AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 View Post
I haven’t seen any change in behavior and I still get the occasional “rogue” input LED coming on when I shut down (entering Standby).

Note that my unit was very early production (serial 00007).

Stefan
Got one of those the other night (two input LEDs lit). Just selected a different input and all was 'normal' (single LED lit) again. Mine is 00260.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 AM

Default Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Got one of those the other night (two input LEDs lit). Just selected a different input and all was 'normal' (single LED lit) again. Mine is 00260.
Interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen that variation (while the unit is operating!) yet. In fact it hasn’t happened enough lately to properly characterize the problem.

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 12-14-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
I am not aware of any changes but I will ask Mike

james

The RA form says updated to R05.2 by Jen.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Does anyone know if the BP-17 cubed would drive a lower impedance headphone such as the Audeze LCD-3? Stereophile reports a relatively high output impedance of 72 ohms in their review.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post

Are you using Trigger 2?

I have found a pattern. Since I stopped using Trigger 2 (not assigned to any input and wire unplugged) the rogue LED has not appeared in several months.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Last edited by urbanluthier; 07-05-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 AM

I can confirm, multiple LEDs on Standby directly related to use of Trigger 2!

No rogue LEDs since February with Trigger 2 INACTIVE on all inputs. That’s 6 months without issue, only using Trigger 1.

August 26 I enabled Trigger 2 on BAL2 and upon going to Standby immediately got two red LEDs. (BAL2 was selected at the time of power down. No trigger wire connected.)

No static electricity here!
Old 04-10-2020, 07:44 AM

I have the chance to either pick up a demo version of the BP-26 with MPS2 power supply or order the BP-17-cubed. Both with MM phono card. Price would be comparable.

Limited number of sources - phono, tuner (maybe), two digital sources, but using an outboard DAC in all cases. Headphone performance is important.

There is a wait currently of course for new products but that it is not a big concern. Also, given the current situation, demos are a bit difficult. Own a cubed-series amplifier.

Any thoughts out there?
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Last edited by urbanluthier; 07-05-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanluthier View Post
I have the BP-17 cubed with phono stage and find it an excellent pre amp. One advantage the 17 has over the BP-26 is the excellent volume tracking which is very precise at low levels. Also the remote switchable inputs and esp the balance control are very useful. Compared to the pre section of my old B60 the 17 is less upfront sounding and perhaps a tad smoother. Really subtle though

The BP17 is a very quiet pre amp. Although I had a heck of a time getting rid of ground loop problem with my Esoteric K-05x (connected by balanced inputs). Finally had to float the ground on the Esoteric plug. I'm rather annoyed about this. To be clear the Esoteric is entirely at fault not the Bryston. Madding considering everything is plugged into a BIT 15.

Thanks! Very helpful. Yes, ground loops can be everyone's nightmare.

I had one (more likely a 60 Hz pick-up) between the single ended multichannel outputs on the OPPO 205 connected into a multichannel ATI amp. Solved by using a balanced to single ended cable (balanced input on the ATI). The common mode rejection on the ATI input took care of it, indicating more of a 60 common mode pick-up noise than a ground loop. OPPO was the cause. Took more than 5 minutes to figure it out though.