AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I read that the et250s is brighter than the Pr350 so that may be the ticket for a cJ tube preamp.
I better start saving my pennies.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I read that the et250s is brighter than the Pr350 so that may be the ticket for a cJ tube preamp.
I would have thought the opposite just because the addition of the tubes. That's good to know.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid

I would have thought the opposite just because the addition of the tubes. That's good to know.
My VAC 300.1a tube amp has more air and upper frequency energy than my Pr350. I think they voiced the 350 1-2 clicks on the warm side.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
My VAC 300.1a tube amp has more air and upper frequency energy than my Pr350. I think they voiced the 350 1-2 clicks on the warm side.
Thanks Darrin. I could even go for 1 or 2 clicks warmer but my choice of preamp, I think, will take care of that. Meaning GAT !!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid

Thanks Darrin. I could even go for 1 or 2 clicks warmer but my choice of preamp, I think, will take care of that. Meaning GAT !!!
Keep $400 at the ready for the EAT 6922....super duper special in the GAT!

image-386009588.jpg

Last edited by dpod4; 04-01-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 PM

So last night I listened to the P18LS for a good, long time. Here is one virtue of this pre-amp: walking back into the room...where I've had in "running-in" and staying warm for days...I noticed how detailed and dynamic it sounded, even at its low, run-in volume.

When I'm stacking gear up against each other...I like to listen casually, for a good, long time. Really get a general sense of a what a piece is about...with whatever I happen to be listening to at the time, for pleasure. However, when it comes time to "analyze"...I pick a very small set of titles, really pay attention to some of the nuances; try to keep its impression in my memory, and quickly switch units and listen to the same small set all over again.

I did this last night...P18LS out, ET-2 back in, and I learned something I think. The first thing that struck me was how much more fleshed-out the sound was with the ET-2; 3-dimension-ality I think we call that in the audiophile game...lol. But here's what I think I learned; that "fatter" sound...which I find very pleasing...can make the highs seem less extended. The sound is rounder, and fuller...so it doesn't appear as sharp, and therefore not as detailed or bright.

But if you're really listening...as I was last night...you lose nothing. It was pretty convincing the ET-2 is for me. The P18LS is certainly not a bad unit; and it is, IMO, a low-listening lovers dream. By contrast, the ET-2 needed some goosing to get the same punch; but again, the sound was rounder and fuller, when it did get there.

I futz with gear a lot; well, in all fairness, a lot less now than in the past. I've taken some heat, and I don't mind...because I know people in the hobby are passionate, and opinions are usually welcome. But I never saw the downside. I guess I'm the kind that can't judge in a vacuum. Even kit that strikes me as good, after a while...it just becomes the norm. I start to wonder and wander; so I get something else to put its a** to the test...lol. I either walk away bettered, or with the affirmation that I was just fine to start with. Either way, I embrace the result...and as is the case in this audition...sometimes learn something about the nature of sound in the process.

Now...where's there an ET-250s to be had!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
So last night I listened to the P18LS for a good, long time. Here is one virtue of this pre-amp: walking back into the room...where I've had in "running-in" and staying warm for days...I noticed how detailed and dynamic it sounded, even at its low, run-in volume.

When I'm stacking gear up against each other...I like to listen casually, for a good, long time. Really get a general sense of a what a piece is about...with whatever I happen to be listening to at the time, for pleasure. However, when it comes time to "analyze"...I pick a very small set of titles, really pay attention to some of the nuances; try to keep its impression in my memory, and quickly switch units and listen to the same small set all over again.

I did this last night...P18LS out, ET-2 back in, and I learned something I think. The first thing that struck me was how much more fleshed-out the sound was with the ET-2; 3-dimension-ality I think we call that in the audiophile game...lol. But here's what I think I learned; that "fatter" sound...which I find very pleasing...can make the highs seem less extended. The sound is rounder, and fuller...so it doesn't appear as sharp, and therefore not as detailed or bright.

But if you're really listening...as I was last night...you lose nothing. It was pretty convincing the ET-2 is for me. The P18LS is certainly not a bad unit; and it is, IMO, a low-listening lovers dream. By contrast, the ET-2 needed some goosing to get the same punch; but again, the sound was rounder and fuller, when it did get there.

I futz with gear a lot; well, in all fairness, a lot less now than in the past. I've taken some heat, and I don't mind...because I know people in the hobby are passionate, and opinions are usually welcome. But I never saw the downside. I guess I'm the kind that can't judge in a vacuum. Even kit that strikes me as good, after a while...it just becomes the norm. I start to wonder and wander; so I get something else to put its a** to the test...lol. I either walk away bettered, or with the affirmation that I was just fine to start with. Either way, I embrace the result...and as is the case in this audition...sometimes learn something about the nature of sound in the process.

Now...where's there an ET-250s to be had!
I thought you were going in the Naim direction....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I thought you were going in the Naim direction....
Nah; I might try a little 5i...for less than $1k used...to see what all the fuss is about. But it would have to really be something special, to dislodge me from my current separates.

Last edited by CDLehner; 04-02-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 AM

Or you could do what i do Naim DAC - CT5 - CA200

That gives you a Naimee CJ sound, or is that a Cee-Jay-Nai sound.