AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi Philippe,
Dynaudio are reknown for being amongst the fastest dynamic driver speakers, and in my own experience, are completely competitive with the best panel speakers for speed. They are so fast, in fact, that like with panel speakers, integrating a sub that can match them for speed can be a bit of an issue, much as it can be with panel speakers. The only makes I know that are fast enough to keep up with Dyn drivers are Dyn's own subs, REL, and JL.

So, actually I wasn't too surprised that my friend did not feel the slowness / lack of speed with regard to his ESL 63s, 'cause I already has a pretty good idea how fast Dyns are. He also liked them for their neutrality as well as complete lack of listener fatigue.
It's also why Dynaudio is a good match for Naim Audio's PRaT characteristics.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Stephen, awesome thread. True testament when a quad diehard raves about another speaker. Thats like getting a Greenbay Packer's fan to compliment another team! It is always awesome to have a friend with similar listening preferences on what their ears value. Sounds like your system has reached the summit! Btw what are the two tables you have? Darrin
Thanks, Darrin.

I currently have three TTs: a Clearaudio Concept with a mono Grado Ref Sonata1 that I use as exclusively as a mono deck for the many jazz and classical mono LPs I have, a Michell Gyro SE MkII with SME V arm and Koetsu Urushi Vermilion cartridge (basically the same deck Jdandy has), and a Rega P5 with a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II cartridge. Both the Koetsu and Pearwood are amazing. What's more amazing is the P5/Pearwood cost me a total of about $2500 and it competes very favorably with the much more expensive Michell.

I've just purchased Serge's EAR324P phono stage that has two inputs, so I will use that for two of the tables, and my EAR 834P for the third table. I also run a Bob's Devices step up transformer for both MC carts on the Michell and Rega.

Now that I have a phono stage that will accomodate two TTs, the last area for improvement may be a really top-flight DAC; I'm very interested in the new Wadia 121 as I really like Wadia DACs; they're exceptional. Or I might not; the Schiit Bifrost is getting to be REALLY good, better and better all the time. And for $449, it's ridiculous.

To get the digital front end source comparable to the level of quality of the rest of the system, though, I might look seriously at the Wadia.

The other areas I need to address are ancillaries: I now need a 6 outlet Shunyata Hydra and a few more Venom3 power cords, but after that, that would be it as far as my system is concerned. Maybe one day I will splurge for a Finite Elemente rack.

On the whole, though, I'm very, very happy with the system and quite honestly don't feel the need to upgrade anything. I could spend more money on C-J LP275 monos, or an ET-5 preamp, or this or that, but even if I decide to sell the CT-5 and keep the Premier 17 preamp, I really don't think these "upgrades" would mean that the experience of enjoying the music I have would be any more rewarding or fulfilling than I am finding it now. It would be more money spent, but I'm not sure it would result in greater musical fulfillment

The focus after that will be solely on music; i want to get all the new Verve jazz remasters/reissues that Analogue Productions will be putting out as LPs from Quality Record Pressings, and of course, more stuff from my favorite remaster/reissue company, Speakers Corner
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Stephen....what were the other speakers in competition against your Dynaudio?

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Exactly, Dean!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper

PRaT?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
PRaT?
Pace Rythm and Timing, I guess

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Stephen....what were the other speakers in competition against your Dynaudio?
Philippe,
Actually, in terms of my purchasing history, none. My fist pair of speakers when I got back into audio after an absence of 20 years was a pair of Audience 72s, which I really like. I had been reading about Dyns from the various owners at AVS, and decided that the Contour S3.4s would likely be my ideal speakers. Then I got an opportunity to get a pair of Contour S3.4s, and that's what I've had ever since.

If you mean what other speakers I would consider owning other than Dynaudios, I also really like Avalon, Harbeth, Quads, Evolution Acoutics, GamuT, TAD, of course. I also love the Sonus Faber Cremona M, but they are fairly on the warm side, and with my C-J tube gear, would likely be too much of a good thing. I could see pairing them with a really neutral set of electronics, though, like ARC or Octave. Octave and Cremona Ms might be a recipe for a match made in heaven. I also really like Zu's speakers...they are a complete departure from how most folks do speakers, but I've heard what those dirt and mountain-bikin' guys from Ogden, Utah can do, and I really like it (I also love their interconnects). A pair of Zu Soul Superflys and a sweet SET amp could be pretty dang interesting.

I haven't heard them yet, but based on what I've read and from folks whom I trust here, I would also probably really like the PMCs. With all due respect to my much-valued and dear friends here who are Wilson owners, I'm really not a Wilson kind of guy. Or Magico or YG for that matter. Much more in the British/Danish camp than the American camp of loudspeaker design (with the exception of Zu and Avalon).

Last edited by admin; 03-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Exactamente, mon amí!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale

So.... Even I don't, my equipment might!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
So.... Even I don't, my equipment might!
Rega TT's are also reknown for PRaT, so with Dyns, Naim, and Rega, Dean's got PRaT goin' on in spades! Plus, he listens mostly to LPs, that bring a level of PRaT all on their own!