AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Where Pets Rule

Where Pets Rule Fur, Feathers, and Fins!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM

Question Peeing on the carpet :(

OK, I've gotten really good feedback here with regards to Smokey so here goes. For the past 4-5 weeks my little guy has taken to peeing on the carpet He's not doing this every time he needs to go because I see evidence in his litter box, which I scoop out at least twice a day. I clean the spot as soon as I notice it using pet spot remover and cleaner as well as some that was supposed to contain "natural" items to prevent him from visiting the same spot. He seems most fond of one particular corner of the living room. From what I can tell he knows he's not supposed to be going there because I've walked into the room and caught him in the act a time or two and he immediately runs away. I'm getting to the point where I'm getting a little mad about it.
I had originally thought it was that his litter box was too small so I went out and picked up a bigger one which he seemed to take to right away. He was in it scratching the bottom before I added the litter and has been using it on a regular basis, just not 100% of the time
So does anyone have any idea's???????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.

Last edited by DonBattles; 03-26-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM

Are you crate training him?

This is a must do, it make a safe place for them, and they will not pee where they sleep, then you take him outside and long stents in the crate, make him pee in the yard same spots etc, he will mark, smell amd in time will only go there.

it is tuff like training a little kid
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM

When I had a cat, I had success with a product like this:

VAPET WASH & GET OFF Cat and Dog Repellent Spray 500ml

When you start using it, also try to keep the pet much more outside for a while so that it learns to go out everytime it's needed.
TT:Technics SL-1200 MKII,Herbie's Mat,Oyaide MJ-12 mat and Vantage copper mat,Oyaide headshell,Furutech Monza,Isonoe Isolation Feet,Isodek IF-2 base | Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 | RCM: Loricraft PRC4 | Amps: EAR 868L Preamp,Transcription Audio 211 SET,Bob Carver Cherry 180 | CD: Ear Yoshino Acute | Tuner:Magnum Dynalab 90T | Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII,Townshend Super Tweeters,Transcription Audio Speakers
Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM

He's an indoor cat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Don, I fought and lost this battle when I had a male cat. Once they decide a spot is right, it is very hard to convince them otherwise. Allegedly removing the smell works (did not for me) or masking it with some odor they dislike (did not work for me) to prevent recurrence. I ended up putting another litter box there (which may be unacceptable for you, since it is a living room). Good luck. This is a tough one.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 PM

The problem is the cushion underneath the carpet. Urine has gotten through the "Vapor Barrier" of the carpet and into the pad below. The instinct of a cat makes it urinate where it can smell its former urine.

Possible solution and worth trying if, as you say, it is in the corner:

1. Grab the corner of the carpet and lift up removing it from the tack strips
2. Cut out a piece of the cushion bigger than the visual stain
3. Clean bare floor (if particle board do not get it wet, use dry cleaner) Be sure to clean the underside of carpet as well while rolled back.
4. Cut a new piece of cushion the exact size of cutout(put plastic on bare floor first)
5. Lay that section back down and press it onto the tacking strip.

Note: Overkill: After you do this, you might want to put tile or something solid on the carpet for a while until Smokey loses interest.

If this does not work, pick out a nice color for the new carpet.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM

I love pets, but that is a lot of work.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM

I don't mind the work and new carpet is due sometime soon. That being said I'm trying orange and lemon peels all over the floor as I read cats don't care for citrus. Just my luck he'll try peeing all over the peels to get rid of the smell
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Don, I've had cats for over 15 years and I've been fortunate - I didn't have to deal with this. I have no suggestions but of course wish you the best of luck in solving this.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM

I have done this several times for myself and friends through the years. It is just an hour or so of light work. The carpet comes up easily if you give it short jerks, starting in the corner. You do not have to be a handyman to do it. If I lived within 100 miles of you I would fix it for an AA member but we live at least 3,000 apart.
Whether you replace the carpet with new or repair the cushion, be sure to paint a sealer on the wood/particle board/cement flooring under the stain before covering over it again.
Loving cats makes this task an easy chore.
Lemon smell last days or weeks but urine in the cushion lasts indefinitely.