AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 AM

I find it interesting that folks will sometimes focus on the technology a particular product uses rather than the sound it produces. While I own Wilson speakers if they ceased to exist tomorrow and I needed new speakers it would be Magico as I've heard the M Pro and thought they sound great. In reality I could live happily forever with either brand regardless of them being either ported or sealed ... I simply love how they both sound.

Cheers

George
Old 03-27-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I find it interesting that folks will sometimes focus on the technology a particular product uses rather than the sound it produces. While I own Wilson speakers if they ceased to exist tomorrow and I needed new speakers it would be Magico as I've heard the M Pro and thought they sound great. In reality I could live happily forever with either brand regardless of them being either ported or sealed ... I simply love how they both sound.

Cheers

George
As a Magico owner, I have similar feelings. Both brands are terrific, and I could live happily with either for a long time.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Charles,

I recognize you from the Wilson forum. If I remember correctly, you were or are a die - hard Wilson fan. At one point, you owned the venerable Maxx 3’s, right?

I, too, am a true Wilson fan, having owned the WP7’s, WP8’s and currently the Sasha #1’s. I’ve always loved them. But, as you might expect, I’m always looking for that ever elusive audio nirvana, which is part of the joy of this hobby for me.

Recently, the question was posed to me, “Have you ever heard Magico?” Truth is I haven’t. It seems the Wilson fan club typically don’t play in the same sandbox as the Magico fans. But after having done some preliminary research, the quest to find out more about this brand grew.

So, having recognized you as an experienced Wilson owner and, perhaps, one who has also listened and enjoyed Magico, I’d love for you to weigh in on the benefits of both. Yes, I recognize that there’s no perfect speaker, but your input will most assuredly proved to be invaluable.

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for asking. I have owned acoustic suspension. I have owned ports. I can tell you it is the execution of the design and not the type that is by far the most important. Then it becomes a matter of taste. Which do you prefer?

Magico is very expensive. However, I believe their design could be further improved by bi or tri- amping. This could take Magico to the next level. I'm not sure why Magico hasn't done this. Any comment from a Magico aficionado?

I don't see this as much of a possibility for Wilsons. Wilsons are complicated enough already: cross flow port; all the time alignment gear; individual adjustable modules for each frequency range; exotic materials for cabinets.

Bi and tri amping; use of sophisticated electronic equalization all possibilities with Magico in future for improvement.

At present Magico and Wilson totally competitive. It's truly a matter of taste. Great to have such a wide range of choices. More designers use ports because I suspect ports are easier to achieve desired result; however Wolf obviously thoroughly understands sealed systems and is the ultimate perfectionist so he's not interested in "easy". He wants perfection.

With Magico you definitely have more models to choose from. This is advantage over Wilson.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house
Old 05-03-2020, 02:18 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Though this may have changed by now, early on Magico offered Q7s (and possibly some others?) with dual binding posts for bi-wiring/bi-amping. But from what I understand it is not recommended by Magico unless the end user really knows what they are doing...

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...7-loudspeakers

This said, I like both Magico and Wilson speakers and will be auditioning both (M3 & Alexia Series 2) after the COVID-19 crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you for asking. I have owned acoustic suspension. I have owned ports. I can tell you it is the execution of the design and not the type that is by far the most important. Then it becomes a matter of taste. Which do you prefer?

Magico is very expensive. However, I believe their design could be further improved by bi or tri- amping. This could take Magico to the next level. I'm not sure why Magico hasn't done this. Any comment from a Magico aficionado?

I don't see this as much of a possibility for Wilsons. Wilsons are complicated enough already: cross flow port; all the time alignment gear; individual adjustable modules for each frequency range; exotic materials for cabinets.

Bi and tri amping; use of sophisticated electronic equalization all possibilities with Magico in future for improvement.

At present Magico and Wilson totally competitive. It's truly a matter of taste. Great to have such a wide range of choices. More designers use ports because I suspect ports are easier to achieve desired result; however Wolf obviously thoroughly understands sealed systems and is the ultimate perfectionist so he's not interested in "easy". He wants perfection.

With Magico you definitely have more models to choose from. This is advantage over Wilson.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.