AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Buy Shunyata...they are much better cables than anything else mentioned or near to discussion here!!!"

I respectfully disagree. Many other manufacturers make cables, power cords, and conditioners that are competitive with Shunyata and at competitive prices. It is important to understand that Shunyata does not employ silver except in their Sigma USB cable. Almost all truly high end "cable" manufacturers employ solid silver in their top line "cables" and that's where the tremendous cost arises. The top tier AQ solid copper Hurricane power cord is competitive with the Shunyata Sigma power cord. The only difference between a Dragon is the silver content. There is no difference in build quality or technology between a Dragon and a Hurricane other than the silver content. The solid silver Dragon is every bit as expensive as the Synergistics. I own 9 Dragons, 6 of which are HC. I have stated elsewhere that AQ technology and manufacturing are the equal of and competitive with Shunyata. I think you have to be careful of putting your favorite manufacturer on a pedestal because yours may not be mine.

Now one might say regarding silver that this is ridiculous, way over the top, but keep in mind that I kept my MIT gear (Z-Center, Z-Cords, Z-Stabilizer, etc.) that my AQ replaced for 25 years and greatly enjoyed it. I watch my money very closely. But will never have to buy another power cord or conditioner in my lifetime, nor do I plan any further purchases of speaker cables or IC's. My investment is made and now I can sit back and enjoy the music.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house
+1 great response!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM

I don't know why everybody is so concerned about this Synergistics $10,000 power cable being a bit over the top. The Nordost Odin has been around awhile and is a bargain at $30,000. You get a nice little block of wood with it too.

Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I don't know why everybody is so concerned about this Synergistics $10,000 power cable being a bit over the top. The Nordost Odin has been around awhile and is a bargain at $30,000. You get a nice little block of wood with it too.

Yes, but is it pure solid silver?

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Nope. Silver Plated Copper.

From the Nordost website:

The Odin Power Cord applies Nordost's TSC (Total Signal Control) technology to significantly advance the audio performance AC wiring. It uses seven, close tolerance 15 AWG, 99.999999% oxygen free copper conductors, each covered by an 85 micron layer of extruded silver, suspended in a Dual Mono-Filament matrix and enclosed in the TSC shield. The result is a new level in efficiency of power transmission coupled with superb mechanical damping and rejection of external RFI/EM interference.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post

I just ordered 9 of'em.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:05 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Synergistics releases a USD $10,000 power cable

Nordost is stupid expensive and even dumber if you pay anywhere near retail.

I run mainly Valhalla 2 except for my Odin pieces.

My system really plays well with a Nordost loom, plus their QRT line - I have tried a bunch of brands as well and theres lots of nice stuff out there.

In the end, nobody cares, and it’s my money and my ears.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:16 PM

"In the end, nobody cares, and it’s my money and my ears."

Couldn't agree with you more. And if your ears like Nordost they are a good value for your system.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Talking

Well said... MM & ME so all good.

Need some Tee shirts.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Ain't this the truth!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Well said... MM & ME so all good.

Need some Tee shirts.
+1