AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 AM

Wire the speaker out of phase , face them to each other and throw a blanket over them. No problem, you will barely hear it.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Singers voices have not been an issue at all...it's been the highest notes of violins in classical pieces, or electric guitars in rock songs.

Again, I don't want to jump the gun here; it may very well be due to insufficient burn-in, that's the point of this experiment. My CT-5 improved dramatically over the course of last year, and another friend who has a Pr350 he bought new at the end of 2011 said his hit 500 hours the other day and the amp just literally opened up, all the "edginess" gone, more textural impact, and improved soundstaging. I and other friends have noted these "quantum jumps" in improvement when burning in Teflon-capped C-J components...it's not a gradual improvement over time per se....its play, play, play (for months on end) and then Bang! A big improvement.
hmmm, very interesting. I'd just assumed... obviously incorrectly.

In any case, I absolutely positively spent a large part of 2011 going through burn-in hell. Between the 3.7s, the ET5 and the JC-1s, it was an adventure nearly every day. Worst part was that I'd swear it would go backwards now and then.... wonderful sounding day(s) would/could be followed by flat, dull, lifeless days. All it took was hours, and hours...and hours, and more hours of running time.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
hmmm, very interesting. I'd just assumed... obviously incorrectly.

In any case, I absolutely positively spent a large part of 2011 going through burn-in hell. Between the 3.7s, the ET5 and the JC-1s, it was an adventure nearly every day. Worst part was that I'd swear it would go backwards now and then.... wonderful sounding day(s) would/could be followed by flat, dull, lifeless days. All it took was hours, and hours...and hours, and more hours of running time.
Ray,
Yup, that about sums it up for me with the CT-5. Interestingly, Dynaudio speakers go through periods of the sounding better, then worse, then better, worse, then, almost to the hour at 300 hours, BANG! they arrive and are spectacular. Apparently, a lot of uninformed buyers get frustrated during the "getting worse" phase and sell them or return them. Like you say: hours, and hours...and hours, and more hours of running time. I've heard Maggies can take two to three months to run in, also.

C'est la vie.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Wire the speaker out of phase , face them to each other and throw a blanket over them. No problem, you will barely hear it.
Ha! Yeah, I know about that trick. I can do that if need be. I think you wire just one speakers out of phase, though, right? So that the drivers for both channels are moving in the opposite directions at the same time and cancel each other out.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 AM

That's correct. I wish I had done that with mine.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Yeah, Dyn owners know about that trick because it takes so long to run-in Dynaudios.

But, they are worth it in the end.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Ray,
Yup, that about sums it up for me with the CT-5. Interestingly, Dynaudio speakers go through periods of the sounding better, then worse, then better, worse, then, almost to the hour at 300 hours, BANG! they arrive and are spectacular. Apparently, a lot of uninformed buyers get frustrated during the "getting worse" phase and sell them or return them. Like you say: hours, and hours...and hours, and more hours of running time. I've heard Maggies can take two to three months to run in, also.

C'est la vie.
darn, it's all coming back to me now..... there were days when the sound stage was so nice it was like you could walk into it, or look into it. somehow Holographic-like or 3Dish, then 24 hours later, it was a dead-flat wall!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 AM

[ame=http://youtu.be/CbiPDSxFgd8]The Doors - Break On Through (To the Other Side) - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 AM

Good idea Stephen. No need to suffer through the burn in if you do not have to.

Just play em 24/7 for 3 weeks and enjoy the prem 17/ lp70 in the meantime.

If you still don't dig the upper frequencies then, no big deal. Just go up the cj tube amp ladder and it only gets better
Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM

Are the problem highs with digital or vinyl or both?

I'm about to go through a run in process myself with the CT5/CA200 system. I'm shifting from B&W804s to Vivid B1s. If they don't tell all about the CJ sound then nothing will. Judging by the store demo the highs will be obvious but very well integrated. The B1 lives to tell you all about the recording, good or bad.

Its not out of the question that something else is causing your issues with the high frequencies, like the room or cables, source components or power - or maybe you just need some time to adjust to the sound. I know my 804s and the B1s will be very different. I'll have to get used to not having mid range colouration for a start.

Will be interested to hear how you get on.