AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 PM

Default Nordost Sort Cones?

Anyone here tried any of the four varieties?
I was considering giving the Aluminum and Ceramic model a try, but would like some feedback before I pull the trigger.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 AM

Never tried the kones but had very good luck with their sort fut on the bottom of a rack.

Any self respecting nordost dealer should happily demo these or lend them to you!

Let us know how you go if you do get to try or take the plunge
Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Anyone here tried any of the four varieties?
I was considering giving the Aluminum and Ceramic model a try, but would like some feedback before I pull the trigger.
I use the Aluminium version under my Logitech Transporter. A small, but noticeable improvement in the lower bass registers - no change to the rest of the audio spectrum (which is a good thing!).
Old 11-02-2016, 04:10 PM

In my last trip in France 5 months ago i participate in a demo with the people of AudioSynthese, official dealer of Nordost in Paris.
I was never "listen" this kones before but i was very curious.My girlfriend, ZERO INTEREST IN AUDIOPHILE THINGS, be with me in the room.
First of all we listen an dcs cd player (don't remember the model but the price rounds 26k) without the kones.The rest of the system was an Air Tight amplifier and Kef Blade speakers.
The cd used in the demo was mine and i listen the first track almost 1000 times in a lot of systems around the world (B&W Very Audiophile New Recordings - Track n°1: Colour to the moon - Allan Taylor).
Without the cones the sound was very good but nothing more.Time to add 3 Sort Kones BC, one under the transport and 2 in the back of the cd player.Play again the first track and....OMG!
My girlfriend, as i say ZERO AUDIOPHILE, looks me and say "do you hear that?".The difference was so obvious that even her without any effort notes that.
The sort kones "clean" the whole stereo image and positioning the singer to 6/7 feet in front of me.Without the kones the singer was to 10/12 feet long of mi position.
You can imagine my face.In that moment we want to change the BC kones (brass/ceramic) for the top of the line TC kones (titanium/ceramic).
Before the change i listen this track 3 more times for remember to perfection the details.Change the kones to the TC and put in the same places that the BC of course.
Play again the same track and....OOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! !
The TC kones bests in all aspects to BC!Even better focus, better stereo image, better and thighter bass, more crispy highs.
Summarizing, i leave the store with 9 BC and 6 TC sort kones (and my wallet empty)
I never believe in tweaks before that demo, but in this case the upgrade using this littles marvels was so obvious that i change my way to think in this things.
Cheers

Last edited by PASSFREAK; 11-09-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-02-2016, 04:27 PM

PASSFREAK.....Now that you have them, how have they been performing on YOUR system?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Cohibaman i got the same results in my own system.In Paris i only can test the sound upgrade but in my home i put 3 kones in my Oppo BDP-105D and get an improvement in the picture quality too!!!!
The rest of the kones are in the Pass X 600 monoblock's, the Esoteric G-02 master clock generator and the D-05 dac.
Is something that you need to hear and see by yourserlf to believe it.
HRS DPX damping plates works VERY nice too, i use a combination of both in each electronic (kones below and damping plates in the top cover) and even a very high volume level you put the hand in the top plate of the gear and don't feel ANY vibration, ANY!!!!
In the only piece of gear that i don't use anything is in the Pass XP-20 preamp because i don´t have more space high in my rack.The only tweak that i will can use is the original version of the HRS damping plates and i think to put some in the next few months.
Is not cheap at all but in my opinion is money very well expended

Last edited by PASSFREAK; 11-03-2016 at 06:52 AM. Reason: .