AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Go Dawgs

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-05-2016, 04:23 PM

When I turn the power on or off there is a loud thump through my speakers. Do I need to ground the table?
McIntosh C2300 Preamp ** McIntosh MC402 Power amp ** VPI Prime / JMW 10.5 tonearm / Lyra Kleos cartridge ** McIntosh MCD-500 ** Bowers & Wilkins 804D3 loudspeakers ** Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC's ** Wireworld Eclipse 7 speaker cables ** Richard Gray 600 Pro PC **
Old 03-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT350Z View Post
When I turn the power on or off there is a loud thump through my speakers. Do I need to ground the table?
How loud is the thump? If you do a search you'll see that many VPI tables do this (mine didn't), but I don't think it's supposed to be that loud. That being said, ever since I've had a table I always make sure the volume is down whenever I do anything other than playing the record just to make sure I don't hit anything or cause anything to create loud feedback. As far as grounding, if you don't have any noise or any hum and your playback is silent, you don't have to ground.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Grounding will not affect the noise you are hearing from the power switch. There is a mod which is sometimes suggested by VPI to add or change a capacitor in the power switch circuit which can reduce or eliminate the transient you are hearing. It is discussed in their forum here. You can contact VPI directly through email or by phone for further assistance in resolving this issue.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:15 PM

I'll just use the mute button.

I think I have everything as dialed in as I can. Damn this table sounds good...
McIntosh C2300 Preamp ** McIntosh MC402 Power amp ** VPI Prime / JMW 10.5 tonearm / Lyra Kleos cartridge ** McIntosh MCD-500 ** Bowers & Wilkins 804D3 loudspeakers ** Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC's ** Wireworld Eclipse 7 speaker cables ** Richard Gray 600 Pro PC **
Old 03-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
I'll just use the mute button.

I think I have everything as dialed in as I can. Damn this table sounds good...
It really does......one suggestion you may be interested if not now but in the future are the feet. Many people aren't big fans of the Classic feet and find a pretty big bonus in upgrading so something a little more stable and solid. I went with the Terrastone footers made specifically for VPI tables by Dan over at Eden Sound. The footers are hight quality, look great and provide a more solid foundation. Take a look at them when you get a chance.....good product.

edenSound

- Buck
Old 03-05-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I went with the Terrastone footers made specifically for VPI tables by Dan over at Eden Sound.
edenSound

- Buck
Did you go with the Pure Cylinders?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Did you go with the Pure Cylinders?
No.....went with the VPI specific terra stone cones.....they're the ones with the adjustable brass feet and have the threaded screw that fits into the VPI Classic base.

- Buck
Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Grounding will not affect the noise you are hearing from the power switch. There is a mod which is sometimes suggested by VPI to add or change a capacitor in the power switch circuit which can reduce or eliminate the transient you are hearing. It is discussed in their forum here. You can contact VPI directly through email or by phone for further assistance in resolving this issue.
I did not have a pop with my VPI Classic 3 until I changed phono stages. When I switched to the new direct coupled phono stage (Parasound JC3+), when I turn off the switch on the turntable without muting the preamp, I would have a pop which I am told is common.

I don't really see this as an issue as you should get into the habit of muting your preamp anyway. Now that I have an Eagle PSU I switch the turntable on and off from the PSU and even without muting there is no more pop.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM

Welcome to AA Greg!