AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
...Now being intrigued with ROON, is a Nucleus necessary as the BDP 3 is ROON ready?
The Nucleus and Roon don't do quite the same thing. That said, Roon runs fine without the Nucleus, the Nucleus just makes it run better. But you can't run Roon without some player such as the BDP.

You may also want to consider getting Tidal, which works flawlessly with Roon and the BDP, and has a huge database of music. My music collection is barely a hundred CDs, but with Tidal I have tens if not hundreds of thousands of albums, for twenty bucks a month.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
The Nucleus and Roon don't do quite the same thing. That said, Roon runs fine without the Nucleus, the Nucleus just makes it run better. But you can't run Roon without some player such as the BDP.

You may also want to consider getting Tidal, which works flawlessly with Roon and the BDP, and has a huge database of music. My music collection is barely a hundred CDs, but with Tidal I have tens if not hundreds of thousands of albums, for twenty bucks a month.
And as they say, "the plot thickens!"

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Moving data to BDP3

Quote:

Now being intrigued with ROON, is a Nucleus necessary as the BDP 3 is ROON ready?

Roon-ready only means that the device can work with Roon. However in order to use Roon with the BDP3 you must first have the Roon Core software installed in a computer.
Nucleus+ is a computer that runs Roon Core. You could chose to run Roon Core in other computers like a PC or Mac.
So you need Roon Core running in a computer and you also need Roon-Ready devices.

Last edited by nicoff; 09-19-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Moving data to BDP3

Quote:

Just to clarify, Nucleus is a computer, that is, hardware.

Roon itself is software. You can install and run Roon Core in a Nucleus machine. However, Nucleus per se does not make Roon Core run any better than other computers like PC, Mac, or Linux machines.

To use Roon, you have to run Roon Core in a computer AND you also need a Roon-Ready device that communicates with the Roon Core software.

Roon-Ready devices comunicate with Roon Core via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

Last edited by nicoff; 09-19-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Just to clarify, Nucleus is a computer, that is, hardware.

Roon itself is software. You can install and run Roon Core in a Nucleus machine. However, Nucleus per se does not make Roon Core run any better than other computers like PC, Mac, or Linux machines.

To use Roon, you have to run Roon Core in a computer AND you also need a Roon-Ready device that communicates with the Roon Core software.

Roon-Ready devices comunicate with Roon Core via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
Thanks Nicoff. Better stated than I did.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:59 AM

So...

I need to have a computer running ROON to do its stuff. The BDP3 in turn takes this stuff and shoots it to an iPad. Net result is a whole lot of enhanced liner note stuff. With Tidal for $20 a month, there are 1000's of albums available playing at CD quality.

Is this the basic idea?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
So...

I need to have a computer running ROON to do its stuff. The BDP3 in turn takes this stuff and shoots it to an iPad. Net result is a whole lot of enhanced liner note stuff. With Tidal for $20 a month, there are 1000's of albums available playing at CD quality.

Is this the basic idea?
Mostly...the BDP and the iPad are both connected to the same network, as is Roon. The BDP "shoots" the "stuff" to your DAC/sound system. You control everything wirelessly from your iPad or other device. I use my MacBook Pro. Works great!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Mostly...the BDP and the iPad are both connected to the same network, as is Roon. The BDP "shoots" the "stuff" to your DAC/sound system. You control everything wirelessly from your iPad or other device. I use my MacBook Pro. Works great!
Dave-

Then, I can have ROON on a MacBook pro and control the BDP from the same laptop? Or does ROON need to be on a separate computer?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Dave-

Then, I can have ROON on a MacBook pro and control the BDP from the same laptop? Or does ROON need to be on a separate computer?
Well, I have Roon on an iMac and control it from my MacBook. I can also control it from my iPad or iPhone.

But I think you want the main software to be hardwired to your network.

I'm pretty new at this, and I know only what's working for me. I'm just not sure if you can get Roon to work only on a laptop. Perhaps Nicoff can chime in with better info for you. Or, go to their website. there's an active forum there, and lots of FAQs.

As for me, my Nucleus+ arrives tomorrow. I think the more dedicated a computer you have to host the main software the better. But I've been quite happy with the iMac/ MacBook combo until now.

I think you can get a free trial of roon and Tidal for 2 weeks or a month. I recommend you check that out.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Dave-

YES you can have ROON Core running on a MacBook Pro and control the BDP from the same laptop.

You can also install the Roon Remote App in portable devices (mobile phone, tablet) or another computer and control the BDP from there as well.

I have six (6) Roon-Ready devices in my system. I can control all of them from the computer running Roon Core. But I also installed the Roon Remote App in my iPhone, my iPad, an Android Pad, and an iMac desktop. That way I can also control all six (6) Roon-Ready devices with my portable devices and my iMac desktop computer.

I can play different music to each of my 6 Roon-Ready devices simultaneously. I can also play the same music to all Roon-Ready devices at the same time (this is handy if one wants to have the same music playing around the house).

In my experience, I saw no difference in SQ when using Roon via Wi-Fi or via ethernet cable as long as your Wi-Fi signal is strong. However if the Wi-Fi signal is weak, you may experience drop outs and require an ethernet cable for best results.

I subscribe to Tidal and highly recommend it for use with Roon. With Tidal you have immediate access to over 30 million tracks. To me, Tidal and Roon make an ideal match.

Last edited by nicoff; 09-20-2018 at 11:17 AM.