AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
George

I am using Transparent Speaker cables and Nivana IC with my ARC Ref 5se and Pass 350. My choice was based on the fact that this time the tonal balance was perfect and I wanted max detail without moving the tonal balance. Prior I used Cardas Gold Cross, because my system was tipped a little too far into the high freq and not enough midrange bloom. In part the question is what do you want to do.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I am using Transparent Speaker cables and Nivana IC with my ARC Ref 5se and Pass 350. My choice was based on the fact that this time the tonal balance was perfect and I wanted max detail without moving the tonal balance. Prior I used Cardas Gold Cross, because my system was tipped a little too far into the high freq and not enough midrange bloom. In part the question is what do you want to do.
Hi George,

I am finding with my Cardas Clear Light interconnects and speaker cables that the treble is a little tipped up and edgy. I am looking for a cable combination that will reduce the brightness and be smoother in the treble range.

I am also in the process of adding a power conditioner and planning some acoustic room treatments, so the equation could potentially change some in the next few months.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi George,

I am finding with my Cardas Clear Light interconnects and speaker cables that the treble is a little tipped up and edgy. I am looking for a cable combination that will reduce the brightness and be smoother in the treble range.

Thanks,
Ken
Then you might think about Cardas Gold Cross. They really did a good job of opening up the midrange and taming the high end.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been upgrading my system over the last several months and the Clear Light interconnects and speaker cables just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm now looking at upgrading my cables. I primarily listen to jazz vocals and small jazz combos. I prefer the midrange and treble to be smooth, warm and natural. Can anyone recommend some interconnects and speaker cables that meet these requirements and work well with the Pass XP-30 and XA-100.5?

Thanks so much,
Ken
WW Eclipse line (copper) for speakers/ICs.

Silver Electra for power.

Platinum for USB.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
WW Eclipse line (copper) for speakers/ICs.

Silver Electra for power.

Platinum for USB.

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I'm getting my power conditioner today, so there's a possibility that some of the edginess I'm hearing in the treble could be reduced.

Do you think it would be better to upgrade my interconnects and speaker cables first and then add some room treatments or vice versa? I'm not sure which to do first.

Best,
Ken
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Room treatments almost always have a greater impact versus swapping cables. Personally, my route of attack would be:

Room treatments
USB cable
Power cable(s)
Speaker cable
ICs
Old 02-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
Room treatments almost always have a greater impact versus swapping cables. Personally, my route of attack would be:

Room treatments
USB cable
Power cable(s)
Speaker cable
ICs
Thanks again, Emile. I have some slap echo in my listening room that needs to be addressed. Hopefully the acoustic treatments will alleviate some of the bright treble I've been experiencing too. By the time I get down to the speaker cables and interconnects, it may be less of an issue. I will most likely follow your advice and go with copper SCs and ICs. Silver or silver-clad SCs and ICs always seem brighter in the treble to my ears compared to copper. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the USB cable though, so I'll probably go silver for that.

Best,
Ken
Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Media Server Aficionado

If brightness is an issue, I almost always stick with pure copper except for digital cables (USB, SPDIF, AES).

Good luck, Ken.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:27 PM

+1 For analog cables, pure Cu is the way to go.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
Transparent built me an entire suite custom configured for my component specifications and let me break them in for two weeks and then listen for another two weeks. That service plus the sonics resulted in an easy decision to buy, thought they are quite expensive.
Peter, is this a standard Transparent practice? I visited my local Transparent dealer a number of times and discussed my interest in Opus MM2 and he never once brought up the possibility of getting customized cables for me to audition. He only offered what he had on hand. They weren't set up even close to what I needed and consequently I was not enamored with Transparent. I went on to spend a considerable amount on a complete set of MIT MA-X SHD cables. I wouldn't be surprised if they messed up, I've never been a fan of this particular dealer.