AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM

For break in I found 100 hours to get sounding good, but after that they do continue to improve with time.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
I've tried a variety of amps with these speakers & all seem to sound from good to very excellent with these speakers.

The S3s seems easy to drive.

Does anyone know what is the magic number of hours for these speakers to run in ?
Soundslikemusic... I have heard the magical number is anywhere from around 100 hours to as much as 400 hours. Typically I hear most people comment about them around the 100 hour mark though. So just give them a little time to stretch out their legs

-Debby
Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
Soundslikemusic... I have heard the magical number is anywhere from around 100 hours to as much as 400 hours. Typically I hear most people comment about them around the 100 hour mark though. So just give them a little time to stretch out their legs

-Debby
Hi Debby,

Will do !! thank you!

SLM
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!! I know how excited you must be as a few weeks ago my "new" W/P 8's were delivered replacing my Sophia 1's.

What are your room dimensions and how far away is your seat?
Basis 2500/Vector 3/Air Tight PC-1,Koetsu Urushi Black,Rosewood/Walker Ultimate Precision,Gamut CD-3 Joule LAP-150 Mkll,Joule VZN-160 Musicwoods MkV, Purist Proteus Provectus I/C 1.5m, Proteus Provectus S/C 8',Wilson WATT/Puppy 8/ Solid Tech Rack Of Silence 4 & 1's/ GIK 242 (4), 244 (2), ASC Tube Traps X 48",(2)16"ST,(2)11",(2)9",(2) 1/2 11" & 9",Real Traps (4) Mondo Traps/ Phonic PAA2 RTA.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Its been a week i had my S3s. I probably have around 80 hours of music time with them.
Definitely getting better and better.
I'm rediscovering my CD collection which i havent listen in months as I've been listening to analog for the last year.
I also notice that it sounds better w/ the grills off ? are you guys sharing the same experience ?
These speakers are forgiving and they can be revealing-- the better or higher end source you feed them, the better it sounds.
The positioning of the speakers are super super sensitive!! wow!! do you guys toe them in or toe out a little ?
I listen roughly 10 feet away from them. I dont like being too near as it can overwhelm my ears.

I'm liking them a lot though!!!!!!!!

Last edited by soundslikemusic; 10-01-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Its been a week i had my S3s. I probably have around 80 hours of music time with them.
Definitely getting better and better.
I'm rediscovering my CD collection which i havent listen in months as I've been listening to analog for the last year.
I also notice that it sounds better w/ the grills off ? are you guys sharing the same experience ?
These speakers are forgiving and they can be revealing-- the better or higher end source you feed them, the better it sounds.
The positioning of the speakers are super super sensitive!! wow!! do you guys toe them in or toe out a little ?
I listen roughly 10 feet away from them. I dont like being too near as it can overwhelm my ears.

I'm liking them a lot though!!!!!!!!

I do agree that small changes in placement make a big difference, sometimes a small change will make them sound better and sometimes it just changes the sound a bit. I have found a decent amount of toe in is essential, so far I have had best results if they are toed in such that the inside side of the speaker just disappears from my listening position. That equals about 2.5" difference from the inside and the outside to the back wall. I have also found they sound best quiet close to the rear wall, which is nice, I was concerned they may have to sit too far out into my living room.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 PM

My concern when too close too the rear walls is i would loose some soundstage depth which i'm very particular with. I think my S3s are about 4-5 feet away from the rear walls.
I compensated for some fullness lost by using my room correction device.
Nonetheless, its sounding pretty nice !
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcD View Post
I do agree that small changes in placement make a big difference, sometimes a small change will make them sound better and sometimes it just changes the sound a bit. I have found a decent amount of toe in is essential, so far I have had best results if they are toed in such that the inside side of the speaker just disappears from my listening position. That equals about 2.5" difference from the inside and the outside to the back wall. I have also found they sound best quiet close to the rear wall, which is nice, I was concerned they may have to sit too far out into my living room.
I have my Watt/Puppy 7's setup the same as far as toe in.The difference is I do have my speakers further out in my 20'x15' room. Gives me a deeper soundstage along with better imaging.My room is treated maybe that helps? Just barely able to see the inside of the Watt cabinet when seated in my chair. Isn't that what most Wilson dealers do when setting up per specs? My dealer did when he set up my speakers.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
My concern when too close too the rear walls is i would loose some soundstage depth which i'm very particular with. I think my S3s are about 4-5 feet away from the rear walls.
I compensated for some fullness lost by using my room correction device.
Nonetheless, its sounding pretty nice !
Hi soundslikemusic,

What kind of room correction do you use? Only for the bass or the full spectrum? I know the W.A. speaker are so transparent and revealing that any kind of processing could be damageable to the sound and music.

Btw, I've tried a pair of SASHA @ home and their bass port was 75cm (30 inches) away from the rear wall. I can insure you the soundstage depth was HUGE. Just to say that placing the S3 closer to the rear wall might not compromise the sound field as much as you think.

From what I know of Wilson speakers positioning, the three basic "rules" are:
Far apart from each other,
Not so distant from the rear wall,
And significant toe-in.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Hello,

I can barely see the inside of my WP8s when seated at my sweet point.
The distance between the tweeters is around 15 feet, and my seating position is 16 feet from each tweeter.
And the tweeters are around 4feet from back wall.
Behind my seat there are 20 feet.

And with the WP you are able to use different spikes between Watt and Puppy, and I did like the Owner's manual indicates.

I'm very happy with this arrangement, especially for the truth of the soundstage (depth and width) which are to me essential .

Hope this helps.