AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 PM

^^ Isn't REF CD7 well known for it's smooth and slightly soft/darker tone? Exactly as you said about not sounding "digital" at all. Where as REF CD8 and obviously REF CD9 are a different breed.. The choice is there to be made according to each personal preference, many people seem to be very happy with REF CD8 (REF CD9) as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 AM

Default Thanks for the comment

Thanks MPS. That explains a lot. I have never heard the CD8. I have ten days or so to audition the 9 so perhaps my opinion will change. As it is, it does a lot of things better than the 7mod but . . . well we will see. The next thing I want to try is the Ref 5SE.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 AM

You should wait for the break-in maybe even few hundred hours until sound quality stabilizes. I have no opinion which is better CD7/CD8/CD9, I'm only referring to people's comments about their equipment and there seems to be quite clear difference in voicing of the CD7 and CD8/9 the later being more brighter sounding, possibly more neutral balance than CD7 so if you prefer the sound of CD7 you might not get the same from newer models.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 AM

Default CD9 again

Well, the dealer tells me it is his demo and has about 300 hours on it. At any rate after four or five days I will put my CD7 Mod back in the rack and then I will really know.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 04:52 AM

Welcome Harold!

Please continue to share your experience as the CD9 breaks in.

Also, since you are about to try the Ref 5SE, I can tell you it is a very nice piece.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM

I went from the CD7 to the CD7 as transport output to the DAC8
and now the CD9. Each was a significant improvement to my ears.
I find the CD9 more musical, less aggressive than the DAC8. The CD7 was smooth but compared to the CD9 I felt it lacked punch. I think the CD9 is excellent both as a redbook player and as a DAC. In redbook mode it really gives my high-res files a stiff challenge
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Ive made more toen 600 hrs, now it sound natural and very musical, around 300 hrs voices were sharp. Compared with the dcs puccini with a grimm click is sound more natural with a bigger stage. I'm in love with my cd9.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM

harold...looking forward to your impressions. As you can see from my signature I still have the Ref 3, Ref 110, and Ref CD7 (almost identical to your older system before you switched in the Ref 150s for your VS 115s). I am most interested in your thoughts on the differences between the Ref 3 and Ref 5SE when you try it and the VS115 and the Ref 150 as those two are likely going to be the first things I upgrade before my digital front end which I really like (Ref CD7 is very natural sounding to me). Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 PM

First of all my thanks to the comments so far. I also must apologize for an error when I posted my system. My previous amp was the Reference 110 which I replaced with the Ref 150. My glowing impressions of the latter in my original post. Any further comments on the Ref 150 might not belong on this thread. Will rely on other members judgment on this.

My evaluation of the CD9 so far matches the comments posted. In my system the CD9 IS more dynamic, has better sound staging, more bass ( although a bit tubby which the “Q” adjustment on the Quatros may tone down), and much more punch. My only objection is a pronounced hardness and “grain” which I notice particularly on the high-end. I think I also mentioned in my original post that the dealer indicated that the CD9 had about 300 hours on it. I can keep it for a week or so but not much longer before I make my decision whether to go back to the CD7 Mod. Judging from the comments from airess I’m glad I didn’t try the CD8. Markh mentions that he has more than 600 hours on his and “now” it sounds natural and that at 300 hours the voices were “sharp.” That’s exactly what I am experiencing. Unfortunately I won’t have the opportunity of keeping it that long, so by the end of test the unit should have about another hundred hours of so.

I am planning on auditioning the Reference 5SE. I wonder if that would smooth out the highs even though the unit has 300 hours or so. I may be able to bring in that unit while still auditioning the CD9. As an aside, I find that the filter and up-sampling on Redbook indeed does change the sound but, to my ears, neither for better or worse.

Thanks again guys, I would really value any additional comments.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 PM

Default CD9 progress report

Whether the CD9 is being broken in or simply my ears, I am beginning to warm up to it a little. I still find the bass a little tubby (didn't mean tubie (sic?)). My dealer recommends that I leave it on constantly for awhile (other components off of course) and listen a couple more days, then plug the 7mod back in and see what I think. I must say that what the 9 does is impressive. Strings are gutsier (sic?) and the bass is somewhat more defined. The Reference 150 puts out so much bass that perhaps that was my original objection.

More later.