AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-02-2010, 03:52 PM

Default Tesla E83CC in C220 (or other Mc tube pre)

(Got no 'replies' from 'that other' Mc forum , so thought I would post here ...)

I got a pair of NOS (~1971 vintage) Tesla E83CCs last week, these are 'reproductions/continuations' of the famous Telefunken ECC803Ss that cost upwards of $1000/pair when you can find them. These were $174 with shipping on eBay. BTW, these have been 'verified' as seeming to be 'authentic' 1971 vintage E83CC Teslas made in the 'proper' factory by an independent 'appraiser' from the pictures only. The pictures on eBay 'match' the tubes I received.

I finally had a chance to listen in a quiet house last night after my initial swap from some Tele ribbed plate ECC83s that were in there (I moved those to the phono stage, which is used sparingly). In the middle of my first making the swap, the environment was compromised by TV and clothes dryer noise ... arrrggghhhh. But even with that, I think it sounded incrementally better in all the usual ways, with some more 'real' sounding string ensembles, etc..

Last night, I listened to the live Sarah McLachlan "Mirrorball" and Nickel Creek's "This Side" on CD. Both sounded better than I have ever heard them, more 'there' there, etc.. The ambience/concert hall on the Sarah M. was humoungous-sounding, more separation between singers/instruments and the audience/venue than I have heard before (actually, first time I really noticed that separation ...).

(I understand the Siemens and Halske 3-micas are great as well, maybe with a slightly different 'flavor'.)

Another audio buddy got the Teslas at the same time, and he reports similar experiences vs. NOS Tele ECC83 smooth plates in his C2300.

Wondered if others had tried these 'repros' and what your thoughts are, esp. in comparison to the 'original' Tele ECC803Ss, if you have tried them.

Last edited by Rick58; 04-02-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM

I'm looking to tube roll in my C2200

I cant find any smooth plate Teles { the rib plates i've tried .. i dont like the extended highs }

No body seems to have experience to comment back

To bad ... humm if the teslas that good then more people would know about ?

what am i missing here ??
Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rick58.......I have read a few other comments about the Tesla ECC83, and have seen them a few times on eBay being sold by a fellow in Germany. I bought several smooth plate Telefunken tubes from him that tested perfect when I received them, so I purchased a few more, and was not disappointed in their performance. I have been so satisfied with the sonic presentation of the Teles, I had no motivation to try the Tesla tubes.

I have also had excellent results with the reissued Tung-Sol gold pin 12AX7. They have a very similar sound to the Telefunken tubes, lots of air on top, deep bass, and a very smooth midrange. The price is quite reasonable.

Good luck with the Tesla tubes. It sounds like they are making you happy.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-06-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up

I looked on e-bay , found us4090us selling smooth tele's hailing from germany

So if all elles is equal i'll just bite the bullet and get them

Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
I'm looking to tube roll in my C2200

I cant find any smooth plate Teles { the rib plates i've tried .. i dont like the extended highs }

No body seems to have experience to comment back

To bad ... humm if the teslas that good then more people would know about ?

what am i missing here ??
First of all, thanks, Dan, for commenting. I really like the Teslas (and the Teles in the phono section). I may get some others later (Xmas?) but for now these will do nicely!

djd, I am not sure what you mean about the extended highs (being a bad thing?). Usually that's a good thing (to many) but maybe you are sensitive to them and would like something a little softer or 'honey' flavored?

The highs on the Teles, and now Tesla E83CC, which is a 'clone' of the famous Tele ECC803S (apparently Tesla BOUGHT tooling? parts? the whole factory? from Telefunken in the early 70s) are extended but smooth and very musical to me.

Maybe a Mullard would give you the sonics you are seeking? Check out https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm (maybe not to buy, but he describes some Mullard and RCA varieties as 'Warm, Smooth, Rich' which might be just your cup of tea).

Much of the fun in owning tubes is rolling in some different varieties and seeing what 'floats your boat'! Good luck in your quest.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
Thanks for the heads up

I looked on e-bay , found us4090us selling smooth tele's hailing from germany

So if all elles is equal i'll just bite the bullet and get them

I didn't see this last night before posting ...?

I would be interested in your impressions of the smooth plate vs. ribbed if you get these. I have read a couple of opinions (I guess there ARE only two!); they sound the same or different!

I don't know if possibly very minor sonic differences would 'solve' your issue with the 'extended highs' though ... good luck!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi Rick

I think Im going to go with your recommendation

4004 mullards NOS cryo treated @ $150 each .. ouch !

Chris { ex pres of Sonic Frontiers recommondend as well }

I have mullards in the 12 au7 slots already ...

Thanks alot for your advise

The rib plate Teles scared me off the brand = my supertweeters ring my ears with these and not enough weight to the bass

Im told some people cannot tell the difference betwwen smooth and rib plate Teles .

Teslas are of interest if they are better , but i'm confused as , tesla in 1960's made some and then changed to "Clone" design in 70's { bought production tooling from Tele}

Which is better ? the original or the clone ?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Well I just pulled the trigger on a pair of your teslas { hope your right }..

do everything better!

$140 pair on ebay

Hope i dont need to re-sell them !! .. LOL

What breakin time do they need before i start listening to them ?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Well, the Tesla E83CC is a 'clone/continuation' of the Telefunken ECC803S (which goes for $500+ EACH or something). I am 'afraid' this may not solve your problem ... but maybe!

I don't know if the Teslas are the same, better, or 'worse' than the original Telefunkens, but certainly are cheaper! They are the SAME design, as far as I can tell. The ones I bought, same seller as:
MATCHED PAIR TESLA E83CC ECC803S 12AX7 ECC83 GOLD PINS - eBay (item 400108183780 end time Mar-19-10 14:34:30 PDT)
were made in 1971, I believe. The "32" indicates the "more desirable" factory ...

Actually, one poster said "I use telefunken ECC803S's. Unbelievable detail and realism over stock, and "regular" tele's. I also found the bass "lacking" when I used the smooth plate or the ribbed." So maybe the bass won't be 'lightweight' in your setup? and hopefully the Teslas sound as good as the 'originals'.

I thought my 'advice' (actually guessing) was to go with Mullards instead of the Tele/Tesla types ... but it may work out. If the sound continues to bother you, maybe a little padding down of the supertweeters is in order?

I haven't noticed any changes after only maybe 6 hours of listening ... still sound excellent to me.

Last edited by Masterlu; 04-07-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Took your advise .. RICK

The mullards are beyond belief

Thanks so much for your help !

The mullard are specially selected and treated

TLF RIB PLATE NOT EVEN IN SAME BALLPARK !! ... SERIOUSLY