AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 04-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Lyngdorf RP-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
EVOLVIST.......No, you would not be using the MEN220 as a preamp. What I described above put the MEN220 between you preamp/DAC (Chord DAVE) and your amplifier. The Chord DAVE would continue to be your preamp. The Room Perfect processing would happen beteen the preamp and the amplifier.
Dan, I got it. Thank you for your time and patience. Wouldn't the Lyngdorf RP-1 do the same thing in the chain that you've just described?

I've read as much as I could find online about the RP-1, and most peoe say that they cannot detect any overt coloration at all. The RP-1 actually has a little bit better specs than the MEN220, as far as THD, etc., but I don't know if that translates into anything audible.

Well, I'm still trying to see if the RP-1 can be run before my DAC, so I'm checking out some pro-audio solution. I don't know why I do this to myself, but it's kind of fun (mostly).
Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Evolvist - What are you trying to accomplish with the MEN220?
Racing hoopties! Haha. That's awesome!

With the MEN220? Well, nothing if it doesn't suit my needs. When I first came in here I was looking for room correction, thinking the MEN220 was the only game in town. It didn't take long to find out that it wasn't.

Then I find out that any of these room correction solutions, save for software-based solutions, are going to reconstruct the signal that I paid so much to get, and that I enjoy from my DAC.

So, then I'm thinking, well, it doesn't do much harm if I find a quality solution that happens before my DAC; this is 2017, and although I still don't have the jetpack they promised me when I was a kid, perhaps the technology is there to get the solution to work before my DAC.

I have a Lyngdorf RP-1 on the way to me. Now here we are. I feel Lome I've taken this thread way OT, and for that I apologize. I would have taken it elsewhere in the forum, but since I can't create a topic, again, now here we are. Yay!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 AM

Hmmmm... Yes! Moreover, I learned that all of these products - save the high-end Accuphase - is limited to 24/192kHz. So, anything higher that I would send from my a stand alone DAC has it's signal truncated during room correction.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Racing Hoopties

At this point, my suggestion is to forget about the math and just listen when you get your Lyngdorf. Make your mind up then. Stop tormenting yourself about digits.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Dan, I got it. Thank you for your time and patience. Wouldn't the Lyngdorf RP-1 do the same thing in the chain that you've just described?

I've read as much as I could find online about the RP-1, and most peoe say that they cannot detect any overt coloration at all. The RP-1 actually has a little bit better specs than the MEN220, as far as THD, etc., but I don't know if that translates into anything audible.

Well, I'm still trying to see if the RP-1 can be run before my DAC, so I'm checking out some pro-audio solution. I don't know why I do this to myself, but it's kind of fun (mostly).
I use a Lyngdorf TDAI2200 as a preamp and Room Correction. The volume of digital signal is changed by toroidal power supply as a pure digital signal. I then feed digital out to my DAC. DAC volume is fixed. XLR attach to the McIntosh mono blocks.
I spent time emailing Lyngdorf support. The same trick is available to sub crossover. The RP-1 and MEN are similar. The DP-1 and TDAI2200 or TDAI2170 all work same way. The TDAI2170 offers Intercomponent Clipping Control (ICC) to correct clipped recordings and ability to have two different Speaker system room calibration. The TDAI are the way to go. i use Lyngdorf class D digital amp outputs to drive pool speakers in another area. Amps are very very good but run out of grunt compared to Quad Balances Mcintosh amps.

I would trade RP-1 for a TDAI or DP-1. The dynamic range and clarity not converting signal until it is fed to amps is amazing and you can use the Lyngdorf DAC or your own boutique DAC. I prefer my differential DAC over The excellent Lyngdorf DAC. The aftermarket DAC is oh so beautiful in sound.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
I use a Lyngdorf TDAI2200 as a preamp and Room Correction. The volume of digital signal is changed by toroidal power supply as a pure digital signal. I then feed digital out to my DAC. DAC volume is fixed. XLR attach to the McIntosh mono blocks.
I spent time emailing Lyngdorf support. The same trick is available to sub crossover. The RP-1 and MEN are similar. The DP-1 and TDAI2200 or TDAI2170 all work same way. The TDAI2170 offers Intercomponent Clipping Control (ICC) to correct clipped recordings and ability to have two different Speaker system room calibration. The TDAI are the way to go. i use Lyngdorf class D digital amp outputs to drive pool speakers in another area. Amps are very very good but run out of grunt compared to Quad Balances Mcintosh amps.

I would trade RP-1 for a TDAI or DP-1. The dynamic range and clarity not converting signal until it is fed to amps is amazing and you can use the Lyngdorf DAC or your own boutique DAC. I prefer my differential DAC over The excellent Lyngdorf DAC. The aftermarket DAC is oh so beautiful in sound.
Hmmm... Thank you for posting. Can you write out your signal chain and what connections you are using for the TDAI 2200? According the manual is can only do 24/96. Is this correct in your chain?

Best,
Nick
Old 04-20-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Hmmm... Thank you for posting. Can you write out your signal chain and what connections you are using for the TDAI 2200? According the manual is can only do 24/96. Is this correct in your chain?

Best,
Nick
I use analog, HT Pass through digital inputs and Fiber Optic digital out to the DAC. The TDAI2200 takes a 24/192 signal but room correction sends out a 24/96 signal.

I assume MEN220 must work at 24/96 too.

The newer TDAI2170 accept HDMI and USB and Bit rate to 384. It would be interesting to know if digital out is at 384 bit rate or 96.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Sorry for keep on hijacking the men220 thread but as an electrical engineer, I understood nothing from vmax's explanation. Torodidal power supply has nothing to do with volume control and volume control done in digital domain isn't desired as it will reduce bits to reduce volume.

It loos like the lyngdorf tdai2200 has digital inputs and a single digital coax output. This could be potentially used as a digital loop through. It is unclear the unit outputs processed signal rather than a pass through.

Men220 could be modded for digital in and out. It would be an interesting project.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Sorry for keep on hijacking the men220 thread but as an electrical engineer, I understood nothing from vmax's explanation. Torodidal power supply has nothing to do with volume control and volume control done in digital domain isn't desired as it will reduce bits to reduce volume.

It loos like the lyngdorf tdai2200 has digital inputs and a single digital coax output. This could be potentially used as a digital loop through. It is unclear the unit outputs processed signal rather than a pass through.

Men220 could be modded for digital in and out. It would be an interesting project.
Yes the inputs can be processed digitally and have room correction. They are output to Tos link digital out and analog RCA with volume changes or unregulated. User choice. The TDAI also has amplified outs to drive speakers or sub woofers. The outputs can be set individually as full range or for speaker, sub as active crossover.

Here is explanation of how TDAi or DPA-1 work.
The power supply is designed with Holmgren toroidal transformers. The same transformers are used in all three components. As an interesting feature, instead of using a normal attenuator to control volume, Lyngdorf Audio’s True Digital Amplifiers can be thought of as D to A converters powerful enough to drive speakers. Unlike conventional Class D amps which use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), True Digital amps convert the PCM signal directly to the PWM signal producing a number of significant advantages. One such advantage is that the power supply actually works as the volume control over almost its entire range (and certainly the range where it matters). Conventional Class D amps sacrifice bits to lower the volume, throwing out the detail and dynamic
Old 04-21-2017, 07:02 AM

The latest MEN220 from about 2 years ago works 24/192 all ways, as I checked with McIntosh directly.