AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM

After owning the GM, most stand mount speakers look slightly disproportionate with the slender stand.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 AM

What an unexpected surprise!

I took time off today to visit my dealer whom coincidentally have both GE and Accordo in the same showroom. Even better it is set up in the same listening room I am familiar with. A golden opportunity and not to be missed!!

I spent several hours spinning tracks I am used to but it didn't take too long to hear the differences between GE and Accordo. Its powered by Passlabs XA60.5 monos with Orpheus Zero & Two as source. Its in a small room about 13 x 13 x 17 ft with minor treatments and 3 pairs of standmount speakers in the room.

Listening to GE versus Accordo side by side you can immediately hear the difference:

1) The Accordo highs are delicate and airy. It throws a spacious, open, and 3D imaging...the soundstage is so wide and open that vocals (particular female vocalist) are clear with delicate nuance that is intimate with natural decays.
2) Accordo is surprisingly neutral in tonality. It plays very well with small classical pieces, vocals, and jazz with sufficient bass notes to keep pace with rhythm.
3) The clarity from Accordo is superb and its transient response is immediate and fast yet refine. It excels with acoustic pieces particularly acoustic guitars and with speed.
4) The pair of Accordo has been running in for a week...I tried some tracks that are more complex classical and drum pieces that goes pretty low. The lower mids though taut but do not go as low versus GE.
5) When scale to fortissimo Accordo struggles to stay compose and bass lines lacks control. In certain tracks I can hear chuffing noise from the drivers particularly when it plunge to very low freq. This perhaps could be due to lack of sufficient run-in. Though its loudness is limited but is adequate for small room..

Overall the Accordo is impressive - neutral, clear, refine and immaculate in finish. The GE still holds its ground when complex arrangements come into play and I am confident it will perform even in a mid size room. There is also preference in play here...I find GE tonality is rounder and vocals sounds fuller where some would refer this to chest voice while Accordo is clearer, airier, and thinner where singer resonate through head cavity. It will appeal to different camps and preference in sound, genre of music, and listening space are key factors.

Last edited by larevoj; 04-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larevoj View Post
What an unexpected surprise!

I took time off today to visit my dealer whom coincidentally have both GE and Accordo in the same showroom. Even better it is set up in the same listening room I am familiar with. A golden opportunity and not to be missed!!

I spent several hours spinning tracks I am used to but it didn't take too long to hear the differences between GE and Accordo. Its powered by Passlabs XA60.5 monos with Orpheus Zero & Two as source. Its in a small room about 13 x 13 x 17 ft with minor treatments and 3 pairs of standmount speakers in the room.

Listening to GE versus Accordo side by side you can immediately hear the difference:

1) The Accordo highs are delicate and airy. It throws a spacious, open, and 3D imaging...the soundstage is so wide and open that vocals (particular female vocalist) are clear with delicate nuance that is intimate with natural decays.
2) Accordo is surprisingly neutral in tonality. It plays very well with small classical pieces, vocals, and jazz with sufficient bass notes to keep pace with rhythm and pace.
3) The clarity from Accordo is superb and its transient response is immediate and fast yet refine. It excels with acoustic pieces particularly acoustic guitars and with speed.
4) The pair of Accordo has been running in for a week...I tried some tracks that are more complex classical and drum pieces that goes pretty low. The lower mids though taut but do not go as low versus GE.
5) When scale to fortissimo Accordo struggles to stay compose and bass lines lacks control. In certain tracks I can hear chuffing noise from the drivers particularly when it plunge to very low freq. This perhaps could be due to lack of sufficient run-in. Though its loudness is limited but is adequate for small room..

Overall the Accordo is impressive - neutral, clear, refine and immaculate in finish. The GE still holds its ground when complex arrangements come into play and I am confident it will perform even in a mid size room. There is also preference in play here...I find GE tonality is rounder and vocals sounds fuller where some would refer this to chest voice while Accordo is clearer, airier, and thinner where singer resonate through head cavity. It will appeal to different camps and preference in sound, genre of music, and listening space are key factors.
Very nice and fair! It seems, that review was also objective .
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miziq View Post
Very nice and fair! It seems, that review was also objective .
Not trying too hard to be fair but simply noting what I heard...in fact I was typing on my MBA while listening to Accordo.

Accordo compliment nicely with solidstate amplification that has a warmer tonality like pure Class A or tube. I felt it helps to tame its high frequency better and add some weight to its overall sound.

One thing I did note is the wow factor slowly wears off after a long period listening. At first instance I was pretty impressed by its high frequency notes and transparency...but after awhile I think its not my cuppa - I like it black with no milk
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
After owning the GM, most stand mount speakers look slightly disproportionate with the slender stand.
I think the stands are similar to Cremona Auditor M but in reverse and between the two I prefer the Cremona Auditor M stands.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

High Fidelity Review May Issue

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 AM

They are very beautiful speakers.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM

IMO the only conclusion you can draw from this review is that soulution, which has this hard/bright/mechanical sound typical to high negative foodback designs, is not an optimal match with those speakers. They need sth on the warmer side, like the Jadis gear to show its magic - then you can have your cake (transparency) and eat it too (famous Serblin magic).

Last edited by Elberoth; 05-05-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
IMO the only conclusion you can draw from this review is that soulution, which has this hard/bright/mechanical sound typical to high negative foodback designs, is not an optimal match with those speakers. They need sth on the warmer side, like the Jadis gear to show its magic - then you can have your cake (transparency) and eat it too (famous Serblin magic).
Yes, amplifiers will have some impact but I have auditioned with Passlabs before this recent review and had similar conclusion. The Accordo is different and not your usual SF/FS sound.