haven't received mine yet. Does anyone know what pre-amp was used in Fremer's system with the 7B SST-2? Just a thought.
Hi Cyril,

You may be correct but it would have to be a really huge output impedance on the preamp and I am sure that an experienced reviewer would or should be aware of these types of issues.

james
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Ok I just received the Stereophile issue and read the review. Jeez! There is no impedance mismatch between the Dartzeel pre used and the 7b SST-2. Furthermore, JA's measurements conclude that the 7B SST-2 "offers up textbook measured performance and usefully high power." It will be interesting to see if Stereophile will do a follow up review , especially given the dissonance between the amp's measured performance and MF's listening impressions (notwithstanding the issue with the replacement unit etc...).
Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Cyril,

You may be correct but it would have to be a really huge output impedance on the preamp and I am sure that an experienced reviewer would or should be aware of these types of issues.

james
You are absolutely correct. I checked the output impedance of the Dartzeel is 50ohms (BNC) and <100ohms (RCA) in single ended config. The input impedance for the 7B SST-2 is stated as 50Kohms in single ended configin your spec sheet (although JA measured it at 7.5Kohms). Either way, there is no issue here. The output impedance in the Dartzeel is 600ohms through balanced config but JA mentions that the balanced connection was not compatible with the 7B SST-2. So that was not used. As you say, these guys have been around the block and would have identified this up front and certainly JA addresses this possibility in his measured performance section and rules it out.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
James...I would agree with you generally that highly accurate/revealing components may not be welcome in some systems (based on owner's listening preferences) but Michael Fremer has used high-powered SS highly accurate and revealing electronics from Musical Fidelity for quite some time. So I don't think it's that. It may be that there might have been an impedance (or other type of) mismatch between his pre-amp and the 7B SST-2's. Not sure. I am assuming this just came out in the latest Stereophile issue and I haven't received mine yet. Does anyone know what pre-amp was used in Fremer's system with the 7B SST-2? Just a thought.
This is what is listed in the review.
darTzel NHB-18NS, Musical Fidelity Primo as Pre-amps
Manley Steelhead, Audio Technica AT-PEQ3, Audio Valve Sunlida, Simaudio Moon LP5.3 and phono amps.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Thx Jim...I posted above what the output impedance of the Dartzeel NHB-18S was relative to the input impedance of the Bryston 7B SST-2.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Hi Folks,

Well I have to admit I am feeling a little bruised by all this and I think the problem is that any manufacturer that attempts to defend their product from these types of reviews just ends up looking like sour grapes.

james
Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Folks,

Well I have to admit I am feeling a little bruised by all this and I think the problem is that any manufacturer that attempts to defend their product from these types of reviews just ends up looking like sour grapes.

james
James
We understand.
I also believe that everyone needs to be very careful when mixing and matching components from different manufacturers in their system. You are rolling the dice and you do not know when that 7 will come up.
Jim
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

James.......In my humble opinion, you have done a fine job of remaining diplomatic, and presenting the majority view.

As for me, I think there is a Bryston dealer in Gainesville, Florida, and I plan to audition the 7B SST˛ for myself. Fremer gets the ink, but his words represent only one individual's opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM

Ok, just read the review. I think you guys are being a little harsh on Mikey.

Just a few observations and comments from my point of view.

Reading between the lines as usual, I came to the conclusion that there are a few things going on in this review.

One, no doubt Mikey must have gotten into a debate somewhere, somehow with one or more of those "all amplifiers sound the same" guys out there and was "hell bent for leather" to provide as many examples to prove his point as possible in that latest review of the 7B SST2.

Two, comparing an $8.5k Bryston monoblocks against $30k limited edition Musical Fidelity Titan amp is not exactly comparing apples to apples is it?

Now, I thought the review was well written and Mikey described the 7B SST2 in great detail and was even kind enough to re-review them when the manufacturer decided to switch the transformers on them to what they thought would bring an even better sonic result. Mikey described the amps as having well balanced tonality, they were not lean, etched, sterile, in fact he commented on their positive sonic attributes of having a creamy-smooth midrange, natural sounding treble that were neither rolled off nor too aggressive sounding and bass that seemed to be well balanced as well.

So where did the 7B SST2s fail him by comparison to a much more expensive amp that was built at a totally different price point? In microdynamic nuances, the spatial qualities, resolution? I have news for you guys, it is only logical that the $30k amp, if designed and built with as little compromises as possible and delivers the goods according to its price ticket, beats the 1/3 the price pair of monoblocks. That the Bryston didn't satisfy against the cheaper Parasound Halo JC 1s, is more of a concern in my opinion but then again the Parasound Halo JC 1 is either just right or a tad too soft/polite depending on who you ask. In combination with other gear and speakers the Bryston could have been in fact a better match .

So the Titan was able to recreate spatial qualities better, so it was more resolving, better microdynamics, better focus. Umm, yeah, I would hope so for the price.

Keeping in mind he was using the awesome Maxx 3 speakers that are able to bring out such differences in a vivid and unquestionable manner, a lesser pair of speakers could have easily buried those differences and there would have been much less to write about.

I don't know what Bryston is not happy with, it sounds like a great amp that delivers the sonic goods in line with its price range.

Having heard the 7B SST (not SST2) against my then pair of 501s in my own system, I thought the Bryston was even more detailed and resolving if not somewhat sterile sounding over the 501s, I guess Mikey would have really had a field day if he was comparing the 501s against the MF Titan amp!

That the SST2 sounds tonally balanced and Mikey did not find them lean, sterile, etched or hyper analytical is nature is very good news and shows that there must have been improvements from the SST generation.
That Bryston decided to switch out the transformers in the new SST2 also shows there is room for improvement and it was obviously not "perfect" as they were probably expecting the review to say. What amp is really perfect all around? There is always room for improvement, especially when compared others in a different price/performance league. I'd say job well done Bryston and if nothing less than "perfection" will do, try harder! Of course keeping in mind that many actually prefer an amp that sounds musical vs one that does everything well across the board and leaves the listener feeling cold. That is a balance that is really hard to achieve.

In conclusion, I thought it was a well written review, it tells the story of the 7B, underlines both the positives and the shortcomings just like a good review should. Sugar coating the reviews to please the manufacturer would be one great disservice to the readers who often rely on reviews to help them choose and in turn spend money of very expensive high end audio gear. Some pay more attention to reviews, some less and rely on their own ears and take system synergy into consideration but none the less, a reader should be able to read the truth and nothing but the truth and draw their own conclusion from dissecting the review and associated gear used within it.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-16-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
ve.

In conclusion, I thought it was a well written review, it tells the story of the 7B, underlines both the positives and the shortcomings just like a good review should. Sugar coating the reviews to please the manufacturer would be one great disservice to the readers who often rely on reviews to help them choose and in turn spend money of very expensive high end audio gear. Some pay more attention to reviews, some less and rely on their own ears and take system synergy into consideration but none the less, a reader should be able to read the truth and nothing but the truth and draw their own conclusion from dissecting the review and associated gear used within it.
+1
Sans the 501 comparison. (Amp of the yester-year)