AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Boulder Electronics

Boulder Electronics Transparent, Accurate, Fast, Rugged, and Reliable

Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 AM

Default Boulder factory tour experience!

Earlier this week I had the pleasure to visit boulder amplifier inc. in Louisville CO. I received a personal tour of the factory by Rich Maez and also had the pleasure of spending some time in their exquisite listening space.

This is a truly high end company from start to finish. The products are of the highest quality I’ve seen and after touring the factory I know why. They essentially manufacture their products from start to finish under one roof with individual human personal attention to ensure the highest quality. Only the best equipment, materials, and parts. It truly is a site to see. No assembly lines here. Just expert craftsman performing their art on a daily basis. No cutting corners here... every imaginable detail is taken into account.

Rich Maez is a stand out guy and his sincere interest in representing Boulder products as being true to the studio recordings becomes easily apparent when you spend some time with him.

I’ve always heard some criticism about Boulder gear sounding cold and sterile. Well that is truly unfair criticism. It’s neutral and accurate. It’s dynamic and transparent. What I found most appealing about it is that it allowed music to be played louder because there was so much control over the speakers that it felt like distortion was significantly reduced. Bass control and grip was just amazing.

I’ve listened to a lot of gear over the years and granted the Boulder listening room is truly state of the art in the way it was designed. Regardless I feel confident that unless you need or want electronics to help tune your system or you have a personal taste favoring midrange bloom etc. then Boulder is worth a look because it is very special in how it controls the speaker without adding any identifiable sonic signature.

Again, Rich will tell you... boulder gear was designed to allow the studio recording to come through not to influence the sound in any particular way.

Their relatively new 1160 stereo amp is something special. It sat in the same listening space located between the cost no object 3050 monoblocks. I listened to several songs between both amps. Yes the 3050’s are better but the 1160 at a fraction of the cost is actually a good value coming in under $30k in the realm of amps that live in this price range. You get a substantial taste of the 3050’s character in the 1160. Of course the 3050 does everything better as it should. But for real world audiophiles and music enthusiasts the 1160 definitely needs to be in the conversation now. Unfortunately I did not get to listen to the 2160 as it was not at the factory on the day I visited.

Anyways I just thought I would share this very positive experience here as I truly was impressed with Boulder’s factory and product demonstrations. It truly is state of the art gear!

Thanks again to Rich Maez for the special opportunity!

Last edited by dcvibe; 03-14-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: adding pics upon request.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:05 AM

That's awesome! My friend Tony L is in Colorado as we speak and is trying to set up a tour for him and his wife.

I wish I could visit!

And no, Boulder is not cold or sterile.

Last edited by joey_v; 03-14-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Thanks Diva for conveying your visit for AA.

Awesome products no doubt -- the 1160 may be a wolf in sheep's clothing?

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 AM

Thx for sharing...excellent post
Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Thanks for sharing! I’ve always believed that boulder is a product unlike any other. You hear some electronics and their impact on the sound is marginal. Not the case with Boulder.

In my opinion they are the best. Too bad their 2100 series and up are as much as a house in some areas!

However it seems like the 1100 is worthwhile to look at!
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Thanks Diva for conveying your visit for AA.

Awesome products no doubt -- the 1160 may be a wolf in sheep's clothing?

Best Sir,

Bob
You are most welcome!

Cheers,
“DEVA”
Old 03-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvibe View Post
You are most welcome!

Cheers,
“DEVA”
(I knew that, fingers didn't).

Best to you,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Lifetime audio addict!

Thanks for the post. I have never heard any Boulder products, yet!
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Merry Christmas to all

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I didn't feel comfortable taking my own pics but I have attached several pics from boulder's facebook page that are very representative of what I saw!

Thanks,
Deva