AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Right. With the front port. Suitable for different size rooms. We're talking about the same thing.
Agreed.

I was offered that option but chose the narrower front baffle.
I did not know it was going to come front ported but I trust that was done as one of the ongoing improvements -
These things are all handmade and don't require production lines so I guess variations do occur.
I can't compare the sounds but they sound great - and similar to the big latour in my room - so I am pleased.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post

I'm sorry to be rude, or seemingly pushy, however we have gotten off track again, w/ the ports, as informative as those points that everyone made are.....

As a Shindo aficionado, owner, and certainly an amateur in Shindo history,
I would VERY much like to understand what is "wrong" with the drivers, and also how they've been "modified"-

I believe we are all, always trying to learn more about our hobby-

David
Actually David,the sound of the petites in their variations was the point of Jerome's post - that's what he asked us.

Then it got off track in an unfortunate way.
I don't know the answer to your question. Why don't you email or call Matt and ask him? Let us know.

Back to Jerome...

Last edited by Freestone; 01-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jérôme W View Post
Hello Shindo friends,

Just wanted to know how many owners of those we have here.
What are their sound signature ? Why do you love them ? Which amp do you use ?
What is the minimum surface for the room to receive them ? ( I heard that Shindo speakers have a big sound and for smaller rooms the Lafite may be better suited....)
Last but not least, can someone tell me their list price ?
I'm considering them before jumping on the bigger ones with field coil.....

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
I believe there are 3 of us on here, just 2 with alnico. Steve's the lucky one with the field coil.
Those that have them tend to be using shindo amps as the speakers were the last piece. Mine are gm70. Steve's too
My 14x19 room works well with them. Even the bigger latours would sound great in it - better - but would prefer more size or rather would sound even better with more size. How much room to blend the horn and woofer?.
I think all of us that have them of course would prefer their bigger brother but either cost or room size precludes us.

Last edited by Freestone; 01-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
I can't compare the sounds but they sound great - and similar to the big latour in my room - so I am pleased.
Freestone, I'm curious if you could speak a bit more on how your PLs compare with the Latours. I've heard the Latours on a few occasions, and have always been impressed with them, but have yet to hear their little brothers (no Shindo dealers seem to carry them, from what I've seen). i've been mulling the idea of getting some Shindo speakers, and cost and room size seem to point to one of the PL variants, so certainly any comparative info from someone who has heard both would certainly be very helpful.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_NYC View Post
Freestone, I'm curious if you could speak a bit more on how your PLs compare with the Latours. I've heard the Latours on a few occasions, and have always been impressed with them, but have yet to hear their little brothers (no Shindo dealers seem to carry them, from what I've seen). i've been mulling the idea of getting some Shindo speakers, and cost and room size seem to point to one of the PL variants, so certainly any comparative info from someone who has heard both would certainly be very helpful.
Come out and hear them.

They clearly are related but its hard to really compare as the rooms are so different. The midrange magic is present in both, and they are both just beautiful to hear. They honestly sound so great. But I love the scale of the bigger latours - and they have even more effortlessness to me. True for all the speaker companies as its physics, size matters.

If my wife would allow, I would have owned from day 1 the big latours. And as i have said before I will get field coils because I understand they have that little bit extra. Same reason I went from the Masseto to Giscours. If you really suffer from upgrading, honestly, you want their ultimate - which field coil depending on your room.

For my office system -at a different price point - I thought about the used petites on agon but will wait to hear the o/98 or re listen to the Tannoy.

For the home system it's just a question of field coil petites or convincing my wife I can have the big latours. No disrespect to the alnico petites. But this hobby can be hard when you know Shindo's ultimate interpretation is available...everything else is a compromise!

Last edited by Freestone; 01-22-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post

Come out and hear them.

They clearly are related but its hard to really compare as the rooms are so different. The midrange magic is present in both, and they are both just beautiful to hear. They honestly sound so great. But I love the scale of the bigger latours - and they have even more effortlessness to me. True for all the speaker companies as its physics, size matters.

If my wife would allow, I would have owned from day 1 the big latours. And as i have said before I will get field coils because I understand they have that little bit extra. Same reason I went from the Masseto to Giscours. If you really suffer from upgrading, honestly, you want their ultimate - which field coil depending on your room.

For my office system -at a different price point - I thought about the used petites on agon but will wait to hear the o/98 or re listen to the Tannoy.

For the home system it's just a question of field coil petites or convincing my wife I can have the big latours. No disrespect to the alnico petites. But this hobby can be hard when you know Shindo's ultimate interpretation is available...everything else is a compromise!
Sounds like someone is getting a Petrus one day
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post

Sounds like someone is getting a Petrus one day
I fear you may actually be right...

Last edited by Freestone; 01-22-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM

If I was not so in love with my Wilsons ( I finally decided not to change anymore things that I like ! ), I would JUMP on these Petite Latour because Damian is a very reliable, and a honest person.

Those qualities are very rare.
I'm very surprised to see that his Petite Latour are still in this FS thread.
They are sold by a gentleman, are in great shape, offered at a great price and Damian will make custom boxes for them.

What 's more to ask ??