AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Amps for Maxx3

hey all.....as you might know, i am a happy owner of Maxx3's.
been driving them with ARC 210, Pass X350.5 and Halcro dm78's.

having recently settled with the Halcro's, I find them lacking the last bit of power at really high volumes and they start to lose control over the speakers, endiing up in a rather harsh sonic picture.

i am now eyeing a pair of Bryston 28B SST. i would still use the ARC Reference 5 pre and ARC Reference 8 player and Naim HDX as sources.

all input on the Maxx3/Bryston 28B SST combo would be highly appreciated.....

seems that this is the ultimate price one spends on such a revealing speaker.....to keep looking for matching electronics......
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM

intouch1...i know that another AA'er (Aerosmith) is driving his Maxx3s with an ARC DS450. You may want to PM him and get his feedback on that combo plus you get an all ARC synergy given your pre and CD player. Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Lamm M1.2s. Take it from a guy who owns Maxx3's, has set up and heard more Maxx 3s in various acoustical spaces with various gear than probably anyone else on this planet. That person is Peter McGrath of Wilson audio. He owns Lamm m1.2s and according to him, he has yet to hear better synergy. Vladimir Lamm coincidently owns two pairs of Maxx 3s and has yet to hear a better speaker for his amps.

I can vouch for Lamm myself with Sasha and Sophia 2's but not Maxx 3's since I have not owned them.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 PM

i surely agree that Lamm amps are some of the best out there. everyone notes their 'human' sonic nature.
i am not trying to replace the ARC or Halcro for their sonic signature.....i simply feel the need for more power regardless of the last nuance in fidelity.

just like a 911 turbo has a very special feel to it and is hard to equal for steering feel and input, an SL 55 AMG has it's charms too and both deliver similar results in different ways.

i want a pair of kilowatt amps for those headbanging sessions that the ARC or Halrcro simply have not covered as they run out of steam and loose control over the frequency extremes.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM

cmalak, i had also considered the ds450. howerver, i already have CIAUDIO switching amps. namely D-500 MKII's. they might measure a kilowatt but don't sound a kilowatt.
i am looking for good old displacement. amps that will move serious air vs the delicate sounding amps i already have.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Well I have heard the Maxx 3's with the Krell 600 mono and that sounded pretty good so I assume the 900 mono's might be better. The Pass Labs 1000.5's are mighty nice too. I have not had the chance to spend any time with the Solution gear but it is supposed to be pretty darn good. From the time I have spent listening to Maxx 3's I have never heard them requiring gobs of power. But they are your speakers.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM

it is certainly not that they require that much power. i am very happy with the aforementioned amps.
however, these speakers certainly can handle more power and that's what i intend to feed them.
i have thought about the pass 1000.5 as well. however their size, heat and heft are keeping me away. i am a great pass fan and own several of their pre- and power amps.

the bryston seem to be a good alternative with a very clean layout and reasonable pricing too.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM

I would have to add is that perception of control and power comes from the texture and overall quality of bass. While it is convenient to think that more power always solves the problem, in reality this is not always the case. Surely Krell evo 600/900 will not be lacking in dynamic slam and contrast that will make you jump out if your chair as will the bigger Bryston amps. In both cases I do feel they will be a bit of a compromise in other areas by comparison... They just don't sound quite as natural, musical or emotional with a very resolving speaker that is able to convey all those nuances as Lamm.

While there are certainly other fine amps, especially class A biased like the bigger Boulder and Classe among a few other choices, this brings me back to the Lamm. You have to hear to believe what Lamm does with bass.

I am still amazed at the quality and texture of bass that my Lamm M1.2 were able to reproduce. The illusion of having a full size drum kit sitting in the listening room floor was all too real...

While the Mc501s were no slouches in the power department, they could not come even close to what the M1.2s did with bass....

Last edited by PHC1; 08-03-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intouch1 View Post
it is certainly not that they require that much power. i am very happy with the aforementioned amps.
however, these speakers certainly can handle more power and that's what i intend to feed them.
i have thought about the pass 1000.5 as well. however their size, heat and heft are keeping me away. i am a great pass fan and own several of their pre- and power amps.

the bryston seem to be a good alternative with a very clean layout and reasonable pricing too.
I would try to audition the Bryston with Maxx3. My dealer carries that combo... I feel Bryston is mated a little better with a less neutral sounding speaker IMHO. It just isn't quite as refined and smooth through the midrange.

I would have no hesitation to use Bryston with SF Elipsa or Strads for example, in fact that is exactly what I am doing in my theater room. When it comes to Wilson, I wouldn't do Bryston personally but I guess we all have our opinions and the best thing is to listen for yourself.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM

PHC1.....you are getting my point. after having sought that last bit of texture and refinement for so long, i also want a pair of amps that will drive the maxx3 to gobsmacking dynamics. and i am not talking dynamic contrast here. just knock you out punch for those rare pop/r&b sessions.

think more stadium than concert hall or auditorium.