World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . Bach's Master Interpreter - Pablo Casals Conducts
The Six Brandenburg Concertos

A Columbia LP Box set, produced in 1965

Rudolf Serkin - Piano
Peter Serkin Harpshichord Continuo
Alexander Schneider - Violin
Marlboro Festival Orchestra

Pablo Casals was 89 in 1965 when he conducted the orchestra, making this recording, yet the performances are so excitingly full of vigor that they have been said to be the best ever done. It was said at the time that no one would ever make a better recording of the Brandenburg - and listening, I can only think that I'm not sure I've ever heard any better.

I noticed that these have been available on CD, but looking at the exorbitant price of $315 for a used copy, I think it would be much, much cheaper to find an LP copy for a whole lot less.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 05-19-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Had to re-do the picture
Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Default Vivaldi for diverse instruments

Now back home enjoying the stereo again...

Vivaldi for diverse instruments, Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra, Nicholas McGegan

This is a superb Reference Recordings release of excellent Vivaldi concerti played with a light, athletic touch. A good way to get the day going!

By the way, John Butt (Dunedin Consort fame) is a performer on this recording playing the harpsichord/organ.

Last edited by cma29; 05-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Neville Marriner - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields - The Argo Years

28 DECCA discs

Not available yet - set to ship June 10th . . . but this promises to be a WOW of a set - and available for pre-order from Amazon at $49.95 - for 28 Discs.

I just ordered it. To my mind, no one has ever done it better than (Sir) Neville Marriner and The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields and Decca did it right on their Argo label.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 05-19-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I believe this is the corresponding CD, but also with two Beethoven VCs (4 & 5) which no doubt add to the enjoyment.

I ordered this three days ago from one of Amazon's "sellers" and much to my surprise, it came in today - all the way from California to Georgia (which, Bart and you other Europe folks, is a very long way).

Anyway, I'm playing the Mozart Sonatas now and they are terrific - Richter on piano is amazing and Oleg Kagaan's violin ain't too shabby either. The sound is not exceptional but is certainly quite listenable and enjoyable.

A two disc EMI Classics CD set of Mozart and Beethoven Violin Sonatas played by Sviatoslav Richter on piano and Oleg Kagaan on violin.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Life is beautiful

Second time I watch this and I find it splendid:

Great music, well played, good sound.
The image quality deserves a special mention: first rate!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 AM

Heads up for Oppo 10x owners it now includes The Berliner Philharmoniker app via new firmware release, which I'm using listening to a free concert with Sir Simon Rattle. It's HD video and cd sound it sounds great!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Default Are Bart and I the only ones?

Listening to . . . . Handel Organ Concertos Nos. 1, 2, 3 & 4 - Vollume 1

Daniel Chorzempa - Tracker Organ
Concerto Amsterdam - Jaap Schroder, Director

Volume 1 of the 4 disc series of Handel's complete Organ Concertos, which has become not only my favorite set of recordings of this music, but also is among my favorite recordings, period.

A Pentatone SACD remaster of Philips Quadro master tapes recorded in 1976.

Absolutely gorgeous music and sound. Very highly recommended.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM

Sibelius: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D Minor, Op. 47; Tapiola: Tone Poem, Op. 112
London Symphony
Tauno Hannikainen, violin
Tossy Spivakovsky conducting
Everest 35mm magnetic film recordings

Excellent sound on this great performance of one of my favorite violin concertos.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Neville Marriner - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields - The Argo Years 28 DECCA discs Not available yet - set to ship June 10th . . . but this promises to be a WOW of a set - and available for pre-order from Amazon at $49.95 - for 28 Discs. I just ordered it. To my mind, no one has ever done it better than (Sir) Neville Marriner and The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields and Decca did it right on their Argo label.
Thanks for the tip, just ordered. I'm also a fan of Marriner and The Academy, and hard to go wrong at less than $2 a disk.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofan1 View Post
Heads up for Oppo 10x owners it now includes The Berliner Philharmoniker app via new firmware release, which I'm using listening to a free concert with Sir Simon Rattle. It's HD video and cd sound it sounds great!
Yes! I have subscribed and been having a great time searching through the archives. This weekend, I played through most of the Abbado concerts (and, sadly, watched the man age).