AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I'm impressed... At $2k per pair, these may very well be one of the best bargains out there. Seems those who have heard them thought they sounded great.
...that's why I posted the thread
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Okay, I have heard not the MMMicroOnes, but I heard the MMMiniTwos, the Playback Designs and the amazing DarTZeel gear at both the CA Audio Show in Emeryville, CA, and at RMAF and they were AMAZING. Jonathan Tinn (the gent in the picture) had some tapes on the Studer and it was well....astonishing. That DarTZeel CTH-8550 was extremely impressive, also. My mouth was hanging open in disbelief most of the time. The Evolution Acoustics are on that short list along with the new Sony SS-AR1s as amongst the best speakers I've ever heard.

If you think the MMMicroOnes are something, you should hear the MMMiniTwos.

Meanwhile, if the MMMicroOnes are $2K, I am going to give Jonathan Tinn a call tomorrow.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-31-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Okay, I have heard not the MMMicroOnes, but I heard the MMMiniTwos, the Playback Designs and the amazing DarTZeel gear at both the CA Audio Show in Emeryville, CA, and at RMAF and they were AMAZING. Jonathan Tinn (the gent in the picture) had some tapes on the Studer and it was well....astonishing. That DarTZeel CTH-8550 was extremely impressive, also. My mouth was hanging open in disbelief most of the time. The Evolution Acoustics are on that short list along with the new Sony SS-AR1s as amongst the best speakers I've ever heard.

If you think the MMMicroOnes are something, you should hear the MMMiniTwos.

Meanwhile, if the MMMicroOnes are $2K, I am going to give Jonathan Tinn a call tomorrow.
Puma...I emailed Jonathan and he confirmed the $2K pricing and I believe he said they are going to become available for customer shipments sometime in May time frame. Let us know what you find out if anything different from the above. He also confirmed pricing for the Playback MPS-3/MPD-3 (Transport/DAC) is ($8,500/$6,500). The MPS-3 is a CD-only transport (i.e., no SACD support like in the MPS-5).
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Thanks, Cyrll. I will give Jonathan a call and put myself on the 'interested parties' list.

Regards,
Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM

Sure thing Stephen. Can you ask Jonathan when you get in touch what is the cost of the associated stand for the MMMicroOnes? I forgot to ask. Unfortunately, the closest dealer to me who carries the Evo Acoustics speaker line (and the Playback Designs line) is in PA. So if you get a chance to hear them in person, please let us know your thoughts. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Sure thing, Cyril.

I've met Jonathan a couple times at those shows; hope he remembers me.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Sure thing, Cyril.

I've met Jonathan a couple times at those shows; hope he remembers me.
I was wondering if you or Cyril ever had the chance to listen to these?

Jeff
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Jeff...I have not. I don't think the speakers are out yet. Jonathan Tinn said shipments to begin in May to customers. They may be doing the rounds with dealers right now As I mentioned in an earlier post there are no dealers that carry the Evolution Acoustics or the Playback Designs gear anywhere clse to me (Boston), so until I make it to PA sometime soon (or an audio show), I am not going to get a chance to hear them in person.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks Cyril. I had some back and forth contact with Jonathan today and it looks like the latest update is shipping in June/July. A guy over on Audiogon said he had inquired to Jonathan who put him in touch with Kevin Malmgren, who is the designer for the line. That guy lived near Kevin in San Diego and Kevin invited him over for a test listen. I think Jonathan was going to suggest something similar to me because he asked me if I ever get out to San Diego. Unfortunately, I don't usually and that's a long way form Atlanta. Like you, there's no nearby dealer for me and even if there was, Jonathan said none of the dealers have them as production isn't complete. Sorry for being vague there as I probably should have asked if anyone else had been able to make a visit to see Kevin for a test listen.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Hi,

I was just wondering if there have been any updates to this thread. Has anyone listened to the Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne speakers?

Thanks!