AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Default My 4B NRB hums when turned on

It may have been there for a while but I noticed that my 4B when I first turn it on it physically hums when it's cold. Makes like a transformer sound as it warms up, goes away after 20-30 seconds.

My guess is I will be sending it in for a recap soon.

Interesting my even older 3B that I did have recapped had always made a surging noise when it was turned on. I found that by switching off the power at a power conditioner solved that issue. I always thought that the amp never discharged completely when switched off but switching it off at the outlet or unplugging it allowed it to completely discharge preventing this noise when turned on.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:31 PM

I don't think filter caps going bad would cause the noise that you describe. I've got both a 4BSST and a 6BSST in my system and they have always "protested" when being shaken out of a sound "sleep". The noise my amps make last for no more than a few seconds however. I think its just the sound these toroidal transformers make when initially energized.

Filter caps going bad would result in audible 60hz (or 50hz) noise coming from the speakers.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the explication. I think this is what mine is doing. When it is dead cold room temp 65f and is turned on it makes this noise it settles down to a constant soft hum that always had. As far as I can tell it sound great as always.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Retired

The NRB amps are old enough that they would benefit from a recap. Recapped both my 20+ yr-old 2B-LPs and a nice improvement in clarity and speed. Cheap up-grade.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 AM

I don't know if this is related to the hum impulses at the startup or the caps being old. Last night I noticed the amp does not sound good when cold. It sounded raspy no bass but once it got good and hot 20 min of playing it sounded wonderful.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM

Many power amps are like this, an initial power surge when switching on. Rapid reservoir caps charging may make the mains transformer buzz for a short period, nothing to be concerned about.
Its a good idea to recap after 20 years especially electrolytics.
Most power amps don't sound at their sonic best from cold, I usually play some music and leave the room for 15 mins.

Last edited by AudioGremlin; 04-13-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Purchased pre-owned 14SST as my first major step into hi-end audio, a few years ago. First thing I noticed was unpleasant humming noise! Called Bryston who responded it was "normal" to hear humming, up to roughy 3 feet away. Unfortunately, humming was noticeable up to 8 feet away and had to play music not to hear it. Since I also had issues turning on and off unit with front panel switch, Bryston asked me to send it back to them, it was still under warranty and based in its age and serial number needed servicing.
After several weeks, unit was sent back to me, Bryston explained they did not find any issue with front panel switch and humming noise was normal !!!! Had heard lots of good things about Bryston service but this was the most unpleasant warranty service I ever experienced. Sold my 14SST as soon as I got it back sealed from Bryston.
I'm now very pleased wth McIntosh... May not have 20 years warranty but never heard any humming from any McInstosh products I have ever owned.
Just my short experience with Bryston.
AJ

McIntosh C2300 Pre, MC452 Amp - Esoteric K-01X - JL e112 Subwoofer - Martin Logan Motion 60XT Speakers - SONOS Connect - W4S Remedy - IFI iPower9

Last edited by ajdo; 04-13-2016 at 10:23 AM.