AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Thank you Frank. That helps me understand the improvement you hear with Shunyata Triton/Typhon compared to the Audience. Really appreciate you describing that. That said, still very tempting to purchase your Audience w/ power cord at that price.

Oh and BTW, +1 on your system… very impressive. I bet it sounds amazing.
When you consider the cost of Frank's Shunyata power conditioning system, which is a remarkably great system by the way, I would expect it to sound significantly better than the Audience aR6-TSS.

1 Triton & 3 Typhons
6 Anaconda Zitron PCs
3 Anaconda umbilicals

Best,
Ken
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
When you consider the cost of Frank's Shunyata power conditioning system, which is a remarkably great system by the way, I would expect it to sound significantly better than the Audience aR6-TSS.

1 Triton & 3 Typhons
6 Anaconda Zitron PCs
3 Anaconda umbilicals

Best,
Ken
That was the point I was trying to make. Cost isn't always the determining factor but in this case it's my opinion that you get significantly more performance for your money. Someone else might think differently and prefer the Audience plus an extra $7500 in their pocket.

By the way, comments and comparison between the Audience and Shunyata was only regarding the Triton with Typhon for the front end. The other 2 Typhons came later for the amps. Those additions took the system to another level all together and certainly wouldn't be a reasonable comparison to make with just a single Audience unit feeding the front end.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
That was the point I was trying to make. Cost isn't always the determining factor but in this case it's my opinion that you get significantly more performance for your money. Someone else might think differently and prefer the Audience plus an extra $7500 in their pocket.

By the way, comments and comparison between the Audience and Shunyata was only regarding the Triton with Typhon for the front end. The other 2 Typhons came later for the amps. Those additions took the system to another level all together and certainly wouldn't be a reasonable comparison to make with just a single Audience unit feeding the front end.
Frank,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ken
Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Would it be a more fair comparison to compare just the Triton (no Typhon) with (1) Anaconda PC compared to the Audience AR6-TSS with AU24 PC. I personally had a budget of about ~$5k in mine when considering power conditioning for my system.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Would it be a more fair comparison to compare just the Triton (no Typhon) with (1) Anaconda PC compared to the Audience AR6-TSS with AU24 PC. I personally had a budget of about ~$5k in mine when considering power conditioning for my system.
Glenn,

Sounds like a fair comparison to me, dollar for dollar. I think we're on the same page, that is also my budget for power conditioning. I'd rather put the rest towards upgraded cables.

Ken
Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I still prefer a single Triton to the Audience but the gap is much narrower. Some might even prefer the Audience, all a matter of taste. A bit weightier presentation but the rest of the parameters I mentioned previously are very close. I had to go back and forth a couple of times to make my decision when it was just one on one. All auditions were done using a Anaconda Zitron so you're talking another $3k or so in addition to the cost of the Triton. One on one they're pretty close in price. I believe the list on the aR6-TSS with the Au24 upgraded cord is around $7500, not positive at this point, it might have gone up. You don't want to get a $6000 conditioner and not get the better cord.

Still, with the Triton you have the option of a significant upgrade by adding a Typhon at a later date. You obviously don't have that option with the aR6-TSS.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
Still, with the Triton you have the option of a significant upgrade by adding a Typhon at a later date. You obviously don't have that option with the aR6-TSS.
It would seem one could add a Typhon to any system. Just plug it into the unused outlet that the Audience is plugged into????

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
It would seem one could add a Typhon to any system. Just plug it into the unused outlet that the Audience is plugged into????
You could but I'm not so sure how they would work together. Two totally different conditioning technologies. The Typhon is basically an extension of the Triton, same NICs inside.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuxa View Post
The Audience appear to be better built than the Shunyata. It might be time to move away from the Hydras into these.
Hi Xuxa,

I agree with you. I'm leaning towards the Audience aR6-TSS with AU-24SE power cord. I like the Audience build quality. They are hand built and use very high quality components. They stand behind their product with a 10-year warranty and they are fully upgradeable. I want this to be the first and last power conditioner I ever purchase. I also like that each outlet is individually filtered and isolated, most power conditioners' duplex outlets are not. Lastly, it uses non-MOV surge protection with a magnetic breaker, so it will not degrade over time.

All the best,
Ken
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Xuxa,

I agree with you. I'm leaning towards the Audience aR6-TSS with AU-24SE power cord. I like the Audience build quality. They are hand built and use very high quality components. They stand behind their product with a 10-year warranty and they are fully upgradeable. I want this to be the first and last power conditioner I ever purchase. I also like that each outlet is individually filtered and isolated, most power conditioners' duplex outlets are not. Lastly, it uses non-MOV surge protection with a magnetic breaker, so it will not degrade over time.

All the best,
Ken
Hi Ken....I also like these specs. 10 year warranty is a big plus. I would like to do side by side with Talos which the Audience would potentially replace. I don't use any current generation Shunyata cable. We don't like it. Do prefer the footprint of the Talos & as a power distributor it is doing its job, however, we have more effective inline filtering upstream at the component level.

Last edited by Xuxa; 02-04-2014 at 08:47 PM.