AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Thank you all for the kind words. Definitive came out yesterday and dialed everything in. They brought with them a Linn DAC worth 27k (I didn't know they were that pricey...i've underestimated them in many ways I suppose) and they brought a bunch of power cords and interconnects and speaker cables.

The proceeded to set my system up with their dac and wires. I guess I understand why on some level...they want to make sure they are familiar with as much of the gear as they can in order to know what it "should" sound like as they go through their Wilson Way listening session. But the extra gear did throw me a bit...more on that later.

So pretty much the only "unknown" to them was the Esoteric power amp.

They played the same song over and over and over for hours...it's a song that David Wilson recorded, and there are detailed notes that David has given them to listen for certain things in the soundstage. It's pretty cool. The track is called "new pants" and I can't remember the artist, but you can't find it anywhere anyway. It did sound FANTASTIC.

Then there were a few other songs they played which sounded pretty darn good, but I wasn't familiar with them. In fact there were very few vocals in those tracks, which I thought was mandatory for setting up a system.

So after tweaking things within fractions of an inch for a few hours, they declared victory and removed all their gear and hooked mine back up.

it didn't sound quite as good. Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with the placement, which in fact was extremely close to how I had it before they arrived. I can only surmise that either the Linn dac was OFF THE CHARTS good...crushing my K-01x...or I really do need better cables. I suppose the source files might have something to do with this, too...most of what I listened to after they left was garden variety recordings that I like. Nothing hi rez or "audiophile recording".

I asked them about it, and they claim the Linn DAC is one of the best DAC's in the world, with only DCS's top of the line edging it out. I dunno...

I do think I need new interconnects, I have Transparent "super" which are basically entry level. But I tried some ultra gen 5 in my system before and it didn't make much difference at all, so I bailed on it. These were TA reference gen 5. Perhaps those make far more of a difference than I ever knew they could. They also brought reference gen 5 speaker cables...i'm using reference gen4 (mm2).

Anyway, as perplexed as I am, don't get me wrong. These Alexia's do sound amazing and have taken my system to a level I never dreamed of. I find it to be among the best I've ever heard...of course I am biased but I really am super happy with the results. I went into this year thinking I am "done" but ended up with a K-01x and Alexia's!!!

But of course, I'm always gonna wonder what my system will sound like with new wires or that Linn DAC. Dealer will lend me anything of course...but I am afraid to take them up on it.

I'll post some pics after i get the room cleaned up a bit. I'm still trying to find a good hosting site after the whole photobucket "scandal". Mine still work but probably not for long.

Congrats- you should get many hours of enjoyment from your system. Gary truly loves what he does and I have found him to be really good and getting the best from my system. I need to get him on retainer....and he is a great guy as well
Old 07-06-2017, 12:13 AM

Yes, I agree, Gary is a great guy.

Here are the pics with everything set up. I thought I'd step farther back so you can see the room more.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 07-06-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:21 AM

Great system!

Fwiw, I tried the previous Linn klimax dac with Sasha 2 at home and I couldn't hear that much of a difference, at least not a 15k price difference from my current dac.

Although I am told that the latest klimax is a big step up. I really do like the Linn products if only their apps were as good as roon or was roon ready...

Enjoy!!
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 07-06-2017, 01:36 AM

Very nice set up and room!
Old 07-06-2017, 04:40 AM

Marc,...beautiful room and system! Congratulations!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:17 AM

Very nice Marc!

Very interesting to read about your experience with the Linn DAC. I suppose it could be just plain fantastic.

Are you listening to the same software/music on your system compared to through the Linn DAC when they were setting things up?

I would probably take them up on their offer and demo it at home. You know you want to.

Last edited by joey_v; 07-06-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Marc,
Wow. You have a beautiful room and an amazing setup. Your attention to detail is noteworthy. Congratulations on a world class audio system.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Marc's system

My 2 cents is what you heard is mostly cable related. I have owned Wave Plus, Super, Ultra, and Ref XL XLR interconnects and speaker cables, all MM2

Comparing Super MM2 interconnects + Reference MM2 SC versus Gen 5 Reference IC + SC is not a fair fight!!

When you are ready to absorb the upgrade, home demo the Ref Gen 5 combo. My hunch is they won't be going back.

I'm sure the Linn DAC is stellar but come on. It ain't gonna bury a K01X. The files probably make more of a difference than the DACs

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 07-06-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
My 2 cents is what you heard is mostly cable related. I have owned Wave Plus, Super, Ultra, and Ref XL XLR interconnects and speaker cables, all MM2

Comparing Super MM2 interconnects + Reference MM2 SC versus Gen 5 Reference IC + SC is not a fair fight!!

When you are ready to absorb the upgrade, home demo the Ref Gen 5 combo. My hunch is they won't be going back.

I'm sure the Linn DAC is stellar but come on. It ain't gonna bury a K01X. The files probably make more of a difference than the DACs
My take exactly -- IIWM, I'd ask for a loaner pair of speaker and interconnects for a few days. I'd hold off though from jumping up the cable ladder until after RMAF. Mr BP, whose previous employer was Transparent, knows a thing of two regarding that line and now, employed by Wilson Audio can come up with a definite 4 when adding 2 + 2. (he was always great at math). If you catch him for 5 minutes at RMAF, speak quickly, ask as many questions as possible & afterwards let him do his thing -- he's working.

Regarding the Linn DAC -- assuming they used the latest 4th Generation Katakyst DAC in their Klimax DSM, it's possible it's better than the K01X; but, I'd stop there.

In all likelihood it was Dave's sourced material that is his compilation of music -- one that is extremely well and I say well mastered that made you perk up when Definitive was in their final placement mode.

I once attended a musicmatters event in town a number of years back with Dave Wilson attending along with Dave Gordon of ARC -- they were demo'ing the Wilson Audio XLF. Dave had a very small, yet highly sophisticated drive from which he selected music. Nothing the 4 of my group ever heard before --it was amazing and mind blowing what we heard from those speakers. Everyone from what I observed had the same impression. I'll leave it at that --but, you get my gist -- personal selection & no holds bared mastering beyond the scale can have a dramatic effect & make one take notice.

Best sir,

Bob

P.S. Just a beautiful room -- so pristine and lovely. Hats off to the misses too. Great taste.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 07-06-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Very nice Marc!

Very interesting to read about your experience with the Linn DAC. I suppose it could be just plain fantastic.

Are you listening to the same software/music on your system compared to through the Linn DAC when they were setting things up?

I would probably take them up on their offer and demo it at home. You know you want to.
No, definitely not the same software or music. Dealer brought his own laptop, and it has Linn software to communicate with the DAC. I don't know if I want the Linn DAC, I'd rather try new wires or a music server to see if that can wring more out of my K-01x.

But not in a hurry. I need to slow my roll.