AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Oh god- another purchase generated by AA. Consider me a soon to be owner of several hats and t shirts.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Oh god- another purchase generated by AA. Consider me a soon to be owner of several hats and t shirts.
Wear and display them with pride.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

I’ve always been a manual gearbox guy, especially with my sports cars.

I had a Honda S2000- manual was a MUST...a BMW M3 ——Manual was critical.

I broke rank and bought the PDK transmission with my Porsche 911. Certainly my Carrera S would be pretty fun with a manual, but PDK is pretty special too.

When I was initially shopping for a 911 turbo, I was manual or bust!!! My attitude changed, however, after a few test drives.

With very fast cars, first gear is often useless in a manual. With 0-60 times becoming increasingly common under 3 seconds, everything happens way faster.

I’m not surprised in these kinds of cars that dual clutch transmissions are taking over. It really helps make the speed much more usable.

For practical purposes, if I were to get another “fun” car that was a 0-60 in say 4 seconds like my Porsche, I could go manual and have fun.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds (or less)- - - I’m surprised to say that I’m a dual clutch convert.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I’ve always been a manual gearbox guy, especially with my sports cars.

I had a Honda S2000- manual was a MUST...a BMW M3 ——Manual was critical.

I broke rank and bought the PDK transmission with my Porsche 911. Certainly my Carrera S would be pretty fun with a manual, but PDK is pretty special too.

When I was initially shopping for a 911 turbo, I was manual or bust!!! My attitude changed, however, after a few test drives.

With very fast cars, first gear is often useless in a manual. With 0-60 times becoming increasingly common under 3 seconds, everything happens way faster.

I’m not surprised in these kinds of cars that dual clutch transmissions are taking over. It really helps make the speed much more usable.

For practical purposes, if I were to get another “fun” car that was a 0-60 in say 4 seconds like my Porsche, I could go manual and have fun.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds (or less)- - - I’m surprised to say that I’m a dual clutch convert.
Makes sense. Precisely why Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Audi R8 no longer come with a manual. Good to have choices though and I still prefer the manual since I've only launched my PDK and Dual Clutch cars a few times each at most and never again. It's pointless (to me) to go from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds beyond the few attempts to see what it's like.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Default https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-new-car-truck-suv-manual-transmission/?wc_mid

I’m guessing an automatic would be faster than me shifting my 345 HP (x51) 911 - the 1-2 shift comes up pretty fast as it is. More HP would make it worse. But there is nothing like the feel and fun of a great manual gearbox.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I’m guessing an automatic would be faster than me shifting my 345 HP (x51) 911 - the 1-2 shift comes up pretty fast as it is. More HP would make it worse. But there is nothing like the feel and fun of a great manual gearbox.
Tom, no doubt. The Porsche PDK is outstanding. If 0-60 is of importance, PDK is the clear choice and especially with launch control. I just don’t know too many people who buy a 911 for constant stop light drag racing. It’s usually more like you either love the manual or you don’t.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

I actually have yet to use Launch Control on my 911. I still need to just to see how if feels. I did launch a 911 Turbo S on a test drive and was shocked at how violent it felt. It was actually the reason (for now) that I decided the Turbo S was too much car for me.

Beyond the launch alone, I've found the PDK transmission downshifts much more aggressively than I ever would (for fear of redlining my car) when I mash on the gas out of a corner, or to pass someone.

I will say the PDK "paddles" aren't intuitive to me at all...in cases where I am throwing the car around in the foothills is the time I miss the manual gearbox. There is something about sweeping into a big apex, and throwing the car into second gear that just feels right. With the manual, you can keep your eye on the road and know exactly which gear you go to by feel alone. With the Dual Clutch paddles, you have to check which gear you are in before blipping to whatever gear you seek...not the same at all. Advantage...Manual---

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Makes sense. Precisely why Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Audi R8 no longer come with a manual. Good to have choices though and I still prefer the manual since I've only launched my PDK and Dual Clutch cars a few times each at most and never again. It's pointless (to me) to go from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds beyond the few attempts to see what it's like.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

I'll have to admit that I am still very immature and LOVE me a good stop light acceleration. I'm not using launch control, just pressing the Sport+ button and mashing on the pedal when the light turns green.

My C2S Cabriolet is a 997.2 model, so it packs 385 HP. I'd say that level of power is the sweet spot for a manual gearbox still being viable without having to be surprised from 1st to 2nd gear too bad.

The car is very fast...but I could be in a manual without getting myself into trouble.

A 997.2 or 991 or newer Turbo S on the other hand, would be a handful.

My friend has a 997.1 Turbo that is a 6 speed and when I drive it, 1st to 2nd gear is pretty stressful as you have a little more than one second to make that happen.

I'm not a track time guy, and really am just out in my "fun" car for fun only (my daily driver Toyota Tacoma is a 6 speed, manual).

I have just come to learn that as these cars are fighting physics the way they are, going really fast is a Dual Clutch game. Regular sports cars are approaching the supercar and hypercar performance of yesterday. At some point, the analog experience is becoming less possible with how fast cars are getting.

At my core I am still an analogue guy and see a manual gearbox still in my future again. But I'd bet my next 6 speed 3 pedal car wont have 500+ HP. If I do get a car with 500+ HP, it'll likely be a dual clutch-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Tom, no doubt. The Porsche PDK is outstanding. If 0-60 is of importance, PDK is the clear choice and especially with launch control. I just don’t know too many people who buy a 911 for constant stop light drag racing. It’s usually more like you either love the manual or you don’t.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Racing Hoopties

As a ‘track guy’, I would prefer my C7GS to be a manual when I am on the track. But for the rest of the 99% of the miles I am in it, the auto is fantastic.

I will eventually try the launch control for a straight line run but there is no doubt in my mind that it shortens the life of the car and will thus be a once and done thing.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I'll have to admit that I am still very immature and LOVE me a good stop light acceleration. I'm not using launch control, just pressing the Sport+ button and mashing on the pedal when the light turns green.

My C2S Cabriolet is a 997.2 model, so it packs 385 HP. I'd say that level of power is the sweet spot for a manual gearbox still being viable without having to be surprised from 1st to 2nd gear too bad.

The car is very fast...but I could be in a manual without getting myself into trouble.

A 997.2 or 991 or newer Turbo S on the other hand, would be a handful.

My friend has a 997.1 Turbo that is a 6 speed and when I drive it, 1st to 2nd gear is pretty stressful as you have a little more than one second to make that happen.

I'm not a track time guy, and really am just out in my "fun" car for fun only (my daily driver Toyota Tacoma is a 6 speed, manual).

I have just come to learn that as these cars are fighting physics the way they are, going really fast is a Dual Clutch game. Regular sports cars are approaching the supercar and hypercar performance of yesterday. At some point, the analog experience is becoming less possible with how fast cars are getting.

At my core I am still an analogue guy and see a manual gearbox still in my future again. But I'd bet my next 6 speed 3 pedal car wont have 500+ HP. If I do get a car with 500+ HP, it'll likely be a dual clutch-
Speaking of “analog” experience and cars, I’ve stopped chasing high HP numbers after all the cars I went through and enjoyed. I’ve also been into crotch rockets for a few decades so speed and aggressive driving and riding was not something I am shy of.

Fast forward to today and for me the “analog experience” has become using 100% of what the car has to offer and a manual gearbox, the one I can fumble a heel and toe downshift and cringe or execute a perfect heel and toe downshift and smile...

Hitting the rev limiter in first three gears without worrying about going to jail, having the rear end step out in controllable fun little slide at the flick of the wrist into a curve in the road while barely going over the speed limit, is where the pure fun is.

I’m not worried about the mileage, I’m not worried about where I park , I’m not paying crazy maintenance and insurance rates... I’m not worried about depreciation, occasional pothole or a bump in the road to scratch the chin spoiler or any other dreaded thoughts that accompany the motoring experience of a car with a price tag of a “median home”....

I simply push a button, watch the sexy hard top lift and retract itself into the rear of the car and enjoy a nice open top “targa style” summer evening drive past the pastures with grazing cows, horses, smelling the sweet scent of fresh cut grass and enjoy the breeze in my face and the long winding roads. No drama, no ruckus, just a nice motoring experience with my wife by my side. Judging by her smile, all is good in this world.

At those moments the 150hp and a sweet 6 speed manual in a 2200lb go kart like roadster is just the right formula for me. (Miata RF)