AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Default ARC Ref 5 SE fuse direction

Can someone with an ARC Ref 5SE tell me which direction
the fuse is oriented? The fuse sits in a twist-off type fuse holder next to the power socket. One end of the fuse has a coil inside, the other end has a little metal block. When you twist off the fuse holder, which end stick out (i.e., away from the fuse holder) the coil end or the block end?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM

I don't believe it matters. Fuses are non directional and are designed to blow when the current that flows through them exceeds the published rating.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 PM

Well the fuse has two different sides, I just wanted to put it in the same direction as ARC did. Any Ref 5 SE owners?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Fuse direction doesn't matter. It's passing 60 Hz AC which reverses direction 60 times per second (or 50 times per second in other parts of the world that use 50 Hz AC). In other words AC does not have a preferred direction.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Can someone with an ARC Ref 5SE tell me which direction
the fuse is oriented? The fuse sits in a twist-off type fuse holder next to the power socket. One end of the fuse has a coil inside, the other end has a little metal block. When you twist off the fuse holder, which end stick out (i.e., away from the fuse holder) the coil end or the block end?
Adam.......A fuse will have electrical continuity no matter which direction it is installed. What I have discovered using Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses in my amps and preamps is they have a slightly different sonic signature depending on which way they are inserted. I tried using the fuses in both directions and settled on one specific direction as sounding the best.

There will be those that believe fuse direction impacting sound is malarkey and were I the only one to experience a sonic difference perhaps I might question my actions but many other users of the Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses have come to the same conclusion with their sound systems. I don't believe we are all experiencing the same placebo effect. Whether this sonic difference can be duplicated with the fuse ARC uses, I don't know but I would suggest you try inserting it in both directions and spend some time listening. Your ears may lead you in making the correct decision.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Adam.......A fuse will have electrical continuity no matter which direction it is installed. What I have discovered using Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses in my amps and preamps is they have a slightly different sonic signature depending on which way they are inserted. I tried using the fuses in both directions and settled on one specific direction as sounding the best.

There will be those that believe fuse direction impacting sound is malarkey and were I the only one to experience a sonic difference perhaps I might question my actions but many other users of the Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses have come to the same conclusion with their sound systems. I don't believe we are all experiencing the same placebo effect. Whether this sonic difference can be duplicated with the fuse ARC uses, I don't know but I would suggest you try inserting it in both directions and spend some time listening. Your ears may lead you in making the correct decision.
Dan with the voice of reason! I'm an EE who should believe that the direction of an AC fuse doesn't matter, but your suggestion to listen both ways makes the most sense to me. Almost nothing in high end audio is logical, and often what we expect based upon measurements contradicts our experiences. Our ears are the ultimate judge and we need to trust them (and Dan's advice!)
Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 PM
George

I am sure it does make a difference. So often my logical side has said it couldn't, but it did. I just would have prefered not to know there is yet one more little thing I have to obsess about. I have spent in inordinate amount of my life obsessing about interconnects, cable lifters, tube dampeners... etc. Thanks a lot! ... So where do you get these fusses? and I suppose they cost a few hundred each. Damn.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Still hoping for an answer to my question. For the Ref. 5 SE, if you twist out the fuse holder, which end of the fuse do you see sticking out, the coil or block end? Anyone ?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 PM
George

I'll have a look when I get home.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 07-03-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Anyone?