AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Nice post!
re: the early Redbook brick wall filtering and subsequent MQA time-domain correction (so-called deconvolution, used in many optical applications to good effect). Agreed, as you mention, if the details of the original converter are known, than this could work.
Seems like an easy thing to demo to doubters. Has this been done?
Not separately, unfortunately. At least that I'm aware of. The MQA folks only demo the whole process and not the parts.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
I did not know that high-end equates to super expensive — plus the statement is ".....many of the high-end makers of DACs have decided to pass on MQA."

My opinion is high-end great sounding DACs don't need to cost more than a car.

Ron
Why do you think that the definition of high-end is any different in the crazy hobby of our than in watches, cars, wines, motorcycles.........???

I can't define where the line in the sand is for anyone but myself when it comes to purchasing audio gear. I do know that the high end in this hobby seems to be increasing prices faster than just about anything else I can think of and it is probably pricing me out of many upgrades.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Mark Waldrip runs a Hi-Rez download service and physical media company, AIX, whose business model is directly and incontrovertibly threatened by MQA.

One thing that's getting lost in the discussion is the ability of MQA to undo the damage done by the brick wall filtering used in the mastering of early Redbook CD's. Since there were very few of these converters used, it should be straightforward to apply the appropriate correction and improve the time domain performance of these CD's.

So the debate marches on unabated. I will say that for me there is no debate - hi-rez native files, even 24/96 win out in sound quality over MQA to my ears in my system. But no one is streaming those right now, and if they were, my slooow Century Link Internet service couldn't handle them anyway.

Which brings me to my current modus operandi - listen on Tidal MQA. For the very rare album with sound quality and artistry deserving of a hi-rez download, I'll buy the file.

Yes we are, up to 24/192 even, with Qobuz, without a single hiccup.
Over 50% of the new albums come out every week in high resolution (24/96 and 24/88.2 mostly).
Bandwidth might still be a problem now in some rural areas, but in a couple more years, this will no longer be an issue.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-22-2018, 06:06 PM

I want to comment on the 'limitations' of CD. I recently bought a Marantz SA-10 SACD player, and really just for the DAC it uses, since it is doing SACD and CD in an upconverted DSD process.
As an aside I would mention I am a high frequency maven, it really matters what the treble is doing..
And this now Device really solves for me, any CD hash issues I ever heard.
So what I am stating the digititus issue so many call a basic part of CD is not really the fault of the CD, more like the problem with a lot of DACs.
Just sayin'.
(PS I have no fish to fry in MQA. I own all the music I ever will play, have no plans to ever do HiRez, or streaming.)

Last edited by Beet Farmer; 10-23-2018 at 07:46 AM. Reason: minor correction
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet Farmer View Post
I want to comment on the 'limitations' of CD. I recently bought a $7000 SACD player, and really just for the DAC it uses, since it is doing SACD and CD in an upconverted DSD process.
As an aside I would mention I am a high frequency maven, it really matters what the treble is doing..
And this now Device really solves for me, any CD hash issues I ever heard.
So what I am stating the digititus issue so many call a basic part of CD is not really the fault of the CD, more like the problem with a lot of DACs.
Just sayin'.
(PS I have no fish to fry in MQA. I own all the music I ever will play, have no plans to ever do HiRez, or streaming.)
I have a lot of hi res music, but with well recorded rebook 44.1/16, I don't even think about hi res and its not missed by me. A well recorded red book CD imported as an .aiff file on the Bryson BDP-3 is totally satisfactory to me; in fact it sounds more natural than hi res which often plays louder but not necessarily better. The real good think about red book is all the music I like I can find on it. What good is it to have a bunch of hi res music you don't even like?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Bart,
I can’t wait for qbouz to arrive stateside. I live in rural Colorado so bandwidth remains an issue and I don’t see it getting better anytime soon.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM

My issue with Qobuz is how it integrates with my listening. I think at the moment, only Audirvana Plus supports it, and it has been a little flaky for me. And I am not sure my 6Mbps (on a good day) ADSL is going to cope with it. MQA Hires is just about doable (one stream only).

I would love for Roon to support Qobuz since that is how I listen primarily. Don't think Naim does it. Lucky MConnect on my PS Audio works with Qobuz
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM