AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Significant new product from Schiit – Eitr

Schiit Audio has recently released some significant new products/upgrades for their D/A conversion suite of products.

The first was a brand new USB implementation called "Gen 5" and the other was Eitr, a $179 USB > S/PDIF convertor that incorporates the new Gen 5 USB implementation. I should point out that Schiit's implementation of these two new "functionalities" are important because they used transformers instead of optocouplers to isolate the signal electromagnetically and electrostatically for this implementation. This results in a significant improvement in sound quality over their older Gen 2/Gen 3 USB implementations.

This post is about the Eitr USB > S/PDIF convertor. I've had my Eitr for about two months now so I thought I would post some impressions/experiences for the gang...

I should at this point clarify that I am using Eitr with my loudspeaker system, (C-J CT-5 preamp, LP70S stereo power amp, Shunyata Triton power distribution with compelete Shunyata power cords, etc. All Audioquest Columbia or Colorado interconnects, and Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Dynaudio Esotar 2 tweeter upgrade),

My digital setup during this review was a Sonore microRendu USB streamer streaming content using Roon and via Wifi from a Mac Mini, and (temporarily) a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC and Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor as my interim digital setup while my Gungnir was away getting upgraded to a Multibit and the Schiit New Gen 5 USB.

I originally bought Eitr for use with my Gungnir while I waited in the queue to be able to send it in for a Gen 5 USB and Multibit upgrade. One of the reasons I opted for the Gen 5 upgrade is that I had a USB port/controller failure on Gungnir after disconnecting and reconnecting my Sonore microRendu when I moved the Mac Mini out of the stereo rack to move it into the bedroom in the other part of the house to get rid of all the high-bandwidth computer processor noise emanating from the Mac Mini (and sitting next to the stereo amplifiers; computers put out a sh*tload of noise).

After moving the Mac Mini out, the USB port on the Gungnir simply would not work anymore, at all. The DAC would not even show up when directy connected to a computer USB port. I attribute this mostly likely to a static electricity-charge induced failure.

So, I placed an order for a Gen 5 USB and Multibit upgrade, pulled the Gungnir out of the rack, and I put my Modi 2 Uber into the system and it works fine with the Sonore.

But, I wasn't that overly thrilled with the sound. Obviously, while the Modi 2 Uber is a good DAC, it does not sound as good as a Gungnir. It was acceptable; good, but certainly not great, it has a somewhat thin, dry & sterile presentation of the music compared to Gungnir, with a smaller soundstage (and nowhere near as good Loki, I might add, FWIW).

Then, Eitr got released. I figured, hmmm, I could use Eitr with it's Gen 5 USB/SPDIF conversion functionality and connect via the SPDIF input on Gungnir while I wait in queue. So, I ordered it, and when Eitr arrived, I hooked it up to the SPDIF input of Gungnir using a single Zu Wylde RCA interconnect.

My digital music chain at this point was: Mac Mini sending files from Roon wirelessly over wi-fi > Airport Express in the stereo rack > Ethenet Cat 5>Sonore microRendu > Eitr > Zu Wylde RCA "analog" interconnect cable > Gungnir SPDIF input > C-J amplification chain. Well, it sounded pretty darn good, and more importantly, my Gungnir was back in business while I waited in queue. Cool.

Meantime, I ordered an open-box Shunyata RCA terminated SPDIF 75 ohm digital cable. Once I got that, I replaced the Zu Wylde regular RCA analogue interconnect with the Shunyata 75 ohm digital coax SPDIF cable.

So now, my chain was this: Mac Mini/Roon > Airport Express > Sonore microRendu > Eitr > Shunyata Venom 75 ohm SPDIF digital coax> Gungnir SPDIF input.

Another NOTABLE improvement: with the Shunyata 75-ohm digital cable the sound quality was smoother, sweeter, more dimensional and more full-sounding than with the Zu cable, quite noticebly so. Soooo, now we're actually cookin' with gas...the system sounded VERY good and most importantly, my Gungnir was back in the system and performing to it's full potential. In fact, Eitr using a good SPDIF digital coax cable sounded notably better than the original direct (Gen 2) USB input on Gungnir. I realized that I had been using my Gungnir for the last 3 1/2 years not knowing how good it actually sounded!

So, I used this confiuguration until I got the email this week from the fine folks at Schiit to send in my Gungnir for my upgrades, which I did yesterday. I just put my Modi 2 Uber back into the system, but this time I used it in conjunction with Eitr and the Shunyata digital cable.

Okaayyy...using the SPDIF input on Modi 2 Uber in conjunction with Eitr takes this setup up quite a notch, IMHO. The musical presentation is now more natural, more full-bodied, sweeter-sounding, less sterile, and quieter than using the USB input only on Modi 2 Uber. NOT as good as Gungnir, but really quite good, impressively so when you consider what Eitr brings to the table for what it cost, and good enough that I can live with this easily until my Gungnir gets back from it's upgrades.

So, bottom line...Eitr is a WINNER. Either used with Gungnir in place the stock Gen 2 USB, or with Modi 2 Uber in place of USB (Modi 2 Uber does not utilize the Gen 5 USB implementation), Eitr brings a notable improvement in sound quality and a more enjoyable and engaging musical experience. BIG thumbs up from me.

Bottom line: If you have a computer connected via USB to a DAC that also has a SPDIF RCA coax input, you really might want to give the Schiit Eitr a try and connect via a S/PDIF RCA coax cable. The big take home lesson I got from this was just how dirty, hashy, grungy, crappy and noisy most USB ports/controllers/interfaces really are.

Another report on the new Gen 5 USB interface from Schiit now that my Gungnir has been metamorphosed into a Gumby. Cut to the chase:the problems with USB are now solved.

Hope this mini-review is helpful to the community.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-27-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......Very interesting review of the Schiit Audio Eitr.

My problem is I can't seem to get past the company name. When someone asks me what's that, I don't want to have to respond it's Schiit. Can't help it. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

It took me 35 years to get over Smuckers Jelly.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Stephen, thank you!

And I don't mind the name... very much.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

My problem is I can't seem to get past the company name. When someone asks me what's that, I don't want to have to respond it's Schiit. Can't help it. .
Hi Dan,

Well, you could always tell them it's "Eitr".

Audio is supposed to be fun and Jason and Mike at Schiit bring a sense of humor and "let's not take things TOO seriously" sensibility that a lot of folks find refreshing, including me.

And when you think about it, though, the name is no sillier than a product line named for a fictional alien race from the planet Altair IV in Forbidden Planet, or DarTZeel, Lampizator, Shakti, or all those products named "XXXX Reference Signature Platinum"

Just sayin'...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-27-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM

I've had my Yggy 2 years, and early on I noticed that its Gen 3 USB input didn't sound nearly as good as the coax input (too much energy up top, and a bit anemic in bass). I use an Audiophilleo 2 to convert iMac USB to SPDiF/coax; the DAC's sound quality is extremely satisfying this way.

Certainly, based on reports, I'd be optimistic that they've created a solution in Eitr that could compete with the Audiophilleo and similar products for much less cost. That said, I'm a bit miffed from my experience with their Gen 3 USB, since there was a lot of early hype about how excellent the Gen 3 supposedly was, and it didn't pan out to my ears. Furthermore, my Yggy experienced an early control board failure within about a month out of the box. And let me not mention the ugly chassis (whoops)

I like the Yggy, but I see an awful lot of hype and Kool-aid drinking when it comes to Schiit products.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I've had my Yggy 2 years, and early on I noticed that its Gen 3 USB input didn't sound nearly as good as the coax input (too much energy up top, and a bit anemic in bass). I use an Audiophilleo 2 to convert iMac USB to SPDiF/coax; the DAC's sound quality is extremely satisfying this way.

Certainly, based on reports, I'd be optimistic that they've created a solution in Eitr that could compete with the Audiophilleo and similar products for much less cost. That said, I'm a bit miffed from my experience with their Gen 3 USB, since there was a lot of early hype about how excellent the Gen 3 supposedly was, and it didn't pan out to my ears. Furthermore, my Yggy experienced an early control board failure within about a month out of the box. And let me not mention the ugly chassis (whoops)

I like the Yggy, but I see an awful lot of hype and Kool-aid drinking when it comes to Schiit products.
If you're interested enough to get an Eitr, I am 95% confident you will find it outperforms your Audiophileo. Schiit pulled out all the stops on Eitr, including separate linear power supplies for both the USB and S/PDIF circuits, and having the S/PDIF circuit with it's own, separate isolation from the USB circuit (also including the use of transformers instead of optocouplers).

You may want to consider getting your Yggy updated to the new Gen 5 USB implementation, because, based on my experience with my Gumby, it's as good as coax S/PDIF using Eitr...in some respects, the character of the difference would be preferable to some folks, including me. More on that in my review of the Schiit Gen 5 USB implementation. And yes, some products do have failures, but this is true for ANY product made by ANY manufacturer. There are no defect-free manufacturing processes; they do not exist; just ask Toyota or Honda Motor.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-27-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
If you're interested enough to get an Eitr, I am 95% confident you will find it outperforms your Audiophileo. Schiit pulled out all the stops on Eitr, including separate linear power supplies for both the USB and S/PDIF circuits, and having the S/PDIF circuit with it's own, separate isolation from the USB circuit (also including the use of transformers instead of optocouplers).

You may want to consider getting your Yggy updated to the new Gen 5 USB implementation, because, based on my experience with my Gumby, it's as good as coax S/PDIF using Eitr...in some respects, the character of the difference would be preferable to some folks, including me. More on that in my review of the Schiit Gen 5 USB implementation. And yes, some products do have failures, but this is true for ANY product made by ANY manufacturer. There are no defect-free manufacturing processes; they do not exist; just ask Toyota or Honda Motor.
Thanks for the info...the Eitr (plus some sort of decent coax cable) is definitely of interest. I'm hesitant to send the Yggy in for Gen 5 upgrade, as I don't have a 2nd DAC.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Thanks for the info...the Eitr (plus some sort of decent coax cable) is definitely of interest. I'm hesitant to send the Yggy in for Gen 5 upgrade, as I don't have a 2nd DAC.
Hi Mike,
If you're hesitant to send in your Yggy for the upgrade, then I would definitely try out Eitr; that was one of the reasons they built Eitr; was for folks that didn't want to send their DAC right away, but wanted the benefit of the Gen 5 USB improvements. I am pretty confident you will be very happy with the improvement it brings. As for a decent digital RCA coax, I was able to get my Shunyata as an open box item for $85, so the expense wasn't very much. I'm sure Ivan would make you a good deal on a Wireworld RCA digital coax cable.

Also, if you need a DAC to use while you send in your Yggy; let me know, I'd be happy to send you my Light Harmonic Geek Out USB DAC on loan while your Yggy is at the Schiit-shop getting the upgrade. Schiit turned my upgrade around in one week, from time of receipt to shipping back out; you just have to get into "the queue" for the upgrade. Just send me a PM if you'd like to borrow it. Cheers!
– Stephen aka Puma Cat
Old 09-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

I laughed out loud when I read this ,that’s hilarious!