AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 PM
dtaudio dtaudio is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Default

My listening room is located on the lower floor of our home so the floor is concrete slab on grade covered by rubber underlay and wool carpet. The walls are Sheetrock on insulation filled wood studs. Nothing fancy.
I have a couple of photos that I would like to post but I still can't see how to do that. Can anyone tell me how to attach a photo from my iPhoto library to the Reply box? It's a mystery to me!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-14-2017, 02:18 AM
Art Vandelay's Avatar
Art Vandelay Art Vandelay is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaudio View Post
I have a couple of photos that I would like to post but I still can't see how to do that. Can anyone tell me how to attach a photo from my iPhoto library to the Reply box? It's a mystery to me!
Instructions here....

https://www.audioaficionado.org/faq....b3_attachments

If the option is not available it could be that you need to accumulate x number of posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:41 AM
krustycat's Avatar
krustycat krustycat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 601
Default

You may need to be a subscriber too.
__________________
Mike -- B&W 802 D3 x 2, HTM1 D3, CM10 x 2, JL Audio F113 v2, SVS PB-12 Plus for LFE rear, McIntosh C2500 Tungsram ECC83/12AX7 NOS 1971 Hungary, McIntosh MC601 x 2, MC8207, MEN220, Esoteric K-03x, CAPS v4 Pipeline, NAS: Synology, WireWorld Silver El. 7 2.0m x 3, Silver Ec. 7 1.5m x 2, Platinum St. 7 USB 1.0m, Marantz AV8802a, 4 dedicated 20 A lines with Cruzefirstaudio Maestro Outlets. Primacoustic London 16 | Acoustic Panel Room Kit.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-14-2017, 07:47 PM
dtaudio dtaudio is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the responses regarding posting photos. It doesn't appear that I will be able to do so at this time as I don't seem to have the right permissions.
So here is my shot at describing the room treatments. The process started by me sending Chris Huston photos of the room as well as many detailed measurements. He developed a plan that he felt would address any sonic issues as well as blend with the existing architectural features of the room. After my approval, he sent me working drawings for all the treatments he recommended as well as detailed elevations showing exactly where they should be installed.
I have access to a small millwork shop and I am a reasonably skilled amateur carpenter so I was able to construct almost all of the treatments and install them myself.
There are two main areas Chris focussed on - the sidewalks and the ceiling. The room doubles as a home theatre so a large flat panel TV occupies a fair bit of the front wall making placing treatments there difficult. The rear wall has a floor to ceiling built in cabinet with many open shelves for media storage as well as being the location of the entry door to the room.
The main feature of the sidewalls are large panels which I will call slat diffusers (this may not be the correct technical name). Each one measures 6' 3" long by 6' 4" high and consists of a repeating pattern of vertical "slats" all 1 1/2" wide but varying in depth from 1 1/2" to 5 1/2". They are spaced 1" apart. There is an absorbing section on top of the slat panel that extends to the ceiling.
There are also 3 24"x48" absorbing panels (Corning 703/705) on each side wall; one toward the front of the room and two toward the back of the room.
The ceiling treatment is twofold. There are 8 24"x24" Auralex Wavelens diffusion panels located in about the middle of the ceiling as measured front to back. They are installed in a staggered pattern. The rear portion of the ceiling contains 5 24" x 24" absorbing panels made using Corning 705 and again in a staggered pattern.
All this is a bit difficult to describe but I hope this gives you the idea. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the outcome, to my ears, has been excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 AM
Art Vandelay's Avatar
Art Vandelay Art Vandelay is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaudio View Post
There are two main areas Chris focussed on - the sidewalks and the ceiling. The room doubles as a home theatre so a large flat panel TV occupies a fair bit of the front wall making placing treatments there difficult. The rear wall has a floor to ceiling built in cabinet with many open shelves for media storage as well as being the location of the entry door to the room.
The main feature of the sidewalls are large panels which I will call slat diffusers (this may not be the correct technical name). Each one measures 6' 3" long by 6' 4" high and consists of a repeating pattern of vertical "slats" all 1 1/2" wide but varying in depth from 1 1/2" to 5 1/2". They are spaced 1" apart. There is an absorbing section on top of the slat panel that extends to the ceiling.
There are also 3 24"x48" absorbing panels (Corning 703/705) on each side wall; one toward the front of the room and two toward the back of the room.
The ceiling treatment is twofold. There are 8 24"x24" Auralex Wavelens diffusion panels located in about the middle of the ceiling as measured front to back. They are installed in a staggered pattern. The rear portion of the ceiling contains 5 24" x 24" absorbing panels made using Corning 705 and again in a staggered pattern.
All this is a bit difficult to describe but I hope this gives you the idea. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the outcome, to my ears, has been excellent.
From what you describe, the treatments seem to be sensible and without excessive absorption. If you stand in the middle of the room and click your fingers you shouldn't hear any room chatters but you should hear a small amount of decay.

Fwiw, I plugged the room dimensions into REW room sim and the result wasn't too bad. You will probably hear the primary 34Hz room mode on program with low bass, but there's also a slight suckout in the upper bass which which might make some recordings sound a bit lean. (I'm assuming that you're listening distance is roughly 10 feet) Your room treatments mostly work at mid and high frequencies to the benefit of soundstage and overall tonal accuracy. Reducing the 34Hz mode would be difficult to do with bass traps because it's such a low frequency, but if you're not hearing it on most program it's not a problem. Actually, some room gain in that region is preferred by most listeners anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:03 PM
ariess ariess is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaudio View Post
Thanks for the responses regarding posting photos. It doesn't appear that I will be able to do so at this time as I don't seem to have the right permissions.
So here is my shot at describing the room treatments. The process started by me sending Chris Huston photos of the room as well as many detailed measurements. He developed a plan that he felt would address any sonic issues as well as blend with the existing architectural features of the room. After my approval, he sent me working drawings for all the treatments he recommended as well as detailed elevations showing exactly where they should be installed.
I have access to a small millwork shop and I am a reasonably skilled amateur carpenter so I was able to construct almost all of the treatments and install them myself.
There are two main areas Chris focussed on - the sidewalks and the ceiling. The room doubles as a home theatre so a large flat panel TV occupies a fair bit of the front wall making placing treatments there difficult. The rear wall has a floor to ceiling built in cabinet with many open shelves for media storage as well as being the location of the entry door to the room.
The main feature of the sidewalls are large panels which I will call slat diffusers (this may not be the correct technical name). Each one measures 6' 3" long by 6' 4" high and consists of a repeating pattern of vertical "slats" all 1 1/2" wide but varying in depth from 1 1/2" to 5 1/2". They are spaced 1" apart. There is an absorbing section on top of the slat panel that extends to the ceiling.
There are also 3 24"x48" absorbing panels (Corning 703/705) on each side wall; one toward the front of the room and two toward the back of the room.
The ceiling treatment is twofold. There are 8 24"x24" Auralex Wavelens diffusion panels located in about the middle of the ceiling as measured front to back. They are installed in a staggered pattern. The rear portion of the ceiling contains 5 24" x 24" absorbing panels made using Corning 705 and again in a staggered pattern.
All this is a bit difficult to describe but I hope this gives you the idea. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the outcome, to my ears, has been excellent.
If you email me the pictures I can post them.
__________________
ARC GS150 Amp, ARC Reference 10 Preamp, Esoteric K1, G01 Master Clock, Aurender N100H Bowers & Wilkins 802D3, Shunyata Triton V3, Typhon, Denali, Sigma Zitron Cables, Transparent Gen 5 Reference XL Cables, WW Platinum 7 Digital, Stillpoints Ultra 5 & SS, SR Black Fuses

Last edited by Masterlu; 10-15-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Posting your email address is against Forum Rules.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Antonmb's Avatar
Antonmb Antonmb is online now
Senior Member


 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northwest Washington (Mt Baker foothills)
Posts: 3,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaudio View Post
Thanks for the responses regarding posting photos. It doesn't appear that I will be able to do so at this time as I don't seem to have the right permissions.

For $25/year you can become a member and pictures right away.
__________________
Tony
"Have you seen the stars tonight?"
________________________________
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM, Klimax Twin, Uphorik; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion cartridge; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & various Ztron powersnakes; Shunyata Ztron Cobra IC & speaker cables; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Mini; Synology DS412+; VPI HW-27
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6 w/upgrades, Woo WA7 "Fireflies", Auralic Aries Mini, Astell & Kern AK100 II, AKG K Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, Various Moon Audio cables
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, various Nordost power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Cambridge Audio Azur 340R, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, AZ sc & ic
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 PM
ariess ariess is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
For $25/year you can become a member and pictures right away.


Well since he is doing us a favor by showing us his pics I offered to do him a favor and post the pictures. No need to pressure anyone.
__________________
ARC GS150 Amp, ARC Reference 10 Preamp, Esoteric K1, G01 Master Clock, Aurender N100H Bowers & Wilkins 802D3, Shunyata Triton V3, Typhon, Denali, Sigma Zitron Cables, Transparent Gen 5 Reference XL Cables, WW Platinum 7 Digital, Stillpoints Ultra 5 & SS, SR Black Fuses
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Antonmb's Avatar
Antonmb Antonmb is online now
Senior Member


 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northwest Washington (Mt Baker foothills)
Posts: 3,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Well since he is doing us a favor by showing us his pics I offered to do him a favor and post the pictures. No need to pressure anyone.


I didn’t intend to pressure, only trying to inform.
__________________
Tony
"Have you seen the stars tonight?"
________________________________
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM, Klimax Twin, Uphorik; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion cartridge; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & various Ztron powersnakes; Shunyata Ztron Cobra IC & speaker cables; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Mini; Synology DS412+; VPI HW-27
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6 w/upgrades, Woo WA7 "Fireflies", Auralic Aries Mini, Astell & Kern AK100 II, AKG K Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, Various Moon Audio cables
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, various Nordost power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Cambridge Audio Azur 340R, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, AZ sc & ic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2017 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Sound Anchors
Sound Anchors
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Wyred 4 Sound
Wyred 4 Sound
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase