AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Moving along with my listening room. Just took delivery of....

....my listening chair haha. The gear is already sitting on a Solidsteel HS-3 rack. I would love to get some of Solidsteel's footers so I can spike my speakers w/o damaging the floor.

Next is new windows and then acoustic curtains and lastly room treatments.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 PM

Probably stupid question to ask in a Preamp thread, but wouldn’t it be better to just have my QX-5 Twenty connected directly to my VX-5 Twenty rather than adding a Preamp in the chain. I have no other components, as I stream on my QX-5 via Roon.

The less components in the chain the better the sound reproduction is, no? Plus, you would think Charlie has done a good job with output stage on QX-5 and digital volume control.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 AM
Industry Affiliation - Ayre CEO

Our (and Charley's) preference was always to use an analog preamp vs. having the volume attenuated in the digital realm. We handle the digital attenuation a bit different than most that reduces the limitation of digital attenuation, but even then there are advantages with analog volume controls, especially at the lower levels where Ayre gear particularly shines. That's the reason even our new products with incorporated DACs, such as the EX-8, still uses an analog volume control.

Of course, with all things, if you can try and listen to it both ways. I know what we like, but this is not our system, it's yours. If you like the direct connection, you'll save money on components and cables and you're happy. If you like the analog volume control, you can be happy knowing you did what you think sounds the best. Either way, when you're happy and listening to music, we're happy.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 PM

I did this test and QX-5 absolutely sounded better with the KX-5 in the chain. The digital pre sounded good but KX-5 was a massive improvement.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Berry View Post
Our (and Charley's) preference was always to use an analog preamp vs. having the volume attenuated in the digital realm. We handle the digital attenuation a bit different than most that reduces the limitation of digital attenuation, but even then there are advantages with analog volume controls, especially at the lower levels where Ayre gear particularly shines. That's the reason even our new products with incorporated DACs, such as the EX-8, still uses an analog volume control.

Of course, with all things, if you can try and listen to it both ways. I know what we like, but this is not our system, it's yours. If you like the direct connection, you'll save money on components and cables and you're happy. If you like the analog volume control, you can be happy knowing you did what you think sounds the best. Either way, when you're happy and listening to music, we're happy.
Totally get it. Thanks for chiming in.

The "problem" is there is no way for me to find out without actually purchasing the KX-5 Twenty :-)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Same with me better with kx5-20
Old 08-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Good morning! Greg Gale began this thread and I’m wondering if after all this time he still feels the same way about his upgrade to the Kx5-20? I’m in the same position, have a k5xeMp and am considering upgrading to the the new 20, but the price of admission is a little high for me, have never paid so much for an audio component. And, I’m posting here because I’d like to hear from anyone that has made the switch, would like to hear how you feel about it!

Thanks,

John
Old 08-26-2018, 02:16 PM

Default no regrets

I made the switch and have no regrets. It was substantial money but I had a K-5xemp and KX-5, not twenty, in my system to compare and I felt the improved SQ was there, do not know about worth the difference. Since then I have found the greater number of inputs and outputs to be a benefit, particularily the provision for recording, ie digitizing vinyl.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Guys, there are many reasons from impedances to dynamics lost etc...when using digital. Whenever I read or hear of folks running direct digital, I realize that they aren't truly listening or may not know what they are listening to.

Even a good preamp is better than direct. Doesn't have to be the best pre.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Dr. J: Moved from K-5xeMP to KX-5 Twenty a little over a year ago and not a single ounce of regret.