AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Semi-audiophile

I thought I would put the displaced WW Electra 7 on the 88FD, so I switched out the WW Stratus 7 two days ago. Today, I thought I'd watch something and test the sound to see if it was different. I turned on the system, but the 88 wouldn't come on. Sure enough, the same WW Electra that wouldn't hold on the C2300 also wouldn't hold on the 88FD; it's even looser there, and horizontally to boot. After a couple of minutes of struggling with the Electra, I put the Stratus 7 back.

Even though the 88FD is a two-prong IEC device, the lack of grip was a disappointing surprise. The Stratus has no problem, so I don't know what to make of this. I think perhaps I've had enough, though.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 02-18-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Semi-audiophile

Update: almost all power cords are now Transparent Audio High Performance PCs. A C7 PS Audio Jewel AC is on my laserdisc player. I'm pleased to report I've had no grip issues since making this move. And as for the remaining WW cords on my Furman gear, a Shunyata Venom HC (C19) and Venom HC extension will take over on the SPR-20i, and I may well retire my phono preamp to use the Transparent HPPC there on my Elite 15-PFi; another option is a 1m Jewel AC already in house. Either way, I'd like to think my grip issues are over.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Update: almost all power cords are now Transparent Audio High Performance PCs. A C7 PS Audio Jewel AC is on my laserdisc player. I'm pleased to report I've had no grip issues since making this move. And as for the remaining WW cords on my Furman gear, a Shunyata Venom HC (C19) and Venom HC extension will take over on the SPR-20i, and I may well retire my phono preamp to use the Transparent HPPC there on my Elite 15-PFi; another option is a 1m Jewel AC already in house. Either way, I'd like to think my grip issues are over.
Many of my power cords are Transparent now and there is definitely no grip issues.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 09-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Semi-audiophile

The Shunyata Venom HC I ordered from Masterlu arrived today. It went on my Furman SPR-20i and, no surprise, it grips better than the VooDoo adaptor/WW Stratus combo it replaces. One last WW cord (the one connecting my Elite-15PFi to the SPR) to deal with, and the PC changeover will be complete.

Interesting that, though the're the same model, the Venom HC extension is a much darker blue than the regular Venom HC cord. That's on purpose, I suppose.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:18 AM

Hows it sound?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Locking IEC Cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Here is an interesting thing. The WW Stratus which was shaky with its grip on my Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD, has a better grip on the BPD-88FD replacing it. Go figure.
Browsing a couple of threads this am.
Curious why so many are concerned with the insertion force/friction fit of the power cords. This appears to be what is called 'a solved problem'. Especially for medical and military applications. Locking IEC connectors come in a variety of solutions, some including built in supports for heavy cables, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

has this been discussed here and discarded?
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 09-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofan1 View Post
Hows it sound?
I'm still at work and internet was down when I left home, so I'll post this quickly. I hooked things up last night and after about ten minutes of warm-up put on a CD featuring my usual reference track, Fanfare for the Common Man by the Atlanta symphony Orchestra. All I had time for last night was this one CD.

Not sure if it's an illusion, but in semi-attentive listening I'm pretty sure the bottom end improved, with more weight and maybe a smidge tighter. I'll have to listen to more stuff, including some DVD reference tracks, to see if this is a pattern.