AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I would start by calling your dealer. But other than that, I would remove the trigger wire and make sure the tubes are all installed correctly and seated well. Try using the system without the trigger wire.
Hey Marc, it is supposed to blow fuses if you cycle the power without waiting a few minutes. There is nothing wrong with my system. My post was for information purpose only.

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344
Old 03-25-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Hey Marc, it is supposed to blow fuses if you cycle the power without waiting a few minutes. There is nothing wrong with my system. My post was for information purpose only.
Then my situation was different, as the fuses blow always on fresh starts
Old 03-25-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
... I have nothing to complain against the Ref 5SE (except maybe the plastic cover top, as I don't like how it bends with the heat) ...
I think of the plastic top as the canary in the goldmine. If you have sufficient ventilation, the top will not deform. If you must compromise ventilation, ARC will sell you a metal top to use instead.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
Then my situation was different, as the fuses blow always on fresh starts
I just don't get any of this. I've never blown a fuse in years of turning on and off arc gear, sometimes without waiting very long between states. I also think it's bizarre in the OP it says there's a reverse trigger by turning the amp off first ? But I admit that I never tried that.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I think of the plastic top as the canary in the goldmine. If you have sufficient ventilation, the top will not deform. If you must compromise ventilation, ARC will sell you a metal top to use instead.
Correct. I've never had one deform, but I've seen them, so it must happen in some tight spaces.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I just don't get any of this. I've never blown a fuse in years of turning on and off arc gear, sometimes without waiting very long between states. I also think it's bizarre in the OP it says there's a reverse trigger by turning the amp off first ? But I admit that I never tried that.
The manual says wait 5 minutes. Get a GS150 and try it. I didn't say there is a reverse trigger - it was just a speculation. But today I found out it is the thermal cut out on Ref.6 shutting down the system. I will have to give more clearance around the ref. 6.

By the way nobody is knocking Audio Research - no need to go defensive. Just sharing information.

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344

Last edited by Banter; 03-25-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
The manual says wait 5 minutes. Get a GS150 and try it. I didn't say there is a reverse trigger - it was just a speculation. But today I found out it is the thermal cut out on Ref.6 shutting down the system. I will have to give more clearance around the ref. 6.

By the way nobody is knocking Audio Research - no need to go defensive. Just sharing information.

That doesn't look like too little space... Seems adequate. Anyway I know that you aren't bashing arc.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That doesn't look like too little space... Seems adequate. Anyway I know that you aren't bashing arc.
It's hard to judge from the photo but it looks minimal to me; you really want a good 5" - 6" above tube gear for proper cooling.

A good way to check is after a listening session, feel the bottom of the shelf above; if it's toasty, you likely need more ventilation space.

I'm an outlier, I know, but I gave my Ref Phono 2 SE 9" above and it's very appreciative of it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 PM

From what I see in the photos, I do not believe the amp has sufficient ventilation. It has 8 KT150 tubes after all AND the preamp is right above it where it also has the bare minimum of space above it. I think you are cooking the preamp and most likely the amp as well IMHO.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdland View Post
From what I see in the photos, I do not believe the amp has sufficient ventilation. It has 8 KT150 tubes after all AND the preamp is right above it where it also has the bare minimum of space above it. I think you are cooking the preamp and most likely the amp as well IMHO.
Wow! Nice feedback! Much appreciated!

PMC Fact 12