AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompj View Post
One would think so looking at his sig...

Great stuff!
Yes...I posted a PS in my post. When I wrote that I did so from my iPhone so his signature was not visible
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
where have all the handles gone!? i thought something was amiss from the 1st pic....lol
I always remove the handles. Don't care for aesthetic. And trying to keep low profile installation.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Thanks.

I am using a Steve Blinn rack and Stillpoints (Ultra Mini).

I am pretty happy with the rack and it was infinitely customizable which I needed to fit it on this shelf. I could probably move up the Stillpoints hierarchy. Much to gain there?

I recently purchased an active isolation platform, Herzan TS-150, for my Ref 10. The dealer sent a scientific officer with measuring devices to measure the vibration pattern in my house, my hifi rack and hifi gears. This is to optimize the placement and usage of the active platform.

One of the findings that comes out is the power supply of Ref 10 is causing a lot of vibration and will contaminate the whole rack, affecting the equipment above it. With 4 transformers in the power unit, it is easy to see why it is so shaky.

He suggested I put the power supply on another rack. If it has to be placed together with other equipment, he recommend I put it on top shelf. Most people tend to put the power supply in the bottom but the vibration will get amplified as it travels upward. the opposite is true the other way round.

So even if nothing is changed, swapping the position of the power supply and the main unit of Ref 10 can bring some improvement. Worth a try.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:11 AM

interesting!!!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
I recently purchased an active isolation platform, Herzan TS-150, for my Ref 10. The dealer sent a scientific officer with measuring devices to measure the vibration pattern in my house, my hifi rack and hifi gears. This is to optimize the placement and usage of the active platform. One of the findings that comes out is the power supply of Ref 10 is causing a lot of vibration and will contaminate the whole rack, affecting the equipment above it. With 4 transformers in the power unit, it is easy to see why it is so shaky. He suggested I put the power supply on another rack. If it has to be placed together with other equipment, he recommend I put it on top shelf. Most people tend to put the power supply in the bottom but the vibration will get amplified as it travels upward. the opposite is true the other way round. So even if nothing is changed, swapping the position of the power supply and the main unit of Ref 10 can bring some improvement. Worth a try.
Why not put an isolation platform (Stillpoints or many others) underneath the Ref 10 on same rack?

Last edited by cmalak; 04-28-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Thanks.

I am using a Steve Blinn rack and Stillpoints (Ultra Mini).

I am pretty happy with the rack and it was infinitely customizable which I needed to fit it on this shelf. I could probably move up the Stillpoints hierarchy. Much to gain there?
I tested both Stillpoint minis and ultra ss and i have to say i found a big difference. I'm sure your dealer will lend you a set
Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM

I use Ultra SS under the power supply of my Ref10, and mini's under the control unit. Also use Ultra SS under the REF75.

(And is it always that you can only post a picture of something already on the web? When I go to insert picture it only offers URL, not upload from my computer.)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
I use Ultra SS under the power supply of my Ref10, and mini's under the control unit. Also use Ultra SS under the REF75.

(And is it always that you can only post a picture of something already on the web? When I go to insert picture it only offers URL, not upload from my computer.)
Maybe because you're not a subscriber? I can upload from my computer, but they are little pictures for some reason. It always works best to link to a pic on the web.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:

You can open an account in google+. It is free. After you uploaded the pictures, link them to AA. It is a bit troublesome but this is how I did it.

By the way, I use a lot of Stillpoints in my system as well. They are very useful to sharpen the sound to a point. After that, the sound can be too bright and dry.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:

What's the improve the like with the Ultra SS under the ref75?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)