AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Default Devialet amplifiers

Hi folks. I visited a audiophiles home and system on the weekend with rather depressing results. You know that old story about never listening to something you can't afford. Well I have heard this system in the past and frankly I didn't like it. Something was wrong.

The system had a Devialet D Premier at its heart with an Aurrender supplying the tunes and a PS audio p10 for power. Something was wrong on that previous occasion and I didn't enjoy the sound so I went home happy to listen to my CJ valve amps through my Vivid B1s.

On Sunday I went to listen to the same guys now modified Martin Logan speakers. The Devialet had the latest 7.0 software and the Martin Logan Prodigies had brand new crossovers made from quality parts built locally.

It's ruined my system. Now my home setup just sounds all wrong, it's like my brain has been reset and it's very disturbing. I am hearing all the faults in my system. Worse still, I paid just under 10 grand for my DAC, the 170 Devialet ( I think that is now the 200 once you upgrade software) sells for about that and it's an amp, preamp, DAC and phono stage all in one........and it predecessor makes my system sound broken.

What is disturbing is that I wasn't that keen on the Devialet before, including hearing it playing through Vivid G3s. The K1s in another system sounded ok with the Devialet but it didn't impact on my enjoyment when I returned home..

Any one else running these amps?. What is your configuration? I'm even thinking of selling off my gear at this point. I know it's a bit knee jerk, but the Devialet through tweaked 10 year old Martin Logan's sounded superb. The first demo track was a punk band and I tell you what, I just shook my head from beginning to end. It was almost live sounding, yet hifi clear and with nice body to the sound. It truly rocked. By comparison my system sounds sort of forward doughy and lacking in grip. Everything else that was played sounded great.

I also see that Devialet now has a SAM website where you can vote for your speakers to be included as a model with calibrated DSP. The Vivid K1 is doing well with 63 votes, the B1 only has ten. 100 votes are needed. I am told the benefits of a Devialet with SAM are stunningly good.

I wasn't a fan of Devialet. Now I am wondering how long it will be before I have one.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Relevant link to SAM voting

http://voteforsam.devialet.com/categ...-filter=recent
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM

perhaps it was more to do with the modified Martin Logan speakers than the devialet amps?

They certainly have a completely different sound to moving coil speakers.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Not a lot of Devialet love on this site. A few members owned one at one point, I think myself and CG from Shunyata might be the only ones left.

I'm running them with KEF LS50's and using a Mac Mini through the Geek Out as source.

I personally find it fantastic and just as good or better (for what I'm looking for) as my previous setups. I love the one box solution and the configurability.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 PM

I agree with Turntable. The differences may have a lot more to do with the speakers than the electronics. You should take your Dev 170 to your friend's house and make another assessment.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM

Like I mentioned, not a lot of love here for the Devialet.

I'm sure part of your experience is due to the speakers as ESL's and cones are certainly different but the matching of this setup vs the previous setup is probably more to your liking.

Devialet, like every other piece of gear, just needs to be paired up with synergistic (as in complimentary, not the company) components.

Last edited by adhesiv; 05-21-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 AM

As other members pointed out, I think that you're hearing great ESL speakers rather than the amplifier itself.
I lived with huge full range ESL's for a few years ( Final 1.4 MK2) and love ESL speakers. And yes, they sound very different than electro dynamic ones.

When you listen to a system in an analytic mode, you will find problems and defects in ALL systems. Just spend a week at the place of your friend and the defects will appear. You just have to remember why you chose and built your own system. Listen to the music on an emotional level. Listen to the artistic performance, not to sounds. Not bass, mids and treble and dynamics and noise floor. You might then realize again how much you love your system.

I am not saying that the Devialet all in one unit is not great. I'm suggesting that you may benefit from listening to systems in an other way than the "audiophile" mode.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 AM

Unfortunately I think it'll be an uphill battle trying to get anyone else here to agree that the Devialet is part of what makes that system brilliant. People seem to be missing the point that you heard this same setup before on a lower firmware version with the same but unmodified speakers and you didn't like it then so to say all of this is because of the Stats is a fallacy.

Strange bias, maybe due to the one box solution or low overall cost compared to many systems here.

Anyway, I know of a couple sites where some Devialet owners congregate and discuss that I can share with you over PM if you're interested. I wasn't sure if posting them in public view violates the TOS of the board.

Last edited by adhesiv; 05-21-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:35 AM

I can understand the distrust of Devialet because of the lifestyle form factor, it's an all in one and it uses a switch mode power supply. Only 2 months ago I removed all switch modes in my digital system by adding a $1800 Paul Hynes dual rail power supply. Switch modes are generally considered cheap and nasty and I have been loving my system these past few months without them. The improvements in detail and all the hifi aspects were significant. That is partly why I am so taken aback, it's like my leap forward has evaporated.

I have heard Quad 57s, I've had 2805s on loan at home, live heard 4 pairs of Martin Logan's and I loved the pair of Prodigys in question with a Classe integrated every time I have heard them over the past 8 years. In my opinion the Deviaket and Aurrender was a step backwards when it replaced that systems Mac and Classe. I don't think the owner would agree with me, and that's fine, we all listen for different things. The leap from my last visit to this visit was a big one. Even if it was 90% the crossovers you need to have a good signal path to get the good sound.

I am slowly adjusting back to my system again. It would be interesting to hear a Devialet at home some time. Worst case scenario would be a similar performance at home. Interestingly the sound was great with audiophile, punk, and modern bands like London Grammar and grizzley Bear.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 AM

It's all in the implementation and surrounding system.

My Devialet is dead quiet with no hash from SMPS that I can perceive.

It could probably be better with a linear supply but, are we talking major or minor I don't really know.

Good news is you can enjoy your system as you have been and then get your fix of this fellow's system from time to time with an occasional visit. Best of both worlds and you get to enjoy some time listening to music with a friend.