AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-29-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
I do not rip any CD's. I copy the digital file (AIFF-file) from a CD and use it that way. Ripping has always the risk of losing quality if not done right (bad app, wrong settings, etc.). And copying is much quicker than ripping... In your case...
Same thing.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Semi-audiophile

I use iTunes to convert tracks on my CDs to AIFF. They sound better when I then burn them to CD, actually. The AIFFs are not compressed, and I figure that's why.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Same thing.
(regarding direct AIFF CD copy instead of CD rip)

But the CD itself is not truly AIFF format, correct? Isn't this just another type of rip? Have not tried this.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 12-10-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
(regarding direct AIFF CD copy instead of CD rip)

Curious - how do you manage the metadata in this case?
I was making the point that copying a digital file is ripping. I have no experience with the AIFF format or, indeed, most things Apple (aside from my phone).

All the files I rip or download (FLAC, DSF) have the metadata imbedded in them although they usually require some additional attention.

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 12-10-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:32 PM

Correct. Redbook CD audio format is uncompressed signed 16 bit linear PCM at a 44.1 kHz sample rate.

AIFF is uncompressed linear PCM with extensive metadata included in the container. It is not limited to 16/44.1.

AIFF is essentially .wav with better metadata.

I use AIFF for all my downloads as the audio data is not manipulated before it is stored. No flac or other encoders in the chain. Not that that is really an issue, ‘cause it’s not. But with storage cheaper than water, why not store the original recovered data off the cd?
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Aiff

Tom, Kal - thanks - as I suspected. Good argument for AIFF rips as memory is truly cheap. I use m4a (Apple Lossless) as it is now open source and has some efficiency advantages compared to FLAC.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 12-11-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Semi-audiophile

I’m a definite fan of AIFF; in fact, with the files I have ripped I’ve burned customized playlists for myself and for others as gifts. Fun, but a fair amount of work when I consider the auditioning and sequencing of tracks for a given CD.

I still have a 4TB external HD as yet not set up, intended to replace the 140GB one used now; it was purchased in 2016, and for all I know is defective! Setting up the thing (assuming it does work) would encourage ripping more of my CD collection. All I need is to avoid EM impulses and be sure I’m grounded when handling it. Static is the enemy 🙂.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Default Music Collection

I am using AIFF and FLAC. I’ll check to see if I have any titles in both formats so I can compare.

I have finished my NAS setup - four 8TB drives in a Raid 6 configuration that will support two drive failures.

This will hold me for awhile but if I start to store video all bets are off!
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Now add in collections and the size of them.

How big is to big, and is it really needed?

Diving head first back into vinyl since the mid 80’s my record collection is now plus or minus 60 albums with some must have collector items and mainly sourced with analog being the native format.

But my listening habits keep me playing mainly the same recordings I still get a rush from.

It will take years to accumulate multiples of 100, let alone listen to them all. I play about 12-15 hours a week of albums, and maybe 3-5 of digital.

Am I alone in this practice or are others the same and why?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:09 PM

I’ll go deep on an artist or a genre and accumulate a lot of CD’s and/or LP’s. I might not listen to them for years, then pick them up again.

Plus my tastes are changing and I am really liking stuff I missed the first time around - like the Stones.

I still have a small set of ‘go to’ vinyl and to a lesser extent digital to break out when I want to listen to a sure thing.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v