AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
.... up until that point .... that they didn't perform as they should have ....
So, it's acceptable for a company to not perform as they should have? OK for GM to ignore the ignition switch and Takata the airbag flaws? VW to violate emissions requirements?

Where do you draw the line?

Bad is bad and wrong is wrong. What is abundantly clear is that it is owners who grant Ayre a pass.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Ayre MXR overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
I don't mind defending myself at all. My career has been in coaching healthcare providers on how to overcome medical errors, where slovenly service literally has resulted in death. The principles are applicable in all industries. I have an Ayre integrated and it performs very well. My complaint has been in how Ayre responded when I contacted them about a failure in one of their products, subsequently returned to the dealer.

How a provider of either a service or a product should matter. It is in all consumers best interest. Of all I have dealt with professionally and personally, Ayer fell the shortest in their response.

Admitting and correcting mistakes and poor service is one thing. Adopting QC measures and a culture to avoid them from even happening in the first place is another. Lack of negative consumer feedback leads to complacency and that should never be tolerated.

I think it's great that Ayre owns up to their mistakes and offers to make them right. But that falls short of not making the mistakes in the first place, when, with the proper processes in place, should be completely avoidable.

Thanks for the reply but I still don't have enough data to determine if I agree or disagree with your opinion. Your statements above seem to get into your impression of DPMO processes, QC processes and culture. I am not sure you have enough data points to opine on any of these and your experience seems in stark contrast to others. You have a data point of one (it is a valid data point but limited in its ability to extrapolate into some of your broad statements- I do believe anecdotes matter so sharing your experience as a single data point does have value). you said you encountered a product with a defect and since you constantly repeat your concerns, I think it would be helpful to understand what went wrong, what did you request from Ayre and what about their response caused you such angst....this way we can all form our own opinion....that would be helpful. Lack of this info makes it impossible to draw any conclusions.

You constantly discuss Pass as a benchmark....do you have any data points on their defect rate as compared to the industry or have they had to solve a problem for you. I am only aware from your posts that you liked your interaction pre-sale. I apologize if I am slow but I still am not clear on what happened. I do know humans are three sigma machines at best....and while designing processes (DFSS) to eliminate defects or improving existing processes (DMAIC) is good for any industry....no one will die if their amp malfunctions...comparing audio to healthcare is a stretch IMHO. I do value quality and I believe any brand that successfully survives in today's world of free information flow depends on it. I have 12 Ayre products of various ages 1-6 years old....none have had problems. Presale discussions and upgrade communications have been excellent- I had both my ARC ref 250 amps blow a resistor with 10 hrs of operation-they sent a new pair the next day and ran fine til the day I sold them. I view the quality of both companies as very high even though one suffered from an early defect and required a unit swap and extra what time.

I am all for sharing experiences for others to use and inform their purchase decisions....I just don't have enough info to conclude anything other than you are a disgruntled customer who has enough time on your hands to repeat vague statements over and over and over again

Please give us the details.....I look forward to it.

Last edited by enatai252; 04-22-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
So, it's acceptable for a company to not perform as they should have? OK for GM to ignore the ignition switch and Takata the airbag flaws? VW to violate emissions requirements?

Bad is bad and wrong is wrong. What is abundantly clear is that it is owners who grant Ayre a pass.

We are moving to the ridiculous. Known airbag design flaws and illegal tampering with emissions testing as compared to some defect on an audio product that we still don't have info on? Your credibility is free falling

Can you just provide facts- what went wrong, what did you ask of them to remediate and how did they respond. Super simple. I may even agree that they made a mistake once I get the data. This continues to sound super personal....
Old 04-22-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:

How can anyone take you seriously when you jump so easily into ridiculous comparisons of apples and oranges and pound your chest as if you think you've made a valid point. Next time someone dies from a defective amplifier, let us know.

As others have said, instead of wasting everyone's time with increasingly outrageous diatribes, actually describe in a calm rational manner what actually happened with Ayre. Further, describe each other manufacturer that you've dealt with in a similar situation and how they handled the situation to your satisfaction.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:48 PM

Well I have now had a good listen for a few days.......and the sound is outstanding, you were all right.... hard to believe but it is better. Several bottles of wine, and many erudite opinions later, and it is unanimous...."better". Seems faster more detailed and delicate in the top end, I think because of this sound stage and depth broader / deeper. Mids have always been exemplary, I think the bass is a little tighter and less bloated. (I do use B&W 802D2's which can be a little bass heavy). Thrilled with these amps..... pity it took close to 5 months to sort out. It's a great formula, small powerful elegant "audio jewellery"

OK so now...how much better is the Twenty version of the KX-R over the original?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
OK so now...how much better is the Twenty version of the KX-R over the original?
haha. Dude, just schedule the upgrade. You ain't heard nothing yet.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I seriously thought the KX-R was the most amazing preamp I had ever heard but it could sound a bit bright at times.

The Twenty not only improved the soundstaging and sonics, but all harshness was just gone.

The upgrade was certainly not inexpensive, and I could have purchased most any other preamp on the market for the combo of the upgrade price and what I could have sold the KX-R for used.

Instead the upgrade was a no-brainer for me; I found it to be that much of an improvement.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 PM

Bill, I'll felt the same that you did. You nailed it!

As for folks who are disgruntled, I don't care about what they do for a living. He had a problem and didn't follow the basic request of the company to go through the dealer first. He won't let it go and he loses any credibility with the way he posts. There is always that one person. It's too bad, because he could have had something to share, but to try and impress everyone with his post when he has no idea of what or how Ayre runs anything is just silly. He was a pain in Ayre's butt is what I was told. Nothing else needs to be said. It's just gotten ridiculous.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Angry

well well....the honey moon is over, tried to connect the Ayre link today, and well it didn't work, the last amp in the chain was not responding to the preamp signals. i tried MXR KXR MXR it clearly states that it doesn't matter in which order as long as you daisy chain, and don't complete the circuit..... and that is when things went awry. My beautiful repaired amp now doesn't produce music....the relay does not click when going from standby (green) to on (blue) and there is no sound. Tried swapping inputs it is a power amp problem not a preamp problem.
I think I'm heading for a divorce. The Ayre link cannot be so problematic, meanwhile I'm kind of in a bad place now. waiting to hear from Ayre.....again.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
well well....the honey moon is over, tried to connect the Ayre link today, and well it didn't work, the last amp in the chain was not responding to the preamp signals. i tried MXR KXR MXR it clearly states that it doesn't matter in which order as long as you daisy chain, and don't complete the circuit..... and that is when things went awry. My beautiful repaired amp now doesn't produce music....the relay does not click when going from standby (green) to on (blue) and there is no sound. Tried swapping inputs it is a power amp problem not a preamp problem.
I think I'm heading for a divorce. The Ayre link cannot be so problematic, meanwhile I'm kind of in a bad place now. waiting to hear from Ayre.....again.
Ayrelink is something I never understood since it can't put all the units to sleep by remote. I gave up on it.

So everything was fine until you attempted to hook up an Ayrelink linkup of all three units? And you are sure this is the same amp as last time? What do you mean by repaired, I thought you upgraded to Twenty? Are both MX-Rs plugged into the same socket?

Last edited by Bar81; 04-23-2017 at 12:44 PM.