AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Hey everyone,

Can anyone offer any comparisons between the Cinema 12 and the Classe SSP-800? I currently have the Marantz AV7005 and will be replacing it in the near future. In the Classe thread I was asking whether the jump in price (Classe is nearly double in cost) is justified in sonic performance. I know both have received favorable reviews and high regard but I am unsure as to how they fare head to head. Thanks in advance for any input!
Kal (Rubinson) would be one among some of the members here to answer that best.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM

-- BTW, Welcome to you both: dminches and Sonic.

Bob
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Sorry for the confusion. Here is my setup.

I have the Oppo's 7.1 analog outputs (all RCA) connected to my Cary 12 (I don't own an 11a).

I have the Oppo's stereo XLRs connected to my Cary SLP-05.

I have the Cary 12's L/R XLR preamp outputs connected to my Cary SLP-05's cinema bypass.

I have the Cary 12's other 6 channels of preamp outputs (all RCA) connected to my subwoofer and my multichannel amp.

The issue is that when I select 7.1 bypass as my input on the Cary 12, I don't get anything coming through my main L/R speakers. However, if I select a digital input (coaxial from my DVR), I get full 5.1 sound. So, the issue isn't the basic Cary 12 preamp output since I can get full 5.1 sound. The issue seems to be that if I select 7.1 bypass input it won't pass the L/R signal from the Oppo analog RCAs to the XLR preamp output.

Please let me know if this is now clear.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM

-- Yes, it is very clear now, thank you.

* To me, your 'issue' seems to come from the fact that the 5.1 analog RCA and 2-channel stereo XLR connections are two separate entities. ...And they are also going to two different components.

I am not an expert, just a technological thinker and explorer (Audio, and everything else on this planet)..

TRY THIS:

#1. From your Oppo BDP-95: Connect the full 7.1 multichannel analog (RCA) Out to your Cary Cinema 12's full 7.1 multichannel analog (RCA) In.

#2. From your Oppo BDP-95: Connect the stereo analog (XLR balanced) Out to your Cary Cinema 12's stereo analog XLR balanced In.

OR THIS:

1. As above (#1.). ...The full 7.1 analog (RCA) multichannel connection.

2. From your Oppo BDP-95: Connect the stereo XLR out to your Cary SLP-05's stereo XLR In.

3. From your Cary SLP-05: Connect the stereo XLR Out to your Cary Cinema 12's stereo XLR In.

* When you select Digital Coaxial from your DVR (or any Digital input for that matter), now you said that you get 5.1 (digital surround sound) from your DVR. OK. ...Or am I missing some' here?

** If you select 7.1 analog bypass in your Cary Cinema 12 (cinema bypass); for audio purists so that you can bypass all digital conversions for your analog sources (Oppo BDP-95's multichannel analog RCA connections), you are also bypassing the 7.1 multichannel analog input!
=> Turn the Cinema Bypass feature to OFF. ...And see if it will restore the stereo (L/R) audio signal from your Oppo BDP-95's XLR Out to your Cary SLP-05's XLR In.

I'm just trying to help you the best I can here; by recommending different connection's arrangements and settings.
Your particular situation is somehow unique (or not too common), and that's why you have to know what each component does exactly from their settings affecting the audio signals out from the various type of connections; the outputs of your Oppo player, the outputs of your Cary SLP-05 preamp, and the outputs of your Cary Cinema 12 pre/pro.
...All the Outs and Ins. ...Depending of what's connected, and what's selected.

EXPERIMENT with various connections, and settings.

OR, make things SIMPLER, and use only one preamp (Cinema 12). ...For your home theater room.

AND, have a separate Music stereo listening room for your SLP-05, with another Oppo player like the BDP-105 for example, and a high-end turntable with a Phono preamp.

I know I know; you want both in the same room. ...Then, EXPERIMENT.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks for your detailed post. Let me play with this tonight (and likely tomorrow).

I need to understand what the Cary will do if I select DSP for the 7.1 input. If it just applies the speaker distance and balance setting that is fine. I don't want it doing any other processing. Maybe someone knows what it does.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
-- BTW, Welcome to you both: dminches and Sonic.

Bob
Thank you sir
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Thanks for your detailed post. Let me play with this tonight (and likely tomorrow).

I need to understand what the Cary will do if I select DSP for the 7.1 input. If it just applies the speaker distance and balance setting that is fine. I don't want it doing any other processing. Maybe someone knows what it does.
Good. ...Now, DON'T USE or COUNT on your Cary Cinema 12's Auto EQ function! Turn it OFF! DISABLE it!

Adjust everything MANUALLY, with a tape measure, and a RS SPL meter with an Audio Test disc.
Adjust your sub with the Radio Shack SPL meter and fine-tune by ear.

*The Auto Setup/Room EQ system (proprietary) in your Cary Cinema 12 surround processor is NO GOOD (buggy and misbehaving)! ...Cary even recommends that you don't use it.

=> Last, try to contact Cary directly (phone or email) and explain them exactly your particular situation.
Perhaps they know some' that most people don't.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-17-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
Kal (Rubinson) would be one among some of the members here to answer that best.
I have never heard the Cinema 12. I reviewed the predecessor.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I have never heard the Cinema 12. I reviewed the predecessor.
Yes I know, but you did review the Cary Cinema 11. ...It's predecessor, which is very very similar.

* The main difference is that the 12 adds two HDMI inputs. ...Four now instead of just two in the 11.
Everything else is just about the same (99.99%), even its "buggy" Auto Setup system and EQ programs!

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 02-17-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Update on my setup:

I spoke to Cary tech support today. They are always helpful.

They said the balanced outputs should work with the 7.1 analog in. I checked my connections and I had the L/R from my Oppo incorrectly routed to the Cinema 12. As LOTR said, sometimes the solutions are the simplest.

I also got the test tones to work with the manual setup. What the manual doesn't say is that you first have to select an input which has nothing hooked up to it when you go into manual setup mode.

So, things are working well. The unit sounds wonderful, but that's what I expected.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.