AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
'yer grandson

Default 1 output but 2 subs

Hayoo!

I have a quick question. I been running a dual subs and lately I'm running with only 1 sub and notice that the sound is much more fuller.. anyone noticed/experiment on these?

my guess is that it has only 1 sub out and 'maybe' I have data/signal loss??? but It can't be *I guess* since it's active subs

or can it be that 2 subs is better in cancelling echoic/reverberation (for lack of better word) sound?

any input, comments?

TIA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 PM

There is no loss. It may have to do with the positioning of the subs and their output with respect to the other speakers and your listening position. I suspect that the now unused sub was place poorly and removing it removed its effect on the overall sound.

Of course, you also raise the question of whether what you say is better really is better. I would go for some measurements to confirm what is being heard.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
'yer grandson

Hi Sir, (stereophile right? ) , Well I think I'm doomed, I don't have any measuring device of any sort..

Anyhow, thanks for confirming that there is no data loss for 1 output and 2 subs (I use 'y' splitter)..

another question: if there is no data loss why is the 1 sub I'm using has more 'oomp' to it compare with 2 running?

BTW, right now I'm using a receiver with auto room correction.. ( don't know if this info is relevant)

Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banswee View Post
Hi Sir, (stereophile right? ) , Well I think I'm doomed, I don't have any measuring device of any sort..

Anyhow, thanks for confirming that there is no data loss for 1 output and 2 subs (I use 'y' splitter)..

another question: if there is no data loss why is the 1 sub I'm using has more 'oomp' to it compare with 2 running?

BTW, right now I'm using a receiver with auto room correction.. ( don't know if this info is relevant)

Thanks
----- Jason, are your two subs set at the same Phase position? ...They should be.

Also, are they balanced equally together, to produce the same Gain (volume level)? ...They should be.
{From your listening position.}

And, are they identical subs? ...That would be best but not necessarily essential. ...Same distance, both, from you?

* Do you at least use a SPL meter with an audio test disc? ...You should, at the very least.

...And all of the above before you use any Auto Room EQ/Calibration system.

Your Auto Room EQ/Correction; which one is it, and of which caliber? ...Like if it is from Audyssey for example, flavor?
Or just tell me your receiver's model number; that's all I need to know.

Cheers,

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-23-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I thought I explained that. The position/configuration of each sub is different and their performance will be different, even if they were identical models an you use roomEQ. Sub2 might be interfering with the performance of Sub1.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hayoo!

I have a quick question. I been running a dual subs and lately I'm running with only 1 sub and notice that the sound is much more fuller.. anyone noticed/experiment on these?

my guess is that it has only 1 sub out and 'maybe' I have data/signal loss??? but It can't be *I guess* since it's active subs

or can it be that 2 subs is better in canceling echoic/reverberation (for lack of better word) sound?

any input, comments?

TIA
Jason .....

Just to make sure you know this.
I am not in anyway the expert here on AA.
But I can offer you a suggestion.

I'm also assuming they are identical subs.

This SPL meter is now old and I doubt you can even purchase it any longer.
But the point here is get one of these.
This is just to show you a simple one and it works just fine for speaker levels.

My subs can be individually adjusted that is why I have the SPL meter.
If you can adjust your's then get one of these meters and check to see what each one is doing.
You might also have to relocate one or both of them.

I'm sure you know this already but there is a simple way to do this.
Un-plug one at a time and read what the SPL sound level is.
Then Un-plug it and plug in the other and check the sound level on it.
You obviously want to set them as close as possible sound level wise to each other.
At your seating position.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Tiger's on a roll here.

Do everything he said, check all of your settings.

If possible, can you mock-up a diagram of the room and speaker placement? That may help.

What you are describing is usually a phase problem where one sub is cancelling the other out. Easy enough to fix - we just need to know the specifics of what is where and what are they dial'd in at.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM

-- I prefer the analog SPL meter personally.

* One important point here: many people don't have all the tools, and also the various and important instructions to set multiple subs properly.
It is not so easy for most people; they need to read the basic set of instructions (various audio websites from the pros).
...Like AVS Forum for example.

And if they do want to take the time to read, and then to set things themselves, the better their knowledge, and the more power to them.
But not everyone wants to travel that 'complexed' road, and so they might be much better off to hire someone to do it for them.

OR! Go from here, mention EVERYTHING there is to know about your gear and your room (that is a lot right there and it is essential to know for us, from the cyber space), in order to direct you in the right path of setting up multiple subs, and get the total benefit from them. ...Two subs are much better than one sub. ...When properly set up (equally balanced, positioned, ...) and EQued.

Generally multiple subs help in the room's overall balance; better than a single sub. ...Properly done that is.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-23-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Tiger's on a roll here.

Do everything he said, check all of your settings.

If possible, can you mock-up a diagram of the room and speaker placement? That may help.

What you are describing is usually a phase problem where one sub is cancelling the other out. Easy enough to fix - we just need to know the specifics of what is where and what are they dial'd in at.
Quote:
Tiger's on a roll here.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM
'yer grandson

Thanks gentlemen!!

Appreciate all the help. I don't really know that much in terms of calibration because I am so constrained of my free time that I just say to myself-- thats fine by now and be happy with it.

anyhoot, YES they are the same subs, same phase setting, same volume setting and same space from both back and side... I can take picture of how my small room look like.

Quote:
I'm sure you know this already but there is a simple way to do this.
Un-plug one at a time and read what the SPL sound level is.
Then Un-plug it and plug in the other and check the sound level on it.
You obviously want to set them as close as possible sound level wise to each other.
At your seating position.

I'll do this BUT as of right now I can only do an APP (SPL meter) from my ipad and will see if it's even accurate.

Thanks again and I'll update soon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]