AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Default Reasonable Cost for Acoustic Treatments

Is there a rule of thumb? $ per sq ft, $ per cu ft. I got an estimate today for my listening room and it seemed pretty high to me. Room is approximately 150 sq ft with a volume of 1200 cu ft.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Life is beautiful

It might be cheaper than you think.
Ask for professional advice.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38497
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-09-2017, 06:19 AM

I've done mine with GIK products for less than $2k. Nothing compared to even what a cable costs these days.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 AM

Don't think twice on investing as it will be the major sonic impact ever which you will never regret.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:55 PM

You can go very far with natural furnishings. I, for example, are using a series of small wine racks, and side tables behind my listening seat to create diffusion, one does not always have to resort to expensive acoustic devices.

Your room might be acoustically friendly already, which mean you might require only a few acoustic devices.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM

All I know is in my case I went through gear and speakers thinking the sound I wasn't getting was due to the gear. Turns out it was mostly acoustic problems with the room.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:02 PM

I appreciate everyone's comments. The reason I'm asking is the cost estimate I received is north of $10k for a 12 x 12 room. The products would be coming from ASC. The other thing giving me some angst is the proposal is being done without anyone ever setting foot in the room.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I would spend $400 on an XTZ Pro Analyzer and get some measurements before I spent $10,000. A square room will have bass standing wave issues, so it might take a lot of treatment. But treatments come in various techniques (and costs) and I would research a bit before buying.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments. The reason I'm asking is the cost estimate I received is north of $10k for a 12 x 12 room. The products would be coming from ASC. The other thing giving me some angst is the proposal is being done without anyone ever setting foot in the room.
$10K for a 12x12 room If you seen this thread in the GIK Forum?

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18804

The advise I was given is start out small (read simple) and expand a little at a time until your happy. What I ended up with are corner bass traps floor to ceiling in the corners behind the speakers and one trap directly behind my listening position. I've been thinking about playing around with diffusion but things sound good enough as to push it down my list of things to do (audio and otherwise).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
I've equipped several rooms over the years with ASC products (I have no affiliation with them). In every case, the addition of their products made dramatic improvements to the sound. The effect is additive. Start with the room corners. A stack of round traps in each corner will take your sound to a new level. Then add first reflection points. Then front wall absorption etc etc until you have a full room. It doesn't have to be everything at once. They are indeed not cheap but depending on the cost of your stereo equipment, they offer value for the price. I also used some GIK diffusers in my current room to help with the soundstage. Also very effective. The pictures give you an idea of what is possible. I've made some improvements since then but you get the idea.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0434.JPG (90.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.JPG (73.3 KB, 180 views)
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management