Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 07-02-2017, 03:24 PM

Thanks, Glenn!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
CEL = Check engine light

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter

So lots of sensor and code errors came up.

The codes indicated a problem in the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) but none of the three dealers seemed to know anything about the issue nor did they solve the problems. Tired of constant issues, I decided to remove the offending system.

Did it void my warranty? No, not on the entire truck. If the modifications I performed did not cause a failure of an original equipment part, then I still have warranty. If the modification caused a failure of an original equipment part then that part is no longer warranted.

Let's say my radio/head unit failed after I did an exhaust modification. There is no way the dealer can void my warranty on the head unit as there is no way the modification would have affected that piece of the truck.

Conversely, if I did an exhaust modification and ended up cooking a hole through my fuel tank because the muffler was too big, then I cannot expect the dealer to warranty repairs to the fuel tank. That would all be on me.

But since I removed this system, which weighs about 250 pounds in total, I expect fewer issues from that system :|, fewer CELs, better performance and better fuel mileage.

Of course, the tuning package I purchased may have something to do with the better performance as well.

Makes sense. I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-diesel. Been in 3 times with issues related to the Diesel exhaust system. A pain in the ass to be sure. I was afraid to have it removed (DEF) as I was concerned it would void the powertrain warranty.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Here's a current pic of the truck:

I've added the vent visors on all 4 doors, put the truck box in, added a front light bar and rear light pods, updated to a current version of the tuning, added a nice Corsa muffler (the straight pipe arrangement was just too dang noisy) and installed some step bars.

The truck runs great, no check engine lights have illuminated, the tune update results were impressive and I am very happy with how this truck runs and drives.

I did some tire testing after the tune update.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:07 PM

It’s a great-looking truck Michael.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Thanks, Tony!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:53 PM

Is that EGT I see? If that motor still has the variable geometry turbo of the 2011 keep an eye on that. The offset exhaust manifold doesn't let air flow from the back cylinder and can cause some serious damage if run too hot.

My brother built a test manifold and was seeing 1400 to 1500 on some while IIRC #4 was 2300 degrees. Guess which cylinder had glassing and now has a big divit in it where the rings stuck.

Anyway nice truck! Love the diesels! I get made fun of because I went with the V8 CTD.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:45 AM

Yes, that is EGT. That parameter was one of the first on my list to add to the monitoring suite.

I sprung for the additional cost of the pyrometer supply and install so I could keep an eye on turbo temps, especially when pulling a heavy load. Worst I've seen was just a bit over 1100 deg F. pulling about 10K up and over a 6% grade in high 80 deg - low 90 deg ambient temps.

I've since removed the stock air horn intake and added a Banks unit to improve flow. We'll see this summer how the those temps are doing under the same conditions.