AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM

Default Sp16l

Hi everyone. First foray into ARC country. Purchased a SP16L to front my Bryston 4Bsst2 amp. It should arrive on Wednesday. Not sure this is a keeper as I'm in a transition process right now. I'm trying to add some warmth to my system to create better synergy with my new speakers.

I'd appriciate any feedback from people that have heard or owned an SP16L. How would you describe the character of this preamp? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I'm thinking of one as well. What are your impressions?

Regards,
Jim
Old 11-26-2011, 01:59 PM

I owned an SP16L several years ago as my first foray into ARC and tubes. This is a great little pre, very warm and an excellent option for a little tube rolling, if that is your thing. It is not the last word in transparency. If you enjoy the pre, but are still looking for a little more then I would recommend the LS-17. It is a significant step up and allows for balanced operation, similar warmth and an overall better performer in soundstaging, transparency, etc.
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 11-26-2011, 06:01 PM
What?

What speakers are you using?
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 11-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I did not realize that this was an abandoned thread from August. I do not mean to thread jump, but your comments on my application are welcomed. I'm also looking at the LS15, LS5, and SP15, and SP16. I'm running hardwood frame Magnapan MGIIIa's actively triamped. how do you feel about the LS15 vrs. the LS16?
Regards,
Jim
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 PM

Hi everyone,

Just got the SP17L a few days ago and it's my first ARC component. While it is an entry level ARC pre I am very pleased with the results when mated with my CJ ET250S. Don't know if I'll hang on to it in the long run but for now the difference between my previous preamp (Icon Audio LA4 Mk.3) is substantial and thus money well spent. Don't have too many choices in Bangladesh.

Is anyone using the SP17L? Your thoughts and experience with the pre would be welcome.

My best,

Javed
Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM

The sp16 is a darn good preamp after you get rid of the stock EH tubes. I am running a set of 1959 tung sol tubes in it. I have tried 3mica rca 5751 also but the 12ax7 vintage tung sol just seem to get it all right. Nice bass, mids and the top isnt rolled off like the 5751 were on my rig. On the used market, 1100-1600 ( depending if it has phono or not) is a bargin for the sound quality out of this preamp.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmck79 View Post
I owned an SP16L several years ago as my first foray into ARC and tubes. This is a great little pre, very warm and an excellent option for a little tube rolling, if that is your thing. It is not the last word in transparency. If you enjoy the pre, but are still looking for a little more then I would recommend the LS-17. It is a significant step up and allows for balanced operation, similar warmth and an overall better performer in soundstaging, transparency, etc.
I agree with markmck79 , the SP16L is a very affordable and slightly warm ARC preamplifier. I also used one for several years with an ARC D70MKII before moving towards the LS17 which offers more transparency. I decided to change after a direct comparison between the SP16L and the LS17 with a VS115 and Wilson Sophia 2 speakers. Using the single ended connections, there were no tremendous differences, but with the balanced connections, I heard a bigger soundstage with better controlled bass.

Now I am using the LS17SE which brings even more transparency, dynamic and details than the regular version.

To resume myself, I would say that the move from a SP16L to a LS17 is worthwhile, if one can use the XLR connections and for me the best move in that price’s range is towards the LS17SE.

Last edited by Picto; 01-17-2014 at 03:03 PM.