Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

View Poll Results: Which Signature Finish Do You Prefer
Bordeaux 15 41.67%
Mocha 16 44.44%
What's A Dynaudio? 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

And, in the actual listening room (lest you think I intend to keep them in the Guest Bedroom); presented...for your pleasure...in both of my contrasting photography styles. You get both under-lit, dark and gloomy...and, over-exposed, Nuclear-Winter style.

And yes...I really do need to get those "extra" amps the hell out of my room!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Looks like the amp on top of the rack is shy
Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Looks like the amp on top of the rack is shy
Funny as hell Joe! The "extra" C-J mf-2500a; with it's ass toward you, for picture-taking purposes.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Funny as hell Joe! The "extra" C-J mf-2500a; with it's ass toward you, for picture-taking purposes.
Ha!

I love your setup. Maybe I should have saved the money and just bought the Dyns

Seriously, enjoy the C1 Sigs. I've got to hear a pair.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
And, in the actual listening room (lest you think I intend to keep them in the Guest Bedroom); presented...for your pleasure...in both of my contrasting photography styles. You get both under-lit, dark and gloomy...and, over-exposed, Nuclear-Winter style.

And yes...I really do need to get those "extra" amps the hell out of my room!
CD,
The speakers look pretty close together, how far apart are they?

How far are they from the rear wall? Looks like the right speaker is closer to the rear wall than the left speaker?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
CD,
The speakers look pretty close together, how far apart are they?

How far are they from the rear wall? Looks like the right speaker is closer to the rear wall than the left speaker?
Stephen, thanks for your comments. I'd love to have them further apart, but the room is pretty small. Not even quite 11' wide (4th bedroom); so right now they're about 6' apart.

Before you start doing the math, and suggest I could go more like 8', and still get 1.5' out from each side-wall...the door is on the wall of my listening side; so I have that challenge, and still being able to sit equidistant from each speaker.

Also...they're both about 15" from the rear wall; I think it's probably just an optical illusion, because you have wall behind one speaker, and a window and treatments behind the other (that, or my suspect photography). I may not have your acoustic skills and knowledge, but I do know how to use a tape-measure.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Stephen, thanks for your comments. I'd love to have them further apart, but the room is pretty small. Not even quite 11' wide (4th bedroom); so right now they're about 6' apart.

Before you start doing the math, and suggest I could go more like 8', and still get 1.5' out from each side-wall...the door is on the wall of my listening side; so I have that challenge, and still being able to sit equidistant from each speaker.

Also...they're both about 15" from the rear wall; I think it's probably just an optical illusion, because you have wall behind one speaker, and a window and treatments behind the other (that, or my suspect photography). I may not have your acoustic skills and knowledge, but I do know how to use a tape-measure.
I'm in the same boat you are. My listening room, a spare bedroom on the 2nd floor, is about 11'x17', and the back end doubles as my home office. My speakers are 5'6" apart center-to-center cabinet, and my seating position is 7-8' away. I have 15" deep record shelves to contend with on both sides, and there are no other places to put them.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I'm in the same boat you are. My listening room, a spare bedroom on the 2nd floor, is about 11'x17', and the back end doubles as my home office. My speakers are 5'6" apart center-to-center cabinet, and my seating position is 7-8' away. I have 15" deep record shelves to contend with on both sides, and there are no other places to put them.
Yeah...smaller rooms are cozy (btw, I think this is the first time I recall seeing your space Dean. Very cozy indeed...looks like a Vinyl heaven), but it would be nice to give great speakers the room to really shine.

That's why I'm really giving serious thought to re-vamping my dormant 18 x 12 HT space. Sure, at 12' it's only a bit wider...but the real problem with my current space, are things like doors and windows...that compromise a small space, even that much more. The HT has no such concerns.

EDIT- Dean...even at 5.5' apart, I see you're employing some toe-in. I have to play around with my placement, but I just always assumed...because of the narrow spacing...that I'd try to maximize the soundstage by avoiding toe-in. You've experimented, and this is how your S1.4s sound best?

Last edited by CDLehner; 02-12-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:

EDIT- Dean...even at 5.5' apart, I see you're employing some toe-in. I have to play around with my placement, but I just always assumed...because of the narrow spacing...that I'd try to maximize the soundstage by avoiding toe-in. You've experimented, and this is how your S1.4s sound best?
Yes, I spend considerable time with a lot of classical and jazz working on the soundstage. The toe-in I've come up with is spot on. Changing it even a little bit has a noticeable effect. The soundstage is even better if I sit back farther, but that's not really an option for placing my seat. If I stay seated where I am toeing the speakers in or out has a negative effect. The back of the speakers are 2' off the rear walls.

This will be my listening arrangement for the foreseeable future. I do not want to merge this with my HT system downstairs, where I have 14' x 22'. I think nothing good comes of combing multi- and two-channel systems. For two-channel listening you just end up with three or more extra speakers resonating sympathetically, robbing the active speakers of detail and image.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM

RT, that is a very good LP collection you have there ! Vinyl spinning is nice and expensive and worth every effort if you the patience going from side A to B. I bet you go asleep in that room the moment the needle touches the record.