AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 PM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Can you comment on the differences that you hear?
Unfortunately, it might be difficult if not impossible for me to comment until later this year... September timeframe to be precise. I moved a couple thousand miles and an in a rental home while my new house is being built. I have a C2600, MC-462, and Wilson Duette 2's set up, but all my other gear is packed up from the move. Other issue is my above mentioned system is crammed into my make shift office which is a small bedroom which I also have tons of computer equipment set up in order to do work. If I find a way to get the MC-452 unpacked and I will do an A/B for sure though.

EDIT: One last note of importance: I bought the C2600, MC-462, and the Duette 2's at my current location, so I have never heard anything in the current system with any of my other equipment which is why I *literally* don't have any comparison currently available.

Last edited by IM3CPO; 04-25-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Can you comment on the differences that you hear?
The fact that he hasn't is telling ...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
The fact that he hasn't is telling ...
In the years to come, when my Mc452 is LONG out of warranty, I might try to stuff 4 42,000uF capacitors in it to replace the 4 27,500uF caps to see if that might bring me closer to that 3.1 Db headroom that the '462 boasts.
Since I enjoy the amp so much as it is, I just may never get around to it... :-)
Old 04-28-2019, 05:34 PM

I just spent a good amount of time demoing a bunch of different amps with the 11As. Using the same source/preamp across Luxman, Bell Canto, and PS Audio amps. I currently have the MC452.

The usual caveat, this is totally a personal preference and I really love McIntosh gear. I have been searching for the right amp to find the balance between warmth and detail with the 11As. As I learned from listening and reaffirmed by my ML dealer, the ML electrostats naturally roll off highs, thus making them on the warmer side, but very transparent. Thus I was recommended to try out amps with more sparkle/detail yet smooth vs. warm. Tubes are out given my current setup, but will try them out down the road.

I agree with Bob, the high-mids are really important for electrostats, I would add highs as well to that. I think it’s worth hearing the MC462 vs. MC452 with the 11As before making your decision. I feel the MC452 is lacking somewhat in detail both areas, especially highs. I am currently trying out my MC7106s in bridged mode with the 11As and it gives a lot more detail in the highs than the MC452. The MC7106 is directly coupled. Though the MC452 excels in almost all other areas like mids and bass.

I absolutely loved the Luxman amps with the ML 11As. Made the mistake of hearing the m900u and I have never heard something so smooth yet detailed across the whole spectrum paired with MLs, something to aspire to, just way out of budget for now. I am seriously considering going with the Luxman 509X. Compared to the Luxman 509X/m900u the 590axii was the warmest, then followed by Bel Canto, then PS Audio mono blocks.

If the MC462 has improved on the high-mids/highs I would highly recommend hearing it and comparing with the MC452s and MC601s. You have to hear it with the ML speakers, but I know it’s hard to find dealers that carry both McIntosh + Martin Logans.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel Heslop View Post
Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

...My room is very big...too big,actually, and not super acoustically friendly so just doing the best I can with.

If it were me I would start with the acoustic space. Louder in a poorly controlled space will only give you poorer performance.

Mike S.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Under almost all circumstances I would go with the newer technology. So if a pair of 611's is not in the cards, I would go with the 462.