AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

I have virtually no interest in this camera. Given the Sony sensor, I am confident the image quality is superb, but I don't think the reasons for shooting full-frame are anywhere near as compelling as they were five years ago. Sensors and glass for APS-C cameras have improved MARKEDLY over that time, and full-frame just means bigger, heavier lenses for the same focal length or lens speed.

This camera interests me about as much as my Sony RX100, which I am planning on selling.

The new Olympus E-M1, however, is another matter entirely. That is a camera that is literally buillt like a Canon 1D-series, has phase contrast autofocus, a feature many pros will migrate to because, the most important thing with any camera SYSTEM is the glass that is available for it, and they can use the absolutely superb Oly 4/3 glass for it as well as the M4/3s glass, and there's a very large range of both Olympus and Panasonic lenses available for it that are simply superb. What plagued the Sony NEX series, was there was just not very much in the way of serious glass for it, and for the new full-frame sensor, this means yet another entirely new lens system/mount that needs to be developed.

Also, Ming Thein did a review of the A7R and said that the shutter is so loud and in some causes actually moves the camera body during actuation that for some shooting situations you will need to mount the camera on the tripod not to get shutter-actuation motion blur induced on it's high-resolution sensor.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-17-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM

Hi Puma cat,

Perfect camera doesn't exist
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM

sensor is from D800
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM

Camera reviewer Ken Rockwell preferred the 24MP A7 over the 36MP A7R, but compared to other cameras felt even his A7 faired poorly:

In his A7 review, he said:

Forget the tweakers' A7r. It has poorer autofocus and its bloated files clog professional workflow. The 24MP of the A7 is more than enough for anything; I just sold a 4 MP image to McDonalds, for instance. They cropped it — for use on a billboard!

Then in December 2013, he then did a comparo between his A7 against a Canon 5D Mark III and a Leica M240 and his conclusion was:

The Sony is a toy from one of the world's leaders in video and audio gear. It's fun to put different lenses on it, but it can't compete with real cameras from Nikon and Canon.

There are test images from all 3 cameras in the review; it seems the Sony has severe internal sensor reflections in low light that is clearly visible in cropped photos...

This guy doesn't mince words in his reviews...
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 PM

There are also many positive reviews to find, where picture quality is exceeding resolution, and showing more detail then for instance D800.

But reviews are not why I bought the camera, I have tried the camera myself, and for my means it it works perfect.

So many opinions now on other peoples reviews, without even trying the camera themselves. For me useless comments.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 AM

I have the A7r, Nikon D800e, Canon D1x and 5 DMIII, and the Fuji X-PRO1... I love the new A7r... More than the other cameras? In some areas yes in others no. It all comes down to a set of tools that a photographer uses based on their needs. My needs change all the time. Sometimes I want a light travel camera, sometime fast focus on moving objects, then a different camera for landscapes. This weekend I am in Harbin China where the temperature will hit close to 30 degrees F bellow 0 at night. Did I bring my Sony... Not this time. This is 1Dx territory and Nikon 800e during the day.

The picture quality on the A7r is incredible... Close to the D800e's quality.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Hi Puma cat,

Perfect camera doesn't exist
Granted. I was just stating that for my personal requirements, this camera holds no interest. The lack of a lens system of significance is the biggest shortcoming at the present time from my personal perspective.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
sensor is from D800
My bad; I was thinking of the Nikon Df....too many new cameras of late.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
Camera reviewer Ken Rockwell preferred the 24MP A7 over the 36MP A7R, but compared to other cameras felt even his A7 faired poorly:

In his A7 review, he said:

Forget the tweakers' A7r. It has poorer autofocus and its bloated files clog professional workflow. The 24MP of the A7 is more than enough for anything; I just sold a 4 MP image to McDonalds, for instance. They cropped it — for use on a billboard!

Then in December 2013, he then did a comparo between his A7 against a Canon 5D Mark III and a Leica M240 and his conclusion was:

The Sony is a toy from one of the world's leaders in video and audio gear. It's fun to put different lenses on it, but it can't compete with real cameras from Nikon and Canon.

There are test images from all 3 cameras in the review; it seems the Sony has severe internal sensor reflections in low light that is clearly visible in cropped photos...

This guy doesn't mince words in his reviews...
No, he does not. I'm curious as to how Thom Hogan will find it, also.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper View Post
I have the A7r, Nikon D800e, Canon D1x and 5 DMIII, and the Fuji X-PRO1... I love the new A7r... More than the other cameras? In some areas yes in others no. It all comes down to a set of tools that a photographer uses based on their needs. My needs change all the time. Sometimes I want a light travel camera, sometime fast focus on moving objects, then a different camera for landscapes. This weekend I am in Harbin China where the temperature will hit close to 30 degrees F bellow 0 at night. Did I bring my Sony... Not this time. This is 1Dx territory and Nikon 800e during the day.

The picture quality on the A7r is incredible... Close to the D800e's quality.
Of that, I have no doubt. it was incredible on the Sony RX1, too, which has almost been made obsolete by the A7R.