AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
hmmm...i am a Golden Ear Club (GEC) subscriber ($40/yr), so that may be why I have access to Hifi+ articles online. Not sure. Sorry folks.
Yep, I prefer the Hard Copy.

IMHO Hi Fi + was the best Audio magazine out there. They recently changes Editors and were purchased by the parent company of TAS. I do not like the new format as well but will continue to subscribe.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

here's a link to the same review from Wilson's website. this should work (i hope ): http://www.wilsonaudio.com/authentic...SashaHF+67.pdf
Enjoy
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
here's a link to the same review from Wilson's website. this should work (i hope ): http://www.wilsonaudio.com/authentic...SashaHF+67.pdf
Enjoy
Ah, when there is a will, there is a way. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM

Good review. I think Alan Sircom described the attributes of the Sasha to a tee. The uncanny ability of expressing the dynamic shading and contrasts in recorded music, the ability to play any genre of music with equal ease, the proper scale of which the images within the soundstage are neither over exaggerated nor diminutive, the incredible focus and spatial qualities of placing and layering the instruments both front to back as well as side to side, which he calls "reference-class imaging". (In fact, I am often amazed when I hear instruments coming from behind the actual speaker itself not just behind the physical front line of the speakers!). The extended and clean highs (which are also very grain free and refined to my ears but this is gear dependent). The open and accurate midrange that "reconciles audiophiles and music lovers which is rare for a speaker".

He didn't expand on the bass qualities and I have to say that while many would want and appreciate the tight, deep and very articulate bass of Sasha, others may find it more fun when the bass is a bit rounder and fuller although less accurate.

One thing I have to say though. I wish the reviewer tried the Sasha with various amps. That would shed even more light on the fact that the Sasha is extremely capable of being a "chameleon" and allowing the true character of the gear behind it to shine through. Having heard the Sasha with Krell, Ayre and Lamm, they all sounded very different. What amazes me is that with the difference of different amps and their topologies, the Sasha still manages to hold it together and remain "musical". This is a paradox because the speaker either has to be very neutral or very colored to either allow the sonic signature upstream to come through or not. Sasha manages to be both at the same time.... Truly an amazing speaker, one that can serve as a reference quality monitor for a studio but somehow keeps in touch with the music lovers soul at the same time and is not analytical sounding.

Reading the review, I again have to ask myself why I need Maxx 3 at the much greater cost when the Sasha already has the new cabinet and the midrange and tweeter from the Maxx 3.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-29-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

Reading the review, I again have to ask myself why I need Maxx 3 at the much greater cost when the Sasha already has the new cabinet and the midrange and tweeter from the Maxx 3.
Because they are better????

If you didn't stand pat with amps or pre, why would you on speakers.

Just pulling your leg.

Last edited by Still-One; 11-04-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Because they are better????

If you didn't stand at with amps or pre, why would you on speakers.

Just pulling your leg.
The question is how much better. Same tweeter, same midrange, both are +/- 3 dB 20 Hz - 22 kHz Room Average Response. I'll have to give them a thorough listen and try to justify the differences in price.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-29-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Just a note from last evenings Wilson Event at Paragon Sight and Sound. The Wilson rep had a copy in his hand of the latest Hi Fi + Awards Issue that is out in the UK (Issue 68). He noted Hi Fi + had chosen the Sasha's as their Floor Standing Speaker of the year.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Just a note from last evenings Wilson Event at Paragon Sight and Sound. The Wilson rep had a copy in his hand of the latest Hi Fi + Awards Issue that is out in the UK (Issue 68). He noted Hi Fi + had chosen the Sasha's as their Floor Standing Speaker of the year.
Cool, I think they deserve it. At least in their year of birth. I am sure Dave Wilson is very happy knowing that he may finally have hit the nail on the head with a speakers that appeals to the hard core audiophile and the "music lover".

Talking to him in person, his eyes did light up when we were talking about the Maxx 3. That may be his personal favorite.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:33 AM

The Maxx3 is the more resolving speaker, deeper, more powerful bass, and puts out full image where the Sasha puts out a 3/4 image. I have Sashas and love them, but the Maxx3 is a much better speaker.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman View Post
The Maxx3 is the more resolving speaker, deeper, more powerful bass, and puts out full image where the Sasha puts out a 3/4 image. I have Sashas and love them, but the Maxx3 is a much better speaker.
Yep, they seem to be in a different league. But you will pay more than double for the privilege of having them in your home.