AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Default REL G1 Coming for a trial

My local dealer is going to bring over and set-up a REL G1 for me to audition in my 2-channel room. I have owned several subs but have never been happy due to integration issues. If this does't work out I am not sure what my next purchase might be.

Since I am heading out of town again tomorrow, I have scheduled the set-up for August the 8th.

Jim
Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 AM

Just got mine...

Let me know what you think!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
My local dealer is going to bring over and set-up a REL G1 for me to audition in my 2-channel room. I have owned several subs but have never been happy due to integration issues. If this does't work out I am not sure what my next purchase might be.

Since I am heading out of town again tomorrow, I have scheduled the set-up for August the 8th.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Have you ever tried any of the other REL subs? I have a pair of Stentor II's and have set up Studio's in the past. The one thing I have always loved about the REL subs I have used in the past is they were easy to dial in where you did not notice them. It might take a bit of fiddling, but they always do the trick. And I have not had such luck with other brands. I have not played with the new series subs from REL so I am curious to read about your results. Very musical subs!

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkirk View Post
Hi Jim,

Have you ever tried any of the other REL subs? I have a pair of Stentor II's and have set up Studio's in the past. The one thing I have always loved about the REL subs I have used in the past is they were easy to dial in where you did not notice them. It might take a bit of fiddling, but they always do the trick. And I have not had such luck with other brands. I have not played with the new series subs from REL so I am curious to read about your results. Very musical subs!

Ken
ken
I have tried subs from Definitive Technology, the JL F-112 and Martin Logan Depth i. This will be the first REL sub and the reason I am trying it is that it uses the same hi level signal from your amps as do your speakers, plus it is a great looking sub. I do not have great hopes that it will work but it is worth a try.

JIM
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
The Architect

Good luck with the new sub Jim - I hope this one does work out for you and meets your expectations!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Good luck with the new sub Jim - I hope this one does work out for you and meets your expectations!
Thanks Jeff, will keep you posted.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
That's a Deusy !

Jim,
I heard one at Paragon 2 weeks ago.... I don't think you will like it.....you will love it!
It is a very very well defined sub !
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......I have a feeling this time the subwoofer will integrate with your speakers. I credit the room treatment you now have in place that was not there during your last experiences with your other subs. I believe this time the new REL G1 will please you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
ken
I have tried subs from Definitive Technology, the JL F-112 and Martin Logan Depth i. This will be the first REL sub and the reason I am trying it is that it uses the same hi level signal from your amps as do your speakers, plus it is a great looking sub. I do not have great hopes that it will work but it is worth a try.

JIM
I have had pretty much the same trouble with the other subs. If this new REL G1 does not do the trick, try a Stentor. I have never not been able to dial in one of the ST series REL subs. If I can hear a sub, it is not right. I totally understand where you are coming from. I started with one Stentor II and a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas. After a day or two of moving it around, trying different settings, etc. it just blended perfectly. Pure magic. Then after a while I wondered if 2 Stentors running in stereo would be better. This was a long time ago and Richard Lord was running the company. He was friendly and we traded a bunch of emails about running the subs in stereo. My question to him was 'Are two Stentors in stereo better than one Studio? " His answer... Two Studios would be best! Yea sure! At the time Stentors were 4K each and a Studio was 8K, so it was a valid question. He never would commit to the answer. I decided to get another StentorII and run them in stereo. It made a dramatic difference. The extra sub filled in holes and gave a depth to the soundstage that was not there with one Stentor. I now use them with my Amati's and they were easy to dial in with the Amati's. Good luck!

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkirk View Post
I have had pretty much the same trouble with the other subs. If this new REL G1 does not do the trick, try a Stentor. I have never not been able to dial in one of the ST series REL subs. If I can hear a sub, it is not right. I totally understand where you are coming from. I started with one Stentor II and a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas. After a day or two of moving it around, trying different settings, etc. it just blended perfectly. Pure magic. Then after a while I wondered if 2 Stentors running in stereo would be better. This was a long time ago and Richard Lord was running the company. He was friendly and we traded a bunch of emails about running the subs in stereo. My question to him was 'Are two Stentors in stereo better than one Studio? " His answer... Two Studios would be best! Yea sure! At the time Stentors were 4K each and a Studio was 8K, so it was a valid question. He never would commit to the answer. I decided to get another StentorII and run them in stereo. It made a dramatic difference. The extra sub filled in holes and gave a depth to the soundstage that was not there with one Stentor. I now use them with my Amati's and they were easy to dial in with the Amati's. Good luck!

Ken
Ken
One issue I am dealing with is I do not want to clutter up the room and finding room for one G1 might be tricky, so two subs won't happen.

I agree with your premise that if you can hear the sub something isn't right.

JIm